on 9 April 2011
My brother had been on at me for a while to buy a Seasick Steve album and give his bluesy, bluegrass, folky music a try. He suggested I start with `I Started Out With Nothing And Still Got Most Of It Left' and after listening to this and his follow up `Man from Another Time' I have to agree it is a good place to get a feel for what Seasick Steve has to offer.

I love `Walkin' Man' where the blues slide guitar reminds me of a slightly rawer Keb Mo and if you enjoy this album I suggest you give Keb a try, although he is more polished. My favourite though has to be `Thunderbird' with it's distorted guitar and a beat that gets me stamping my feet along in time.

Steve introduces some songs with humorous asides and the last track finishes up with a tale from Steve's life living on the road. His music is as infectious as his story telling and once you buy one album I can guarantee you'll be searching out the others. Great, foot tapping, slide blues to get you smiling and singing along with.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 4 January 2010
I recently purchased this CD having seen Seasick Steve on Jules Holland's TV show, last year.I couldn't believe what I saw and heard!!
Steve's country/blues/ballad orientated music is certainly worth listening to.
Some tracks are rocky, others quieter. On the whole this a very well balanced CD.
Steve is accompanied by Dan Magnusson on drums, (excellent), with contributions from Ruby Turner and K T Tunstall too.
Steve reminds me of J J Cale for some reason, although in reality his style is quite different.
I like Steve's intros to some songs, it makes it kind of more natural to listen to, as if he is on your back porch about to play his songs just for you.
Incidentally, the guy is a good raconteur; there is a pleasant surprise folowing the final track, so if you buy this CD, don't switch your player off too soon!!
on 31 January 2014
Could there possibly be a better title for an album ?
This guy is superb.
He blew me away seeing him on Jools Hollands New Year show a number of years ago
and so I sought out his album.
I was not disappointed.
His blues style is right up my street.
I just hope that his new-found fame doesn't change him too much and that he keeps his
boot-clad feet firmly on the ground.
This is excellent.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2009
Seasick Steve is a bit of a legend that you cannot help but love, for his life, his musical history that gives him every reason to sing the blues. This, he does with aplomb detailing wonderful images of a life on the road, riding boxcars and drinking the odd meth related brew.

This collection of songs is good, but for me it's stretched a bit far over this record and could easily have been trimmed down.

Still, it is a likeable collection and well worth a buy.
on 18 May 2017
Does what it says on the tin.
on 19 February 2010
Heard Seasick Steve for the first time on breakfast television so thought I would download a couple for song on itunes. Loved them so bought the album. Guess I'm old fasioned but I still like to have a bit of plastic I can hold for my money. Great, upbeat blues sound from a guy who has obviously been there and done that.
Each song tells a story about his time on the road scraping a living with an itinerant lifestyle.
Buy it!
on 25 May 2017
Enjoyed this its a bit different
on 29 September 2009
I bought this cd as a gift for the "man who has everything" and who loves listening to all types of music - although he hadnt heard of "seasick steve" when he did hear the cd he absolutely loved it - its a "refreshing" listen, and if you like listening to "the hobo style blues" mixed with "country rhythm" and fantastic "steel guitar" then you'll LOVE this cd.
on 7 February 2009
I Started Out With Nothin And I Still Got Most Of It Left. -Seasick Steve.
Many good blues performers (like painters) only get recognised some time after they have died.
Great to see this one is well and truly alive (at 67)
Good variety of blues tracks with the trademark (it seems) half spoken last item.
Well worth buying
on 3 February 2016
got it for a birthday present in april will let you know then.I hope he likes it thank you daphne