on 5 April 2014
the one I received is probably a newer version since the label and the packaging is different from the pictures describing the card. It has a VIA chipset. Both VIA and Texas Instruments work well with firewire audio interfaces. Focusrite has a downloadable tool om their webpage, to check chipset compatibility with auio interfaces.
I bought it so I can use my TC Impact Twin and my Mackie Onyx mixer with my Lenovo x230. So far, so good: I got the card today and I will post more information after using it extensively.
6 people found this helpful
on 30 January 2014
Connects perfectly with my location recorder and my old MBOX2 Pro - saving me a lot of money in upgrading hardware. Works fine with Pro Tools 12 too. Remember to plug your Firewire device into the mains, as this card will not provide enough power to run peripherals like the MBOX2 Pro... It is a little flimsy and began failing to connect after about 18 months light use. I have no choice but to buy an identical replacement as it is the only ExpressCard 1394a FireWire card I know works with my system. I think this flimsy design is common to all express cards. If you decide to buy one, make sure you put something under the black connector part to support it and avoid the connection being broken. Also take care to put it in a protective box when travelling with it.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 July 2015
Happy day! Got my old DV Camera back in action again. I can now transfer my DVs via firewire on my laptop. Using Ubuntu 14.04 the installation was a breeze, worked first time and has done every time since. Had to buy 34-54 mm stabilizers as my laptop port is 54 mm. Really happy with this.
5 people found this helpful
on 31 May 2016
Exactly as advertised. Immeadiately recognised by my Win 10 laptop when inserted.
I would have given 5* except for one point.
This is a slot in device that would normally be utilised on certain occasions, then removed. However there is nothing supplied in which to store it. Why it is not supplied in a plastic box or even an heavy duty pop clip poly bag is a mystery.
on 14 April 2018
Works in lenovo t430. Push blanking plate in and blanking plate will pop out. Push card in until it stops. Push in as before to release card.
on 28 November 2017
Does what it should.
It connects from the laptop Express card slot to an external firewire hard drive. This is the only way if your laptop doesn't have such connection as the firewire signal is incompatible with the USB format.
on 9 November 2017
Bought this to use in my 2012 Macbook Pro as the firewire port was broken. Was sceptical that it would connect to my firewire audio mixer but it works perfectly. There are cards from Lindy and Sonnet which are twice or three times the price so don't pay more than you have to.Highly recommended.
on 7 May 2018
Fine product exactly as advertised good shipping.
on 11 February 2014
Needed this as my new laptop was missing a built in port. Works fine and stable with Win 7 x64
6 people found this helpful
on 18 August 2013
I was looking for a fire wire card for a customer who purchased a laptop without firewire facility, and required firewire to connect an old style camcorder to download videos. This card did the trick, arrived on time well packaged, simply pushed it into the card bay restarted the laptop and the firewire was recognized. Myself and customer were well pleased with the card and I would certainly recomend this to update a laptop to firewire
4 people found this helpful