on 23 March 2015
Like others who have reviewed this item, I'm a novice when it comes to opening up a PC and installing PCI cards etc. However with my old Dell Dimension 9200 running Windows Vista, this really could not have been any easier and I wish I had done this years ago. It was a simple two minute job, and the great thing about this particular FireWire Adapter Card & Port is that it can be used in bothe Low Profile and Standard brackets for expansion ports and comes with a FireWire cable included. Immediate recogniton with Windows Vista and it was no time before I had connected up my old Panasonic MiniDV camcorder to capture memories recorded from years ago. I've had loads of fun since installing this bit of kit, finally engaging in a spot of video editing & DVD making. Excellent product - exactly as advertised.
on 3 March 2008
I needed a low-profile firewire card for my Dell Dimension C521 PC, which has no firewire port, in order to upload videos from my Canon camcorder to the PC. Only one slot on the PC would accommodate it, so I had to remove an old unused dial-up modem card from that slot. Do make sure to fully uninstall the any card that's already there - I didn't do so first time round, which caused problems, but now the StarTech card works fine. I would recommend the product, particularly in view of the fact that StarTech gave me prompt & personal e-mail support in sorting out the problems caused by failing to uninstall the old modem card beforehand.
13 people found this helpful
on 10 May 2015
Simple to install, all I needed to do was swap the bracket from half to full height, plug it in and power up. Worked from the off and enabled me to get video from an old JVC digital camcorder.

I found it useful having both 4 and 6 pin ports, so I didn't need to get an additional cable.

Installed on Windows 7 64.
on 29 October 2008
I recently purchased a new computer which had a Firewire port at the front and so I automatically assumed it would have the hardware required. I was wrong and was in need of a fireware card to capture video from my Mini-DV JVC camcorder.

After checking various sites and finally deciding on this card, I was not disappointed!!

I physically installed the card into my pc, put the case back together and switched the pc on. Straight away, the card was recognised and drivers from windows were automatically installed. It was ready to use in under a minute!! Very impressed!

I am running XP and my camcorder is a JVC GR-D340EK Mini-DV for those that have similar specs.

Would highly recommend this card for ease of use to any major techno-phobes like me!!!
9 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2009
As with a previous reviewer I needed a Low Profile Firewire card for my slimline Dell 530s in order to connect my camcorder.

This card is perfect...here's why:

Not only is this card dirt cheap, but it came the next day and within 10 minutes of its arrival I was already transferring video.

The card itself is exactly as advertised, 2 Port (plus 1 internal) Firewire. It comes with a 6 Pin (Male) to 4 Pin (Male) Firewire cable; perfect if you need to convert from DV to Firewire.

It is 100% compatible with Windows Vista, so NO problems at all.

This little jem also comes with Ulead's Video Editor, so for anyone wanting to get their video editing off to a quick start, you couldn't get better than this.
5 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2012
Some of these dont support 64 bit but this one works okey. easy instilation but minor thing my PC slot didnt have any screw to secure the PCI. you need one tiny screw, not sure if shuld cme with PCI or PC supposes to have one for each slot at the back. Any how item is good.
One person found this helpful
on 10 December 2016
required for the pc
on 5 April 2016
This product has done the job that i wanted it to do and works fine :)
on 26 March 2015
Buyer of my old pc needed a Firewire. This fitted the bill perfectly.
on 31 July 2014
GREAT DEAL ON THIS ( RETURNED AS WOULD MOT FIT BAY ON MY PC WRONG PCI SLOT )