Customer reviews

on 18 July 2017
Great book that puts all the original characters in a uniquely different environment from what you are used to. Also much darker than the original storylines, so gets a big thumbs up from me!
on 10 May 2017
Read it in 3 days! A new enemy fascinating in their sheer alienness for want of a better word. Getting the second book now.
on 7 June 2005
I feel it always takes time getting into new books, the style of the author and the setting. As far as the Expanded Universe goes i think i skipped ahead 10 years so i missed out the Solo kids pretty much growing up, but that wasn't a big problem. The author pretty much got down their personalities down early and well and left no confusion about where they stood and who they where.
The whole ExGal thing was a little long winded, i understand that what happened had to happen that way to develop the plot, but it still dragged a little and that was probably the only bad part of the book.
It was always difficult for an author to set the scene for a long running series, as with The New Jedi Order series, and even more difficult to have to kill one of the main and best loved characters off in the first book of that series, but i was pretty satisfied with this book when i had finished it, and was looking forward to the second in the series.
on 7 December 1999
What can I say?
This is possibly the most eagerly anticipated Star Wars book since Timothy Zahn took up the pen for the Hand of Thrawn duology. Once I started this book, I didn't put it down again. Reading it from cover to cover was too easy! Well done Mr Salvatore. Beware, this book will shake the core of the Star Wars Extended Universe and you may not like the way it goes around it. Don't blame the author though, it was a request to Salvatore by George Lucas himself that the story takes this dramatic turn. Overall, an excellent edition of the Star Wars Universe!
on 6 August 2000
Sensibly, this new story line puts several years between Zahn's Hand of Thrawn duology and thankfully the new threat is far more interesting than the former conflicts involving Imperial remnants and super-weapons.
The Yuuzhan Vong, with their fleet of living warships, become the biggest threat to the New Republic since the days when Thrawn was actually alive. It is their total difference to any past enemies that make this story such a winner. You really cannot see our heroes beating their supreme enemies, especially when a hero of old is sacrificed.
Han and Leia's children have developed wonderfully into three very different, but very strong young Jedi, and these three have been elevated to central figures alongside their more illustrious predecessors. This is a clear sign that this storyline is moving away from the comfortable old heroes that we know and love, and is all the better for it; they can't go on forever, but we are seeing other characters more than capable of taking up the mantle.
My only gripe would be the over reliance on human characters, we need another Dorsk 81, and that some of the Jedi, particularly Kyp Durron, just don't act like you know Jedi should. Yoda would be turning in his grave, but he'd like the book.
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2004
Until recently, the only Star Wars books I have read are the ones that have been movies, the famous ones because at that time these were the only ones to interest me. However, after a friend read the whole New Jedi Order series he recommended that I do the same. Rather dubiously, I picked up Vector Prime when heading off on my summer holidays.
I found that the book starts quite dull and have to admit that I was bored. It was certainly not what I expected and I could not really get into it. I found that, due to not reading any of the previous books in the series, I was confused with some of the new characters. It was only after the third chapter that the book started to grip me and I then found that I could not put it down. I think this was because I started to grasp who was who and began to understand where the plot was going.
The story line was fantastic, especially at the end (I don’t want to give any thing away, so no details!). It was great to see well-beloved characters again, Luke and Han Solo etc, and to see where their lives had lead them after the film had ended. In this book you will find a great read and a few surprises, I can’t wait for the next one.
I would recommend that you read the books in between first but this one is definitely worth the read.
on 18 June 2000
Vector prime grips you from the first chapter and keeps hold of you right to the very end. A real refreshing read, a new breath of life into the Star Wars world.
on 15 May 2000
R.A Salvatore has written in the true spirit of the starwars genre, he has captured the speed of the X-Wing books, and the depth of I-Jedi, a true one to read!
on 13 January 2013
Very well written, but the dude killed off Chewie, I never bought this book years ago when I had a huge star wars novel collection because of that fact, must've forgotten, bought it, got to the part where Chewie dies and deleted it.
on 9 December 1999
As soon as I saw this in hardback i just had to buy it.... (Sorry Visa i know you hate me for it...... BUT)
A new starwars novel with a new author with a good track record (ignore the caderly stuff) and what looks like an intresting premise...
The new Aliens I think were brilliant, totaly unexpected and perfect for a new set of badies for the starwars universe (are these some of the badies hinted at by Zahn in specter of the past?) thier "technology" is inspired and shows so much promise......
I like the way that Salvatore has advanced the socail situation in the universe and its nice not to have the empire finding yet another superweapon/fleet/commander left over from before RTJ to bring the republic to the brink of collapse yet again *YAWN* thou I think it was a tragedy that this book seemed forced to wrap up what could have been a brilliant trilogy in the last two chapters *ARGH*
And last but not least respect to Salvatore for doing what no one else had the courage to do..... I won't say anymore than that so I won't spoil it for anyone going to read this novel.... but I was in tears....