TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 June 2016
This is one of the best Star Wars novels - mixing elements of the fictional universe created by George Lucas with an original plot, set during the distant past, and involving a new and highly fascinating character. This book introduces Darth Bane - who, although protagonist, is actually the villain of the story. "Path of Destruction" is the first volume in a three-part series of novels about the life of this incredibly powerful Dark Lord of the Sith, written by Drew Karpyshyn. Given the quality of the storytelling, alongside the expert handling of the Star Wars mythos, I fully recommend all three novels.

This initial instalment in the trilogy takes place just over 1,000 years before the events of 'A New Hope'. The galaxy is divided and at war - with the Sith Order amassing its armies against the Jedi and the Republic they defend. On a remote mining world, a strong and muscular worker named Dessel - who, unbeknownst to others, is strong with the Force - must flee, as he becomes a wanted man. He enlists into the ranks of the Sith army - and quickly distinguishes himself as a warrior. It's then that the Sith realise the true potential within Dessel - and so they decide to teach him the ancient ways of their Order, and he is renamed Darth Bane.

Bane quickly excels - but feels that his teachers lack the knowledge and powers to adequately instruct him in the ways of the Force. So he embarks upon a journey of discovery, seeking the ancient and long-forgotten wisdom of the early Sith. Eventually he finds the Temple of the Ancients, and Bane discovers Darth Revan's holocron. Using this knowledge, Bane crafts the Rule of Two - that the Sith ought to comprise of no more than a master and an apprentice ... all others are superfluous. And so he decides to destroy the other Sith - using a mythical weapon known as the thought bomb. The story culminates on a world in the midst of a battle between the Sith and Jedi - and it's there that Bane proves his mastery ...

If you're a Star Wars fan, I cannot recommend this novel too highly. It's action-packed, fast paced, with an interesting story and a great main character. I especially enjoyed discovering events and worlds set so long before the films. More than anything, this book is a lot of fun.
on 2 June 2017
I must have read this book about 5-6 times since I bought it many years ago, and each time I find it difficult to put down. The story moves so well, and is so engaging, that I easily burn through about half the book in a few hours.

To me, there are two big stars of this shows. The character of Bane, and his training.

The story itself, while pretty good, is in my mind not much more than a backdrop for the character development of Bane, and the development of his powers. The way Bane perceives the world around him, and his training, makes him a unique character. Just as Traya from KOTOR 2 saw the flaws in both Jedi and Sith teachings, Bane is of a similar stock, recognising the faults in Sith teachings. The way he plays and manipulates events makes him a true protagonist. He is not someone to whom the story happens, rather he is someone who makes events happen.

His training is so well-written and detailed. It is obvious Karpyshyn drew on his own writings of the Sith Academy from KOTOR 1, but in this book he gives them layers. The way he describes combat is perfect as well, and one fight in particular has stayed with me for all these years.

If you are a Star Wars fan and, more importantly I think, a KOTOR fan, then this book is perfect for you, and you should have read it by now.
on 19 April 2017
My favourite Starwars story, I love this book trilogy, this first one probably being my favourite, It's one of my favourite origin story's set in a very great timeline where there's plenty of sith and jedi to wage war against. Drew does a great job setting up Bane as a character and your left routing for him the entire way, even though he's not the nicest of guys. from his humble beginnings, to his military career to his trials at the academy you really get behind this character the whole way. A must read for any Starwars fan.
on 21 May 2012
This book is the journey of Des who becomes Bane then Darth Bane. The story is well written and griping the last few chapters are from the Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith. I enjoyed this book, it is a constant reminder of how evil and self-serving the Sith really are, no matter how much power they promise. Des joins the Sith out of necessity, there he finds the current Sith Lords watered down versions of the Sith Lords of old. So much so that they do not even use the title of Darth any more. Bane rejects their teachings and decides it is time to rebuild the order from the shadows.
on 19 August 2008
Before I begin, as a back-note I've played star wars role-playing games on the pc previous to reading this book and gained quite a bit of knowledge on the star wars universe from other places too.

I first spotted this book while looking for something to read when I was previously going on holiday.
The moment I picked it up I was reading it, and this was before I'd even bought it. To say the least I was getting hints from the shop staff to either buy it or put it back, lol.

I completed it 2 days later with extreme annoyance that I couldn't go and get the English written sequel in turkey lol. An then once I got back home I found out it hadn't even been released yet.

The book is filled with strategic well placed character advancements and plot twists, that are thouroughly entrancing to read. As a warning, don't read if you've got to be somewhere on the same day.

As I mentioned earlier I played read a few books and played a few games with a hell of a lot of back story and general star wars info in them, so I know alot about star wars, if your a star wars afficionado and need to find something else to fuel your collection or just looking for a good read, then I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you.

I hope you have as much fun reading and rereading this book as I did!
on 10 July 2007
As a stand alone novel, set a 1000 years before 'The Phantom Menace', this story charts the rise of the Sith Lord 'Darth Bane' and how he learns the Dark Side of the Force. He quickly discovers the 'Sith' have lost their way and sets about to put the order back on the true path, which eventually culminates in the rising of Sidious and Vader - 'Two there should be. No more, no less. One to Embody the Power and one to crave the Power' this is Bane's testimony to the 'Sith' order.
This is one of my favourite books in the Star Wars Universe and it is brilliant from begining to end, as it charts the rise of Bane. It reveals a side not usually explored in the Star Wars Universe and I found that I ended up wanting Bane to succeed over the Sith and Jedi. (APOLOGIES) The book leaves scope for more follow ups (one is being released at Christmas time) and the writer's engaging style will mean I will be one of the first to buy the sequels. All in all an excellent book and in some ways it reminded me of Raymond E Feist's 'Magician'.
on 17 July 2007
This is without a doubt the greatest book that i have ever read. Not being a big star wars myself i never would have believed that i would ever say that. However, the entire story is so gripping that even after the first page i was hooked and i couldn't put the book down until i had finished it. The dark side of the force is a powerful thing but i also felt that the book had a funny inclin to it and i just had to laugh at some of the things that the characters said. all in all though i would recommend this book to anyone regardless of whether they like star wars or not.
on 1 March 2009
This is a really good starwars book my only criticism is some of the dialogue is bland,samey, and stilted; it is as though the authour just couldnt be bothered to make the characters say something engaging ( writers block, i think its called)

Saying that there are some great scenes and dialogue in it. But be warned theres some filler in here too!

p.s. i actually meant to give it 5 stars. but pressed 3 by mistake -even with the stilted dialouge this is a brilliant starwars book-
on 16 December 2006
This is the kind of Star Wars book I've always had trouble with in the past, the 'stand alone' novel. Frankly, after the initial Thrawn Trilogy, some extremely dubious stand alone novels were published and drove me away from the franchise (I'm sorry I never bought into the Hutt's potential rein of terror with a reconstructed Death Star laser, or Luke's seemingly endless run of bad relationships with force users when the Mara relationship was obvious right from Heir to the Empire blah blah.) I only returned for New Jedi Order and since then for Legacy of the Force. Amazon recommendations kept on throwing this book up at me and I kept ignoring and rejecting it... it is, after all, a stand alone novel.

And it's GOOD.

This is the work of a writer who's clearly existed in the world he's writing about for some time (being I believe one of the designers of the Knights of the Old Republic games) and he's come up with a well told, cohesive story with a solid plot line that really takes us through why the Sith become what they are by the time of the Prequel films. The development of the lead character is believable and well handled. That he isn't invulnerable from the start and does fail (unlike certain characters in the films) in what he sets out to do, before coming back all the stronger, gives him depth and motivation. Nor are any of the characters (who are all essentially villains) cliched and 'bad' for the sake of it.

I read this novel in one afternoon (I'm a fast reader) and if I had any criticisms of it then those would be first that the circumstances Bane starts his life are something sci-fi readers have seen several times before (the STEN series comes to mind for the background, but even that took the concept from elsewhere) but at least it's new to Star Wars. My other criticism is that the ending is slightly less satisfying than the quality of the rest of the novel suggests it should be. On the other hand the author is dealing with a fixed ending - he has to leave the Sith Order as it will be in Episode 1 and therefore he doesn't have the freedom to do more than close Bane's story. Small niggles in an excellent Star Wars story, even if it doesn't involve any characters we've seen before.
on 7 September 2011
I thought this book was a good read. Well-paced, with an interesting storyline that, for Star Wars fans, explains where the rule of two came from. Starts off a bit weird with some bloke in a mine, who...well, you'll see when you read it.

It's also a neat device that's used to describe how Bane achieves his ends - quite inventive, if leaning a little to the 'fantasy' end (though that's what the Force does anyway, across the whole expanded universe).

Anyway, the problem with this book is that, once you've read it, you have to read the other two in the series. More cost, but actually it's not a problem because the mini-series is an entertaining read.

Well worth the investment in time and money.