Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£6.99|
Save £3.00 (43%)
Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
Price set by seller.
Star Trek: Vanguard #4: Open Secrets (Star Trek: The Original Series) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 452 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book is another enjoyable chapter in the Vanguard series although it didn’t wow me as much as its predecessor, “Reap The Whirlwind”. The storyline developments were interesting and the characters continue to entertain me but there were just no real surprises or twists involved. Everything pretty much progressed as you would expect and there were no elements there that really struck me as being gripping or memorable.
One of the real issues I had with the novel however is in regards to the pacing which at times reduced my reading progress to a slow slog. I think the basic problem was that the novel is overly wordy at times to the point of distraction. Ward is basically using 20 words when 10 would have sufficed and for some reason the editing process has failed to rectify this. It is a shame as some competent editing could have dealt rather easily with this issue to ensure the pacing was better.
A nice element to the story is in regards to Ward’s ability to link various events into the wider Star Trek universe.Read more ›
Carrying on days after the dramatic end of Reap The Whirlwind, Commodore Reyes now faces a court-martial for letting Tim Pennington release the information on the Shedai and the incident of Gamma Tauri IV to the news networks. Reyes is removed from command and Commander Cooper is placed in charge until a replacement can be found.
The Klingons continue to push into the reach but after the incident at Jinoteur they are prepared for war with anyone who gets in their way.
Commodore Reyes' replacement is none other than Admiral Heihachiro Nogura (Starfleet's 'old man' himself) who shakes up the status quo within moments of his arrival. His first week on the job goes from bad to worse when Klingon attacks in the area escalate and a Tholian renegade demands sanctuary on the station.
Doctor M'Benga and Tim Pennington take T'Prynn back to Vulcan in an effort to heal her before her mind collapses in on itself forever.
Lt. Xiong also has help on the meta-genome project in the form of a young scientist called Carol Marcus. Between them and the Tholian they determine that they must return to Erilon, site of the first Shedai attack, and with the Tholian's assistance, hope to reactivate the Shedai conduit there.
While Reyes finds himself dealing with Rana and his court-martial, Nogura has to try to diffuse tensions in the area, prevent the return of the Shedai and try to stop an interstellar war.Read more ›
The thing is that it is an ongoing storyline and it is quite difficult to pick up the story without having read the previous books. There is a short summary of the story so far at the front of the book and in the previous book in the series, "Reap the Whirlwind", a very comprehensive glossary which I looked at from time to time.
But this is a great series, like watching a series on telly and I'm just wanting the next installment NOW! Every installment is a fantastic romp in the 23rd century Trek universe with one or two familiar names but mostly a whole new cast of characters. Enjoy!
It does develop the characters that are already estblished within the series.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Contemporary Fiction
- Books > Fiction > Film & Television Tie-In
- Books > Fiction > Literary Fiction
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > TV, Movie, Video Game Adaptions
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Movie Tie-Ins
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > TV, Movie, Video Game Adaptations > Star Trek