Customer reviews

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£29.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 8 August 2012
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home has always been one of the films (alongside Star Trek: First Contact) that for me transcended the franchise; it was accessible to those who had no real prior knowledge of Star Trek, and neither was a prior knowledge necessary in order to gain enjoyment. The 'Voyage Home' is simply a fun and at times exciting story, yes some of the in-jokes would be lost on 'non-believers', but is very much a romp that could be enjoyed by all age groups; I personally have very clear memories of watching the film quite regularly on VHS with my family when younger.

And so the soundtrack continues that theme.

It is composed and conducted by Leonard Rosenman; this was his only contribution to the Star Trek cannon, and although there are some familiar references within the score, these are few and far between and it is quite different in tone. It is an upbeat and light score, something that can not be often said of Star Trek film music, with only the occassional 'serious' moment.

The album consists of eleven tracks and has a running time of just over thirty-six minutes, this is quite a short soundtrack and clearly has content missing; I understand that there is a more complete version available, but some research has shown that it is considerably more expensive than this version (approximately £30 to £40), so you need to ask yourself the question is it worth it to you or not? For me this version is sufficient, yes if I'm being honest I would prefer a longer album, but all the best material from the score is included (in my opinion).

I bought this soundtrack primarily as a completist, apart from this and 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn' I have managed to collect all the other soundtracks over the past few years; it is ironic though that perhaps my two favorite soundtracks in the series have been left to last!

Overall I'm very pleased with this purchase, it's great fun, good quality, and I obtained it at a most reasonable price!
on 3 March 2013
I'm a big fan of movie soundtracks. Needed this to add to my collection. I have always loved this stuff.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse