Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£4.95+ £2.80 shipping

on 9 August 2010
My first contact with the borg in HIGH DEFINITION swept me off my feet. One of the best ST feature films amazed me again. Watched on my 24" LED monitor it was stunning. I love the new ST blu-ray menu. Funny that most blu-ray have crap menus but this one is amazing. Loaded with extras a real bargain to be watched over and over again.
Pure HD entertainment. You will experience details both audio and video which will really surprise you. Go get it. Delivery was good not excellent but patience is a virtue
on 28 August 2010
I bought this Blu-ray to watch on a friend's machine and I was so impressed with the quality gain that the very next day I replaced my computer with a new system that can handle Blu-Rays. Yes, the quality difference was THAT CONVINCING. Instant assimilation!

I think pretty much all of the additional material is in standard definition. This includes the original trailer, and you can clearly see the difference in quality. The trailer, despite only being 14 years old, has grain and jitter, but by comparison the HD presentation of the movie is crisp, detailed, and vivid. The sound is truly excellent.

If you ever got a thrill from watching the fleet's desperate defence of Earth, or seeing the vein pop out of the side of Patrick's head when he goes off the deep end with his Ahab impression, you absolutely must buy this Blu-ray. And a player to watch it on... I don't call mine my Blu-ray drive, I call it my First Contact drive :)
on 11 November 2005
This is a really well made film. It has a good plot, good action, nice effects and the Borg!
Having failed to assimilate Earth at the battle of Wolf 359 in the ST:TNG double episode 'Best of Both Worlds', the Borg go back in time to try to assimilate Earth again. Trouble is that since Picard was partially assimulated in the previously mentioned double episode, he can 'hear' the Borg collective in his head and so is there to thwart the Borg's attempts as they travel through time. Here is the only plot hole in this film. Why travel through time whilst you have the whole of the Federation's ships around you and risk the possbility of another ship following you through the time rift? Why not travel back in the privacy of 'Borg space' and no-one would ever know the difference! Anyway - the Enterprise manages to follow the Borg back in time to a historic moment when mankind is just getting over World War III (yes, 3!) and one crazy scientist is converting an old missile into a ship equipped with a prototype warp drive system. Its maiden flight is about to take place and this will trigger a series of events that will lead to the creation of the Federation (see the Enterprise series for more details). The Borg see this as an ideal opportunity to take over mankind and its up to our entrepid Enterprise crew to stop them.
This film has all the elements of good Trek. It plays on the strongly established main characters and their relationships, it ties in well with established Trek canon, it has a good balance on action and humerous moments. Patrick Stewart gives a stellar performance as Captain Picard thanks to a well written script and the directorship of fellow crewman, Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker).
I doubt that you will have missed this film if you are at all into Star Trek as it is a classic. Even if you are not into Star Trek, you will enjoy and appreciate a well made film. The extra's on this DVD are on a par with previous Special Editions with good commentary by cast and crew.
A worth addition to anyone's DVD collection.
on 6 February 2012
Last time I watched this film it was on VHS. It is the first Blu-Rauy I've watched and what a huge difference to the DVD's I've watched. Not only does it look good, but the sound is enhanced too, even though I have a standard HD Ready TV.
on 1 August 2006
First Contact should have shown the people behind making Star Trek movies how to do it - action, excitement and drama. Unfortunately, this is the only Next Generation movies that really shines.

The Borg are a terrific enemy, as they do not kill their enemey but assimilate them and turn them into the Borg themselves and they quickly adapt to become immune to phaser fire. They also look much better than they did in the lower budget TV show, especially when they are adapt to phasers.

It is also brilliant to see the first Warp flight, giving meaning and purpose to the history of Star Trek. One SLIGHT criticism here is that they got their dates a little mixed up here. In the first ever episode of the Next Generation (Encounter at Farpoint), we learn that man kind was ruled by a drug-fueled, military obcessed totalitarian government in the 2070s. But yet here man kind is 'united in a way no one thought possible' from 2063 onwards? Sorry to sound geeky, but that just bugged me a little.

The new Enterpirse looks superb, but unfortunately doesn't appear in enough shots to give us a good look like we saw in the Motion Picture (rectified in the next movie).

All in all, a great Star Trek film. I'd rank it just behind II The Wrath of Khan and VI The Undiscovered Country, but it is easily the best of the Next Generation films.
on 25 July 2016
star trek first contact is one of the best star trek films ever, the first totally next gen cast outing it manages to capture the essence of star trek, great characters, a great enemy the borg, fantastic story time travel, Humour all the best elements of star trek in one film. A visual delight with top notch special effects and costume/ set design with a musical score that captures the imagination of the star trek universe. A film that exceeded expectations capturing the praise of fans and new watchers alike.
space battles, time travel, a unique enemy, Next gen cast, great special effects, perfect pacing a film that represents the star trek universe perfectly Jonathan Frakes directs this film what more can you ask
on 16 July 2011
I have been a Star Trek Fan for a very long time, and First Contact has to be one of my favourite films, not just of Trek, but in general, so imagine my delight when I saw a copy of the remastered edition of the film available for less than £5!

Needless to say I bought it straight away, and I plan to buy all the others in remastered edition too.

I was a little disappointed when I got the confirmation e-mail telling me that my product wouldn't arrive for another week or so, but on the other hand I though it was so cheap and there was no postage to pay that I couldn't moan, and I was so glad I didn't. The post arrived only 2 days later and in amongst all the junk was an Amazon package.

I sat down with my partner and we enjoyed the film with a nice glass of red, and we also enjoyed the extras too.

The film itself is a fantastic story and I wont spoil it for anyone reading this but if you love the Borg it is well worth a watch.
on 9 December 2013
I have watched most, if not all, of the Star Trek franchise movies. Some were dire and some excellent. Which ones you enjoy and which you do not is all down to personal taste, expectation and past enjoyment (or otherwise) of the other films. This, however, has to be my favorite. It has style, history and humour. This is, to my mind, the best of the films, beating even Wrath of Khan which I did not think possible. I like the way it fills in the gaps such as where warp drive was first developed, Human/Vulcan contact, and also the part played by the Borg in kickstarting the faster-than-light speed technology of mankind. All in all, a very pleasant 106 minutes.
on 31 January 2003
I've been a fan of Star Trek Movies ever since I saw Wrath of Kahn for the first time. However, most since then have been dreadful (not including "Generations"!)
But this film has restored my faith in Star Trek Films (and sci-fi films in general!)
This film has good charactisation, a good story, and very well directed (Johnathon Frakes aka Will Riker!)
This story is basically this: (pay attention!)
The Borg are back!
(if you don't know about the Borg, they are part organic/part machine who assimilate other races into their collective, which is controlled by a single mind! They are very strong and can adapte so that certain weapons do not hurt them! They fly around space in huge cube shaped ships which are very difficult to destory. The Borg have no individuals in its collective as they all work as a single mind. They assimilate other races in order to add individual skills into their collective in an effort to become perfect!)
This time the Borg plan to destory the human race by going back in time and preventing them from launching Earth's first Warp-drive space craft. In doing so, it would prevent Earth's first encounter with an alien race and so destroying Earth's future! This would make us easy prey for assimilation!
Cue The Enterprise lead by Jean-Luc "Action Man" Picard! (someone who was once assimilated into their collective!) They travel back in time to stop the Borg! However, all doesn't go to plan! Whilst some of the crew are on Earth's surface, the Enterprise has been boarded by the Borg and are slowly being over-run! Deck after deck of crew are assimilated.
So, the remaing crew set about getting their ship back! They are overpowered and forced into retreat when Data (the lovable Brent Spiner on top form!) is captured! There he meets the Borg Queen (Anna Kreig) and is tempted by flesh! So Jean Luc set out to try and stop the Borg and rescue Data before the Earth's future and The Enterprise is destroyed!
This is a rip-roaring film with some really funny moments (all of the crew have at least one funny line including Worf!)
THis has been well thought out and superbly brought to the screen! Brilliant special effects and a great music score!
This is a must-see for everyone, not just Star Trek fans!
on 20 November 2000
What a smashingly entertaining mix of star trek and horror. There is no doubt that this 'Best of both worlds' spin off is one of the better Trek movies. Jonathon Frakes takes the helm to direct this movie and what a brilliant job he has done. From the initial pull back out of the Borg ship, to the maiden flight of the Phoenix, this film is packed with brilliant effects, including great CGI. The Borg are back, with a voice and they are excellently represented by Alice Kridge as the Borg Queen. Put this in yor Shopping basket now! Only one complaint for Paramount, where are the Extras this DVD is crying out for?