Find Your Way Home--Bestselling Sat NavsPlan ahead and avoid traffic jams with one of our bestselling sat navs from top brands including TomTom and Garmin. We also stock a great range of up-to-date and fully-routable maps for your device, including popular destinations such as France, Portugal, North America and Scotland.
- Also check our best rated Travel Book reviews
Star Maps: History, Artistry, and Cartography (Springer Praxis Books) Paperback – 13 Jun 2012
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the reviews of the second edition:“Nick Kanas’ ‘Star Maps’ lets you have a peek in some of the oldest and most famous star maps that were drawn and printed. … Star Maps also gives a short overview of the history of astronomy from it’s beginning to the 20th century and also describes some of the earliest instruments that astronomers used - astrolabe, armillary sphere, volvelle. … If you’re really into maps, then this is a cool book to read as well.” (Kadri Tinn, AstroMadness.com, August, 2013)
From the Back Cover
Star Maps captures the beauty and awe of the heavens through celestial prints and star atlases. It traces the history of celestial cartography and relates this history to the changing ideas of humanity's place in the universe. The text of this Second Edition is enriched with 263 photographs, 91 in color, showing images from actual antiquarian celestial books and atlases, each one with an explanation of its astronomical and cartographic features.
This new edition of Star Maps: History, Artistry, and Cartography includes:
- over 50 new pages of text and 44 new images (16 in color)
- completely new sections on celestial frontispieces, deep-sky objects, playing card maps, additional cartographers, and modern computerized star maps
- updated figures and text about celestial globes, volvelles, telescopes, and planets and asteroids
- revised and updated text and illustrations throughout.
The book focuses on the development of celestial cartography from ancient to modern times and describes the relationships between different star maps and atlases. It demonstrates contemporary cosmological ideas, constellation representations, and cartographic advances. Uniquely, it contains material on early American influences and non-European constellation representations. This book is a must-have reference for anyone interested in the workings of the heavens.See all Product description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Historical Study & Educational Resources > Historiography
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Charts
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Popular Astronomy
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > History of Science
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Atlases & Maps > Special Interests > Road & Car