Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.47

on 18 April 2012
I waited ages for this book. and it didn't disappoint. Martin appears older and more jaded which is a good thing given everything he has been through. what started out as a cheap quick read with book 1 has turned out to be me buying and reading every book in the series.
on 23 June 2012
After completing the final instalment of what I can only describe as an old school space opera I feel a sense of anticlimax not experienced since civilisation vanquished the dark forces of Boskone; but anticlimax only in the sense of thats it! No more! I thoroughly enjoyed the series and feel genuine sadness that the journey alongside many diverse characters is at an end.

My comments really cover the whole series, not just the last episode. It had everything, a struggling band of flawed heroes fighting impossible odds, implacable enemies, a race against time, system spanning battles involving weapons of super science... There are clear influences from other works including some of my personal favourites such as E. E. Smith's Lensman series and Christopher Rowley's Starhammer books all of which I feel Vaughn Heppner has paid homage to.

I have no hesitation on recommending the Doomstar series to anyone who enjoys a good ripping yarn.

My only criticism SPOILER ALERT

I sort of hoped Osadar would meet up with Captain Mune, she deserves a break.
on 8 May 2014
This has been one of the best written, scientifically informative and enjoyable series I've read to date. Fantastic. A shame this will probably be the last in the series. Must now move on to read Vaughan's other series.
on 3 February 2013
I sort of hoped that they would suddenly all decide to get on with each other and live happily ever after. No such luck, this is a battle to the death and nobody is taking any prisoners. A riveting read right to the end. The end may be a bit too good to be true. There will have to be another book as it can't be left at that. I will look forward to it with bated breath to see who makes a comeback.
on 8 February 2013
I love this series and even though i have not yet completed book 6, it has not dissapointed. I would definatly recomend it! I was so excited when i completed book five and found that book six was ready.
on 27 July 2012
I have now read all six books in this series and i must say it is one of the best stories i have read in a long time, i think there is scope for the story to continue but that will be up to the author, lets hope he does continue the story.
on 3 September 2012
The six book collection is a fresh and totally addictive read. The characters are portrayed in a way that
makes them so engaging that you read the full six books and no others in between. Please please write one more
book as we need to know if Martens hopes and dreams become reality.
on 20 November 2014
I started reading Vaughn Heppner by accident, but really enjoyed his books. The Doom Star series started out with lots going on, but as the books moved on, the key characters started to emerge and I found myself buying each book in turn to follow the main characters of Marten, Omi and the very funny Osadar, who reminds me of the red dwarf character Kryten. A very enjoyable series and I hope that there is a book 7 at some stage in the future. Thoroughly recommend to anyone who enjoys a well paced sci fi book
on 27 July 2014
Just finished reading the whole series of these books.
It is definitely worth the cost.
A proofreading exercise would be a good idea, there are many spelling mistakes, although these in no way detract from the enjoyment.
on 30 April 2012
This series has not failed to disappoint since I first took a chance on the first one. At under a pound at the time, I figured I didn't have much to lose, and since then I have eagerly awaited the next instalment and devoured them all in almost a single sitting each time. This review is therefore for the series as a whole and not just for no. 6 "Star Fortress"

The adventures of Marten Kluge in a brutal, dark and unforgiving Solar System is a great ride, with the will to never give up the fight, no matter how hopeless the situation seems to be, a continuous theme. Some great bits of tech and facts & figures in there, although not too much that it descends into techno-babble. Plus, it's a damn good story to boot. I really cared about Marten and his fate, despised the arrogant Highborn and shuddered at the inhuman Cyborg hordes.

One criticism, and I hesitate to call it that, (perhaps a minor quibble) is that although the tale ends in a satisfying conclusion, it felt a little compressed and hurried. To be honest though, that may just be because I didn't want it to to end.

All in all, absolutely great stuff, and a superb bit of escapism.