Customer reviews

Star Clusters and How to Observe Them (Astronomers' Observing Guides)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2016
This is yet another Springer book ruined by print-on-demand (the third I've suffered from Springer this year alone). Each and every one of the "superb amateur CCD images" is a poor quality monochrome reproduction that is essentially useless. Since this is an astronomical observing guide, such laxity is inexcusable, especially at the price being asked. Amazon, minimally you should be making it much clearer to the buyer that these are print-on-demand books and allow us to decide whether to take the risk or not. I imagine anyone receiving these books will immediately return for a refund -- so come on Amazon, when are you going to learn the lesson that we won't tolerate poor quality PODs? As for Springer, this has ruined your reputation as a serious publisher for me. I never have these problems with similar kinds of books bought from Cambridge University Press.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 February 2013
I have not completed the book and have only looked though it at one or two items. What I can see from what I have read is very good and informative. A little expensive though.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 July 2006
Books specifically about Star Clusters are a rare breed (there are 2, Archinal & Hayes book AND this one!) So I ordered this book with bated breath.

I am glad to report that it did not dissapoint. The scientific data is fresh, non-technical and bang up-to-date and covers all types of clusters including remnants, extragalactic clusters and asterisms. The observing guide and object list is thorough and accessible, and unlike most general deep sky books, the content is geared specifically towards star clusters. Would I recommend this book to cluster enthusiasts and beginners? You bet!
on 26 May 2006
This book is easy to read yet goes quite deep into star cluster science and physics - but with a down to earth approach. As a newcomer to astronomy, I found the observing guide very helpful. Even the sections on equipment and techniques were useful as they are geared to star cluster observation. The list of objects is thorough and well thought out - but It could have been larger!

The author states he is an amateur astronomer himself - and his passion for the subject certainly shows.

Highly recommended!