Customer reviews

on 18 September 2000
THE BOOK FOCUSSES ON THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF 'Olly Double', and takes a wry look at life from the comedians' own eyes. The book was assigned to be read as part of a comedy course at University and so although obligated to read it, I found myself compelled to not put it down. The book made enjoyable reading, and I would advise anyone that enjoys looking at the lighter side of Real Life to invest in this. This is a must for the bookshelf if you have the courage to put it down!
One person found this helpful
on 20 August 2003
This is a book on the social history, the economics and the nitty-gritty of stand-up comedy. It's written by a working comic (and lecturer on comedy) and so its guaranteed to be interesting to anybody who's enjoyed a chuckle at a comedian. I particularly liked the treatment of, the reasons for and the grim reality of, racist commedy (Double isn't afraid to tell it like it is and some of the things he recounts make you shudder).
But if you even half-liked this book, then you must read Tony Allen's "Attitude".
3 people found this helpful
on 1 November 1999
The subject of this book is not one that would normally have attracted me: I had to read it, because the author is my brother. However, I found it an excellent and enjoyable read: in fact I couldn't put it down.
The book is a history and analysis of stand-up comedy in Britain, enlivened and illustrated by the author's own experiences of performing as a stand-up comedian. You might expect a book of history and analysis to be dry and uninteresting, but the style is easy and informal, so it kept my interest throughout.
The personal reminiscences are used to shed light on the story of the development of stand-up. They give another perspective to the historical facts, and add an extra dimension to the analyses.
To conclude, I really enjoyed this book, and I would recommend anyone to read it.
2 people found this helpful