Customer reviews

on 12 April 2017
For people interesting in the voice this is a marvellous book with many insides. It has been written from the heart with great warmth and
intelligence. A few edits might have been desirable but they do not take away from the honesty of the memoir. So many autobiographers
are name droppers, this memoir does not have to rely on such vanity. Jessye Norman, a unique human being with a unique voice, possibly
the greatest voice alive, has rightly been honoured by the Great and the Good but that never overshadows what singing is all about.
For those who look for gossip, this is a no-read but for those who want to get to know the person behind her voice, this is a MUST.
on 23 July 2015
The story lacked depth. I felt there were parts of her life that she was holding back. The story is about her, but the way it read in my opinion was... I did this and I met this person and, and... All these things occurred, but it could have been intertwined into the fabric of her life better. It made Ms Norman sound like a show of.
2 people found this helpful
on 25 February 2015
An absorbing account of the dedication and sacrifices needed to become an international, black opera star in the 1970s. Honest and inspirational.
on 2 February 2015
This is not a juicy tattle book about other singers,but a straight forward book on jessyes journey as a singer,both actual and spiritual,and tells of her faith,and her family
on 1 February 2016
Very good book, most interesting reading. Excellent for the young singing student to read. Most enjoyable.
|0Comment|Report abuse
The best account of a professional artist I have ever read. Jessie explains the true art of singing in such a clear way. Also what a wonderful Spiritual person she is. Just great!
on 24 August 2014
I'm very pleased with the book, its arrival and the item itself. She is one of my favorite sopranos and I was lucky because I was able to in in two concerts of hers in Granada Festival. She is unique!!!
on 1 March 2016
I bought two ,one for my daughter and we both think it's a wonderful book,in fact I haven't finished it yet.its a great book on life and racial prejudice,and Jessye Norman is one amazing lady.
on 12 September 2014
From old USA to present day by merit
on 19 July 2014
lovely book - some great tips for singers