on 9 November 2017
This book for me was a real eye opener and was a very informative read. I served in HM Forces and did two tours in the Province, once spending four months down in South Armagh. Whilst we evaded the devices in the fields placed near tricolours as a come on I really had no idea that these events were going on. I have to admit, I have now read the book twice and it seems unbelievable to me the level of the infiltration that the Security Forces had in almost all factions that were active in the Province. I spent hours doing face recognition and trying to remember potential "players" in the hope that I may be able to submit that one piece of valuable "Int". After reading this book I now understand that I was a very, very small cog in a very big int gathering machine. I feel the book if the events within are true, has given closure for many families whose innocent relatives were "nutted" or kidnapped and tortured. I have recommended the book to many of my service friends and almost all were as surprised as me at its contents. .
on 31 July 2015
The crucial debate in this book, written by a former operator of the Force Research Unit, is about whether or not the UK Government sanctioned murder.

The book is written with the help of a few journalists. It is well-written and interesting.

It has to be said that the thrust of the book is against the British Government. This makes the book compelling reading, particularly from someone who had such an important job and a high level of security access. The author has chosen to speak out to highlight what he believes to be a gross injustice.

However, I found aspects of the book confusing. Martin Ingram states on several occasions that a huge amount of what the FRU did was useful and helpful in saving lives. The book focusses mainly on the alleged key IRA informer, Stakeknife, and how he was allowed to commit murder under the control of the FRU. Ingram argues that much of this could have been prevented.

Rob Lewis' Fishers of Men offers an alternative view, and I hope to read this soon.

An interesting and thought-provoking book.
on 8 December 2017
Fascinating. Covers alot on British army agents Brian Nelson (UDA intelligence) and Freddy Scappaticci (IRA internal security) amongst other well known cases from the Troubles. Definitely worth a read if you want to know how British intelligence really operated in the North of Ireland. Not alot of shaken martini's being had back then, just a big cocktail of collusion.
on 7 December 2015
This book is a well written expose of the way agents were run by the security forces in Northern Ireland. But I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised that Britain was involved in some very nasty incidents during a very nasty war.

I'm also unsurprised that the murderous thugs employed from the republican and loyalist movement as informants and spies were unreliable, dishonest and often psychotic. It's a messy business.
on 22 January 2018
Hmmmm... I think this is fair. The book itself is quite clear on its direction, alas I think it pans out to be a futile effort to be distanced from the "dirtier work" in the troubles which I feel is underhand.
maybe it is me but I found it hard to keep a tab on what was being written and by whom simply because it chops and changes so much, however there is a lot to cover.
I was expecting more details of the operations but it did turn into a list of who, what, why where and when in brief.
I do think that the author is somewhat short sighted to be knowingly involved in all of what happened and is now calling for action against it, I am not sure what he expected but some of the "higher end" goings on was surely to be expected when fighting a war against the IRA, PIRA etc??
on 21 October 2017
This documents what a dirty war Northern Island was from start to finish on both sides. It shows how very little we on the main land knew about what was going on. This book moves the curtain a few inches so the reader can see a little of what went off.
on 20 November 2016
Really interesting read and yet another shocking insight into the dealings of government.
on 18 December 2017
Great insight into troubled times recently passed. The involvement of the British Govt in murder & deceit is unreal & hard to believe, that said it is hard to know who to have trusted in this dreadful petiod of history for all of the northern population. A truly sad period, not yet fully resolved between two sections of what is a small geographical area. Religion & Politics, two subjects that are toxic!
on 4 September 2017
A really good read once i started it i couldnt put it down ,an eye opener very controversial if your interested in the troubles of northern ireland you simply must read this book
on 20 January 2016
Not a bad read but I felt the author was biased and had an axe to grind