Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£9.99|
Save £7.15 (72%)
Stakeknife: Britain's Secret Agents in Ireland Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
As for the other agent, he was a Loyalist UDA intelligence officer. The Army would supply him with names of Republicans, and his UDA/UVF friends would assassinate them. The thinking of the British was quite simple, rightly or wrongly, they wanted to show the Catholic people that the IRA couldn't protect them, only the police could do that, and secondly, that the IRA could run from safe house to safe house, but they couldn't hide from the Loyalist hit squads. Armed with A+ intelligence, the Loyalists would simply hunt them down and kill them. The IRA had no where to hide, and no protection to give, so had no options left but to come to the conference table.
The book also explains the difference between the 2 sides, and why they were viewed differently by the British army. The British thinking was simple, if they removed the IRA, the UDA/UVF would simply go away. The only reason the Loyalist paramilitaries existed, was because of the IRA and its violence.............Tommy
Read "MRF Shadow Troop" instead for balance and a sense of what really could have been achieved in the early years of the Troubles.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > Biography > True Crime
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > Espionage
- Books > History > Military History > Military Intelligence & Espionage
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Regional U.K.
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > True Crime > Espionage
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Freedom & Security