Customer reviews

on 28 April 2017
Described as used but it's really battered!!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 January 2005
I felt compelled to write this review having never done so before after reading Olly Buxtons review.My 3 year old son has never been one to sit done and listen to a story even at nursery school however after finding this book in our local libary he cannot put it down!Every day my dauughter has to read it to him (shes 10 and even she loves it)and then every night i read it to him.It is a easy book to read along to and is beautifully illustrated you can get your little one to find the spider as he runs away and hides on every page.I think that Olly Buxton took this book rather too seriously as it is after all just a sweet little childs pre-school book. I have placed my order for this book and highly recommend that you do the same!
on 24 August 2011
my grandson wanted this book for a long time and was told it couldn't be got anywhere, and then I saw it on Amazon. My grandson John was delighted with it. Thanks
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 April 2004
I'm not often moved to review children's books, but this one is particularly poor: it's not especially witty and fails at the most fundamental job a children's story has: it's hopeless for being read aloud.

Critical parts of the story are missing from the text, only being represented by pictures. I'm sure this sounds an odd criticism, but you try reading a story aloud to your three year old, when you have to stop and point explain what's going on yourself because the author hasn't bothered to and you'll see what I mean. It's a breach of the sacred contract: the author tells the story, not the reader.

Finally, it's a pretty joyless little story, anyway, which among other things portrays a boy sitting in front of the telly with a remote control eating his tea and condones (or is at the least is ambiguous about) the idea that spiders are mischievous, bad, scary and should be squashed.

I know this makes me sound like a looney from some weirdo arachnophileleague or a moral majority headcase - I'm not, honestly - but I think it puts this story at the bottom of the heap when there are so many better,funnier, and more positive stories out there.

Try Dr Dog instead!