on 5 August 2013
I bought this book because all but one of the references to soya sprouts in the Edward Cairney alternative, The Sprouters Handbook, had been removed. (Actually, to me it looked as though they'd been ineffectively weeded out, because the index still had them). I'm grateful to Steve Meyerowitz for his advice to cook soyabean sprouts lightly to remove any residual nasties, however, I much prefer the Cairney book because Meyerwitz's is a bit of a hotchpotch.

On the good side, it has a good index as well as a detailed contents list. On the bad, like the Cairney, it glosses over how to germinate economically in cooler weather and calls for items, such as hydrogen peroxide, for use as a sterilent, which I think is unobtainable in the UK now, because it's been used in improvised bomb-making. It's looks as though we can buy sproutbags, an invention of Meyerwitz, but I just wouldn't because I do not believe they could be adequately cleaned. His other innovation, the sprouter's bamboo basket, isn't even still available on his US Website because the supply from China has become unreliable. Again, attractive as these things look, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. It's glass and nice sterile stainless steel for me, but at the moment, I'm using Meyerwitz's despised jars (Bio Snacky), which I find can be incubated easily (See my review of The Sprouters Handbook) and work a treat for everything I've tried so far except soyabean. I've even pulled off amaranth, a tiny seed (a) by soaking overnight, or (b) by inserting kitchen towel between the jar and the lid-strainer.

I've given Meyerwitz 3 stars because his book contains stimulating ideas. The tables are random rather than scientifically organised, though the their content may be accurate. He advocates a longer growing time than some and there must be a breaking point when a sprout, using the resources from its seed and turning them into great nutrients for us, becomes a plant, requiring resources from soil. He muddles seed leaves, which are the seed itself pushed up and turning green, with true leaves, which form independently of the seed. Some seeds, such as aduki beans and lentils, don't form seed leaves at all, their first leaves are true leaves. With alfalfa and mung, it's the other way round.

As I say, a hotchpotch with good ideas, but for a beginner, I'd advise buying a set, say of 3, Bio Snacky jars (thank you, Amazon) and following the advice given in the leaflet that comes with them. Start with seeds, such as mung and aduki bean and green lentils that are readily and cheaply available in your supermarket. That's another thing with Meyerowitz, if you sprout seeds, such as cabbage and radish that are normally sold in tiny packets for producing the mature vegetable, your sprouts will cost you a fortune!
on 17 January 2011
This book has really expanded my sprouting knowledge and my view of using sprouts for good health. It is packed full of information and innovative ways for improving health as well as how to use baskets and bags for sprouting to produce better sprouts than ever before. A must for anyone who wants to eat the natural way. I love it. An excellent and practical reference book.
on 8 October 2015
very comprehensive, easy to follow & useful. I have grown my confidence along with my spouts because of the scope of this book.
on 20 September 2015
Very thorough with every element covered from sprouting, wheatgrass and microgreens. A very enjoyable read with lots of valuable information about starting a kitchen garden. Very well laid out book and easy to understand.
on 19 June 2014
Lots of nutritional analysis which would be great if you are scientifically minded.

Not quite the basic simple guideline to sprouting I had hoped for.
on 31 December 2012
i recommend this book to all those that take their health seriously enough to eat the right food that nature provided for us !!
on 4 February 2009
Written with abundant enthusiasm, the author infects the reader with the desire to start sprouting TODAY. I have been cheerfully guided by this wonderful book and have managed to grow even difficult sprouts, such as chickpeas. The author recommends growing sprouts in baskets rather than the standard plastic containers. The plants look great in their various size baskets and make lovely decorative displays. I have also been using Liquid Kelp which the book advises. My sprouts are looking healthy and happy and so am I !
on 30 August 2005
Not very relevant if you want to learn about sprouting. Very little on that subject!! Too much written about the benefits of each plant, and their chemical constituants rather than the sprouts - and full of inaccuracies!
33 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 January 2013
And also good and practical info on sprouting, but I am a little rebel and still sprout in jars too!