- Actors: Wei Wei, Li Wei, Shi Yu
- Directors: Fei Mu
- Format: Dolby, PAL
- Language: English, Chinese
- Subtitles: English
- Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3 - 1.33:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Studio: Bfi
- DVD Release Date: 23 Feb. 2015
- Run Time: 94 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 12 customer reviews
- ASIN: B00P6NRR8E
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 53,280 in DVD & Blu-ray (See Top 100 in DVD & Blu-ray)
Spring in a Small Town 
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
SPRING IN A SMALL TOWN (DVD)
A film by Fei Mu
Regarded as the finest work from the first great era of Chinese filmmaking, Fei Mu's quiet, piercingly poignant study of adulterous desire and guilt-ridden despair is a remarkable rediscovery, often compared to David Lean's Brief Encounter (1945). After eight years of marriage to Liyan -once rich but now a shadow of his former self following a long, ruinous war - Yuwen does little except deliver his daily medication. A surprise visit from Liyan's friend Zhang re-energises the household, but also stirs up dangerously suppressed longings and resentments.
Director Feu Mu's deft use of locations, dissolves and camera movements makes for a fraught, febrile mood of hesitant passion, entrapment and ennui. Cinematically and psychologically sophisticated, Spring in a Small Town has been restored by the China Film Archive, and is accompanied here by a number of rare and fascinating films from the BFI National Archive.
- BFI re-release trailer
- A Small Town in China (1933, 9 mins): an intimate portrait of community life in an unidentified Chinese town
- China (Paul Rotha, 1942, 15 mins): a documentary introducing 1940s China to Western viewers and denouncing its Japanese invaders
- This is China (1946, 9 mins): a fascinating compilation of scenes showing diversity and disparity in 1940s China
- Fully illustrated booklet
China | 1948 | black and white | Mandarin, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles| 94 minutes | DVD9 | Original aspect ratio 1.33:1 | Dolby Digital 1.0 mono audio | Cert U (mild injury detail) | Region 2 DVD
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I first saw this film some years ago on a very hard to get VCD and had to convert that to DVD to go with the subtitles I found (the VCD had none). It's a shame this isn't on BluRay, but the picture quality is excellent with very few flaws. I really enjoyed the bonus videos that come with this. One is a film made circa 1935 apparently by a missionary and the other is something like a newsreel from circa 1947. If you're interested in foreign films or Chinese films, you should love this.
Freak Out!: My Life With Frank Zappa
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews