on 18 February 2013
Although an experienced Java and Web developer, I had minimum contact with Spring before getting this book. I had already read a number of pages from Springsource, but the lack of an "official" orientated learning path for annotated Spring 3.1 plus the immense amount of fragmentary information surrounding Spring put me off.
This book accomplished my initial objective: getting me on the right track, briefing me up on Spring technologies and paradigms without extending too much on the minute details of each aspect. It is a pleasant read, humorous and has good teaching value. Yet, one can ask for so much; it is also superficial, as it condenses the broad gamut of Spring framework in roughly 400 pages which has proven insufficient for other than basic examples - As Spring MVC is arguably the most popular of its components, I was expecting an in-to-depth approach but the chapter ended with the feeling of "wanting more".
Please note it is updated for Spring 3.0 but as we are in the middle of 3.2, a new revision is overdue.
on 19 August 2011
I am student and I do only know Java SE , no knowledge of EJB , Persistence etc. , but even with this amount of knowledge I am slowly, but thoroughly consume the book. I am trying to understand and run every example in there. No one says it is easy - Spring itself requires patience especially from novice users, this book provides detailed explanation of every aspect it covers. It might have a little inappropriate examples like musical idol competition project, which was misleading at first, since I didn't know what types of real-life-application beans go to Application Context, but this is due my personal lack of knowledge in enterprise area.
on 30 May 2014
I love this book. Craig Walls has written it like a top selling novel. What a way to describe a technical subject. Well I guess it is for those who love to read books and want clear concepts.
on 3 September 2012
First few chapters are very good, but when you start MVC then you are lost. Source code which you download from the web site have not much to do with examples from the book. Is it that difficult to sort out the code chapter after chapter so I could download it? Probably for this author yes. What the author wrote could make sense but only with code.
on 6 February 2014
All the fundumentals for Spring MVC is there. Covers topics in detail. Prior knowledge of java is required. Prior knowledge of Web apps is required.
on 17 August 2011
I read this book to learn Spring. I already knew J2SE, J2EE EJB 3.1, JPA, JNDI, JDBC, etc... but no Spring.
I found this book excellent. I no time I was up and running with Spring DI, JDBC and JPA, Spring transactions, etc... I have to admin I have only skimmed through the Spring MVC chapter as we are currently not using this technology (but will come back to this later on).
The book is very recent and so currently up to date (current date August 2011).
I have not read other books on Spring, but I have quickly looked at them using my company's Safari account and I thought this was the best book for me to purchase (I like to read on paper still). 5 stars.
on 16 June 2012
I started programming in Java about 8 months ago. I'm from a C# .Net background. I use Spring everyday on my current Java project at work. It is a very powerful product, which encourages programming to interfaces, and using dependency injection, and unit testing. I was a bit apprehensive in buying this book, mainly because the previous edition received better reviews, while this one seemed be slated by a few people. I asked a few people at work who have both versions, and was recommended to get the most recent version. I am still working through the book, but so far, it is a very easy read! I find it very understandable, coming from a different programming language background. I am a lot more productive in my work, and my code is lot cleaner. I give it 4 star because I haven't finished it yet.
on 13 January 2013
Until i bought the book, i was reading information over the net, but no one explain how things work, only how it's done. One must be an warlock to guess how things work.
while reading the book, much light was made about the issues. Each chapter is clear and explains how and why things are done.
The book explains the Spring 3.0 framework, which is much more simpler that previous versions.
on 12 December 2012
The book is as expected. I would have loved to receive the e-copy of that but its fair enough since I did not pay of it
on 6 February 2012
This guy is a very irritating waffler. I wish he had put as much effort into the accuracy and completeness of detail as he has into his silly anecdotes. The information in the book is not really sufficient to actually use Spring from scratch but If you grab the code examples it provides a good enough grounding with a bit of Web hunting. Bottom line though is that the book is too wordy and the information is quite woolly in places. The section on security is particularly bad.
6 people found this helpful