Want to do a bit of research? check out our guides on bicycles & bicycling
Bikes & Cycling Equipment
Cycling is an activity accessible to people of all ages, and a great family-friendly activity.In addition to staying fit and healthy, cycling is a great way to explore the great outdoors. Parks and woodland areas are great for cycling, so do some research online and you’ll find the best local cycling places near you.
If you’re looking to get your children into cycling, you can find three wheel trikes for toddlers, ride-on toys, baby bikes and more.Keep in mind to always wear a helmet and padded cycling gloves when cycling, as well as knee and shoulder pads for longer journeys.
How does cycling tone the body?
There’s a reason why cyclists have incredibly lean, athletic physiques. Cycling is one of the best full-body exercises – so if you’re looking to lose weight or tone your abs, legs and stomach, give cycling a try.
After cycling for a few months, you’ll notice your abdominal muscles will develop and your core strength will build. This is because your abdominal muscles are required in order to keep the bike stable, so it might not look like you’re exerting yourself – but these constant abdominal contractions will result in clear strength improvements over time.
As you push down on the pedal, this also provides a great workout for your calf muscles, which are often underutilized in our daily activities.
How to choose the right cycling equipment?
• Think about what kind of cycling you’ll be doing. Riding a bike for transport compared to mountain biking requires very different specifications. Road bikes are lightweight and designed to cover long distances quickly, whereas mountain bikes are equipped for rugged terrain.
• If you want to mount a baby seat or saddlebags, be sure that these devices work with your bike’s frame.
• If you have a lengthy commute to work or are riding long distances, prioritize comfort. Consider a cruiser bike with a large seat.
• If you plan to ride your bike to work or other public areas, consider purchasing a bike lock.
• There are three types of helmets: recreational, road bike, and mountain bike helmets. There are also a great deal of features available, so decide what you’re looking for and what you’ll be using your helmet for. Before purchasing, also its recommended to measure your head with a tape measure to find a helmet size of similar parameters – this is important as there are also many different sizes.
Looking for biking and sporting equipment? Check out our sports and outdoors store.