Spitting Blood: The history of tuberculosis Hardcover – 22 Nov 2012
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Helen Bynum has written a book not only full of diverting asides but also of urgent importance. (Richard Horton, Guardian)
Highly recommended. (M.L. Charleroy, CHOICE)
About the Author
Helen Bynum is a freelance historian and author of Tropical Medicine in the 20th Century. Together with William Bynum, she edited Great Discoveries in Medicine and the award winning Dictionary of Medical Biography (5 vols.).
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Along the way, however, TB was used in racist ways by the SS and by organisations including the Newark-based Prudential Insurance Company which all but gave up insuring blacks as they were seen as posing far higher TB mortality risks. Of course, the book raises many questions about where we go from here, now that TB is being diagnosed in Britain again and as we battle against other bacteria that seem to defy standard treatment by anti-biotics.
I believe the correct term is NOT 'TB' but 'tubercle', as told me by a specialist from before days of streptomycin.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Diseases & Disorders > Oncology
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Medicine
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Science
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science