on 4 December 2011
Reasonable price, perfect quality and all physical features about this product are flawless. The manga itself has a more medieval European feel about it. Not that it was created by western artist, it's definitely Japanese drawn. But it's the localisations of medieval Europe which draw me in. The story line is interesting and fun, it's like an old fairy tail which has been adapted into a manga, just has that amazing feel to it!, It was also voted best Manga by NEO Magazine, can't go wrong with that now can you?
on 16 May 2017
Awesome series! Very interesting and fun to read!
on 17 January 2015
The Spice & Wolf manga is a beautifully illustrated adaptation of Isuna Hasekura's 'Spice & Wolf'. The Manga itself follows the story line of the light novels very closely while the illustrator separated the manga by artistic interpretation only. This is most certainly a good thing as the story is what has given Spice & Wolf its popularity If you have seen the Anime then what I can say is the manga imitates it to a certain degree but it does not outright copy scenes from the animated series so you need not worry about getting an unoriginal experience with the manga.

If you want something to put the Light Novels into drawn form as you read, or if you want a familiar experience to the Anime but have the series continue beyond where the anime ended then look no further than the Spice and Wolf manga.
on 1 September 2011
I've seen a lot of low reviews but I must say I am extremely happy with my purchase. The translations are perfect - I'd never tell it was written in Japanese first. The cover is completely awful but I know that the original covers have been used in later volumes. In any case you can just slide it off to revile the original cover.
on 1 August 2012
I discovered Spice and Wolf during my study abroad in Japan. I watched the anime first, and originally thought it was from a manga. After finding out the source was a novel and discovering it would be translated, I determined to buy it.

And I wasn't disappointed. It starts off like your typical magical girl story, with some guy finding a weird girl in his bed (or in Lawrence's case, his cart - the bed of the travelling merchant!) and I cringed at about half a page at this point, because rather disappointingly, Lawrence couldn't help noticing how darn cute and adorable and pretty she was. Luckily, it really did only last about half a page and then it resumed being fabulous.

Spice and Wolf follows the trials and tribulations of Lawrence, a travelling merchant, and his wolf-god companion, Holo. The two of them are on a journey to the North, to return Holo to her homeland there. But it's a long way off, and Lawrence has to make a living. Quite often, the struggles faced by the two of them are economically, politically or religiously complicated (or all three!) and I find myself having to think twice about the situations and how they plan to get out of them more than once, every single time I re-read or rewatch.

There's not much I would recommend to ANYONE, but Spice and Wolf is one of those rare things.
on 18 June 2013
I have not seen the anime yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. It has a slow pace but it does a wonderful job in depicting the strange relationship between Lawrence and Holo. And no need to worry about the cover anymore as the original covers are being used (thank god). It would be 5 stars for the novel...

However:
As others have mentioned, this book really needs a proofreader. There are several typos throughout the whole book, the translations themselves are surely not perfect but still fine imo. This was my first light novel and I definitely recommend it.
on 28 June 2011
All that needs to be said about the cover image has already been said, so I am not going to repeat the arguments again.

This is the first translated Japanese light novel I have ever read. I was a little worried about the quality of the translation. Fortunately, I didn't spot any blatant translation error. There are a few awkward spots, but anyone who's familiar with scanlations should be well award that sometimes it is simply impossible to obtain a perfect translation without significantly modifying the content. Personally, I find these awkward moments rather charming as they remind me that I am reading a novel written by a foreign author.

Story wise, Spice and Wolf has a slow pace that is appropriate for the rural setting of the story. While that can be soothing at times, it also means it is rather easy to put the book down and stop reading at any point. The story is by no means disappointing, but neither is it exciting. Fans of the series (including myself) will probably find it an enjoyable, but outsiders might find it difficult to get hooked.
on 24 April 2016
It is always good when i actually can find something to read, to be honest I got this book thinking: '' You got nothing better to do,just give it a shot... how bad can it really be?'' This was ever so strong because I never saw nor read anything about Spice and Wolf... And I was surprised. When reading the synopsis I got really bored, so when I noticed how hooked i was in the first 50 pages I was really taken aback.
It's a easy read and a very fun at that, that characters while not complex, were not empty stereotypes with no personality and if you have the slightest interest in commerce I am sure you will like it.
on 29 May 2014
I finished reading the book its around 220 pages long for the first novel, the quality of translation is brilliant, i assume its a direct translation done by the author or with the author at least reviewing it.

It fitted the time perfectly with how the city description is perfectly fitting to how the would have been at that time.

I would recommend this to other people who like, fantasy, medieval style and anyone who has played 1st edition D&D specificly Greyhawk because if you still do im sure this would give you idea's for roleplay situations.
on 8 May 2014
There are 2 English editions. the 1st one had a picture as cover.
This is the latest edition with the LN illustration drawn on the cover.
Very easy to read and digest. the English translation seems good, though I have not read the original Japanese version.

A book that I recommend to people that have a Spice & Wolf season 3 withdrawal
or for people that is interested in Japanese Light Novel about wolf fantasy and economy.