on 2 November 2009
OK, first off, the good bits:

This is a waterproof MP3 player! How cool is that! Swimming 50 lengths of the pool need never be boring again. It works perfectly well underwater and is perfectly audible above all the noise of the splashing.

That said, there are a number of problems with this product that make it a lot less good than it could be.

First, the user interface is extremely basic. Apart from the volume control, it has only 2 buttons to control the playback: next track and previous track. Not even a pause button. If you don't mind which track you listen to next or if you only have a small number of tracks, then that's probably not a problem, but if you have hundreds of different tracks stored on the machine and want to play a specific one, then you're in trouble. Actually, I don't mind this too much because I tend to listen to podcasts and typically only have 3 or 4 of them loaded at any one time, but if you prefer listening to music, I imagine you could find this a real pain.

Of course the advantage to this very basic user interface is that it's very easy to use as you don't have to fiddle with lots of different buttons while you're trying to swim, and maybe that's why they made it that way.

The next drawback is that it seems to be built with buggy software. There is a reset button that you can press with a pen to reboot it if it stops working. I don't know how often this happens, as I've not had mine for very long, but just the second time I used it it had stopped working and needed to be rebooted, so I suspect it could be a depressingly frequent occurrence.

Finally, the earpieces are really not at all well designed. They have some sort of contraption which I suppose is designed to keep them in your ear. If you are from the planet Zarg, perhaps this works very well. If you have a normal humanoid ear, then it's less successful. All I know is that I found them slipping out of place quite a lot while swimming and had to keep re-adjusting them. Perhaps there is a knack to getting them to fit that would make it easier than I found it, but sadly there is no diagram in the instruction manual, so it's hard to know what the manufacturers intended. I did email the contact given on their website for technical support to ask if they could send a diagram, but I never got a reply.

And that is perhaps the most serious criticism of all: it appears that there is no technical support available for this product, given that the email address given for technical support on the website doesn't bother to answer emails.
on 17 August 2009
Was recommended this item by a friend and read all the reviews available before I purchased it.
Having purchased it less than a week ago, I uploaded my play list and used it whilst swimming today for the first time. What can I say other than EXCELLENT.
Easy to upload songs, easy to shuffle if required, using software provided. Very easy to fit to goggle strap. Easy to use in the water. Sound quality is more than acceptable although some bass is missing.
I would recommend that you have a practice with the headphones on dry land first as they do require a bit of adjustment but are otherwise very comfortable in deed.
All in all the item does what it says on the tin and makes swimming so much more enjoyable - only one drawback though trying not to sing along whist swimming.
on 7 August 2009
Been holding off reviewing this till I had actually used it in action, and I was pleasantly surprised. I used it two days at the weekend swimming between 1 and 2 miles each day in the sea.
Size - it is a lot smaller and lighter than I expected. The controls are pretty easy to operate (remember you'll either have it behind your head - as I did - or on one of your shoulders).

Wires - the earphone wires didn't get in the way of your swimming at all. The Ear attachments take a bit of adjustment to get right. On one try I ended up with a sore ear, on the other I was fine. (Remember your goggle strap goes over the ear and the earphones so you need a bit of adjustment to get comfortable)

Sound - the crucial part of any MP3 - the sound is pretty good on dry land and is reasonable in the water - you sometimes need to adjust the earphone buds in your ears to get it balanced - and I really don't think you can get rid of the background bubbles and splashing associated with swimming anyway.

Loading - reasonably easy if a bit slow to actually transfer the MP3s and the interface is a bit dated.

Overall, if you expect to be in the water for a long time, this is a good way to distract yourself and get the miles in.
on 18 August 2010
First off this product will work for a couple of months and its fantastic. Music underwater just has to be heard to be believed, very relaxing in your swim and defo keeps you going. The problems are that the headphones dont quite give consistent music quality (i could forgive this your underwater so its amazing you can hear anything!!!).

The real issue is product quality, its not there yet and my third version of this is now bust after 2/3 months of use. Given the lack of product support on this items thats an expensive product . . .
on 4 September 2009
I like the Aquabeat my only reservations

1) It does not give the option to play random.

2) The headphones are not easy to keep in place. I use a different underwater set that I already had. The key to a good swim is getting them set up properly in the first place.

3) It would be good if it indicated how much juice was left. A Couple of times I have only done a couple of lengths and found it has gone flat.....

Other then these I think it's a great product
on 12 June 2014
I read so many different reviews that at first I was scared. I have been using it for TWO YEARS now and it hasn't broke or anything (I hope it stays like that).
Is small and simple to use. At the begining is complicated with the earplugs, but once you find a proper way and size, it works perfect. I use the earplugs under my swimming cap and it stays in place for the whole trainning.
Something I love about it is that even though you listen to the music with a pretty good quality of sound, you can still listen to the hands go into the water. Which for me is great because it allows me to really enjoy the swimming session but keeping the sense of being in the pool. It increases my water awarenes.
The downside is that sometimes the sound changes a bit while it gets too much water or it moves inside your ear. However, although the sound may decrease in these cases, you will be still able to listen and enjoy. Moreover, it also comes back by itself withouth need to stop to move the device or anything.

Keep in mind that it doesn't has the same sound that an iPod, but I insist; the quality is pretty good. After all, you're under water, so just having music at all is quite amazing.
on 6 October 2010
A great product, for s oouple of months. As you can see from the positive reviews, when this player works it works very well. There are some complaints about how functional the buttons are, earphone attachment, but considering you're underwater and swimming how important is it to listen to a specific song, plus headphone fit will always be subjective (I did have to fiddle with them sometimes).

The big problem with this product is it will not last - the software/firmware is buggy, will start to fail and before you know it you're left with a very expensive USB drive, that will no longer play out music. This will happen after a couple of months - I'm guessing that the positive reviews left here were all left within this space of time.

With no support from the vendor, it's not worth your money.
on 8 March 2010
This item is unsatisfactory. It will no longer recognise that it is connected to the computer.

Consequently, it will neither re-charge nor allow additions or amendments to the music stored thereon.

Unfortunately, this defect did not become apparent until after the 30 day return "window" had expired.

Neither Amazon nor Speedo have had the courtesy to even acknowledge emails on the subject, nor less make ANY attempt to rectify the situation.

This is definitely a case of Caveat Emptor.

I have had to give the product one star in order to comply with the web page pro-forma's requirements.

I would much preferred to have conferred NO stars. Zero. Zilch.
on 20 November 2013
This is easy to charge, load with music, language lessons or other audio material.. After some fiddling one masters the best way to wear the earphones in the water. The sound reproduction is good and the controls are few and simple even for this Ludite. One drawback was when I accidently dropped this on the poolside it fell apart and was irrepairable. Now on my second Aquabeat I take a little more care. It takes the boredom out of the daily swim.
on 19 June 2015
Super easy to use.
Sound quality is better than other waterproof mp3 players I've used.
The ear plugs stay in while doing aerial rotational tricks like backflips.
It keeps going even after big wipeouts from 50ft up in the air hitting the water hard.
The mount is probably ok for swimming goggles but for kitesurfing I just drop it down the top of my wetsuit.
Buttons are big enough that you can change tracks easily through the wetsuit.
Overall impressed with it and happy.

Done 3 kitesurfing sessions using this so far, will update review as time goes on