Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£7.95+ £2.80 shipping

on 12 August 2012
Speed falls into the same category as Die Hard: it may have been conceived as popcorn fodder for the multiplexes, but as the years go past (almost twenty of them since its cinema release), it ages more and more gracefully into a classic. Dennis Hopper turns in a nicely insane villain, Sandra Bullock does her slightly off centre quirky but good hearted person, and Keanu Reeves is the solidly dependable maverick policeman who saves the day. The tension is high throughout, largely because of the excellent performances by all involved, and the stunt sequences apparently done for real and not by computer generation.

Where this Blu Ray particularly excels is in the quality of its transfer. The print is sharp, the sound is clear, the colours are balanced. And there are some interesting extras on the disc. In short, this is the way that Blu Rays should be, and I highly recommend the extra investment over DVD.
on 21 January 2006
I'm not particularly into films. And I've never really gone for action films, to be honest. See one car chase and you've seen them all. Explosions are always orange. But 'Speed' is something else. It's one of those films that comes on while you're doing the ironing and two hours later there's a large triangular hole in your best shirt, but you don't mind in the slightest. The best opening sequence since Die Hard 3 (and I only watched that because 'Speed' attuned my palate to the genre) reels you in and then whisks you along at well over 50mph to a breakneck (sorry) finish.

The plot is as strong as a rock: After seeing his painstakingly crafted bomb plot fail at the hands of two LA Cops (Reeves and Daniels), the bomber (Hopper) sets about exacting his revenge by setting a bus to explode if its speed drops below 50mph. The tension is expertly crafted, the film adjusts its pace at the all right times and the character development and attention to detail make the film rounded enough to avoid the trap of it becoming a formulaic action or disaster movie. A smart script full of nice touches and clever one-liners keeps you listening as well as watching. The result exceeds your expectations time and again throughout the length of the film.

Hopper is perfect as the crazed bomber "I'm not crazy, Jack - poor people are crazy. I'm eccentric." Bullock gives the best performance of her career (what a shame she consistently picked turkeys after leading in this epic) as the gutsy damsel at the wheel, and Reeves (let's be kind) grunts and flexes his way through the film except on the few occasions when his acting ability is uncomfortably stretched. Jeff Daniels meanwhile appears like a different human from the actor who goofed around so hilariously in Dumb and Dumber.

The film has everything. The Radio Times (and who doesn't trust that?) gives it five stars. Even girls will like it.

If you don't like action films, watch Speed. I did.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 October 2014
Great action film, if not Keanu reeves best film. Keanu Reeves who works for the L.A.P.D SWAT team, has been sent by the bomber to diffuse a bomb planted on a moving city bus, if the bus goes below 50 miles per hour the bomb will detonate and kill every one on board.

The driver who has been shot, has been taken over by one of the passengers.(Sandra bullock) There are some gripping moments when they find away of tricking the bomber who is played by the late Dennis Hopper who was wonderful in this film.

The Blu-ray is just beautiful, and the master audio is in DTS HD is just perfect.
But to tell you the truth the two disc DVD release was much better than this and
that is the why I gave it four stars, it could of been better.

***FEATURES BELOW***

Commentaries from director jan de bont
and writer graham yost and producer
mark Gordon

Speed: Take Down Java Game

Trivia track, personal scene selections and
high definition trailers
on 21 February 2015
Two action films blew me away in 1994. One of them was True Lies, the other was Speed. Since True Lies will most likely never see the light of a Bluray laser, we're left with Speed. Popcorn film aspirations aside, it's developed into a classic in the action genre, and I really wish modern action directors would go back to see where they're going horribly wrong with today's films. Everything is filmed and framed properly (little to no shaky-cam nonsense here), the stunts are spectacular (minimal CGI if any) and the excellent score sets the audience's pulse racing with the pace of the film. Absolute textbook stuff for a high-octane action film.

I won't rehash the plot - everyone knows it by now. My only quibble would be that given the amount of property damage that ensues during the course of the film, the City of Los Angeles would have been much better off paying the meagre $3m ransom demand to Dennis Hopper. But I guess that would make for an incredibly boring and short film, so it's a good thing they didn't!

I have mixed views on this Bluray release. On the one hand the picture is much better than I was expecting, especially for a film of this age. The soundtrack however I was less impressed with, maybe because almost every review hyped it as "reference material". It certainly is crisp and clear, and there are some good directional effects. But it just sounded "thin" on my particular setup - I really had to max out the bass on my amp to coax any sort of response out of it. And as for the LFE channel, it barely gets used (and when it does, it's underwhelming). A little disappointing, but like I said, perhaps it's just my particular sound setup that doesn't like this disc since other reviews can't all be wrong.

Overall, should you buy this? Yes, absolutely, even if it's just to experience one of the best action films of the previous century.
on 16 April 2009
"Speed" is as daft as a bag of hammers, but entertaining at almost every turn, if you will.

The video and audio quality of this Blu-Ray release are both perfectly good; as a life-sized, live-action film (little use of models or CGI), "Speed" holds up well to transfer to HD and has aged relatively well.

Although the Product Details section above reads "Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1" (at least, it does as of writing; I have submitted updated product details) the feature is actually presented in 2.35:1.
on 4 December 2015
Lots of fun! And it has an debut appearance of the very cute Sandra Bullock. This is a fun movie, but I must say that I think that Dennis Hopper was somewhat type-cast in this one. He probably knew it, took the check, and walked away. I hear he did a lot of good for up and coming actors by establishing grants with his funds which he left in his will - which I though was very decent, and felt that it was somewhat counter-intuitive to the many maniacs he's plaid from 'Easy Rider', through 'Apocalypse Now', and countless other roles. Of course this role is not Sakespeare for Keanu, neither is it intended to be. It's the debut directoral film for director of photography on dozens of films Jan De Bontn Turn up the surround sound and enjoy!
on 5 August 2013
Not the best blue ray transfer but quite good and better than the standars DVD. Sound is good if a little loud at times. There are some tense moments as the bus dipps towards the 50 mark which would cvause it to explode killing everyone on board. There are afew humorous parts especially when Keanu Reeves hijacks the jamacans car to catch and warn the bus driver. For me the film is spoiled by the not too often strong language. However the film has pleanty of action and the blue ray quality is reasonably good.
on 16 May 2016
The original Speed film is brilliant and I've watched it many times. The second should, perhaps, never have been made because it's nowhere near as good, but nevertheless is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.
on 9 January 2012
this film does exactly what it says. action all the way i like with this film you have the three set pieces the lift at the begining the bus (best part of the film i think) and the train. dennis hopper is a really good villian iin this one. the sound and picture quality are brilliant especially in the action scenes. this is a film i could watch again and again
on 22 June 2014
Speed has to be one of my favourite films. I own the DVD, Blu-ray and now the steelbook and was hoping that I could get rid of the Blu-ray and the DVD once I had the steelbook in my grubby little hands. I couldn't wait to watch it again.

However much I enjoyed the film, this is severely lacking in extras. There are better extras on the 2 disc special edition than there are on the steelbook. The extras are the exact same as the Speed [Blu-ray], which are nothing to get excited about.

I much prefer the extras on the Speed -- Two-Disc Special Edition [DTS] [DVD], and I am very disappointed that these couldn't have been added onto the steelbook. I'm not asking for brand new extras (well ... possibly), but I am very disappointed at spending the money on this, to not get anything extra on it. Especially since it's 20 years old now. There is a shoddily made "game" which I played for a few seconds before giving up.

Apart from the pretty new design and the fact that this is a steelbook, was it really worth the upgrade? In my personal opinion, no it's not worth the upgrade. I am still hanging onto my DVD and will be getting rid of my Blu-ray. Such a shame though, for an excellent film.