- Also check our best rated Ps3 Game reviews
Spec Ops: The Line (PS3)
- Deep, Mature Narrative: The story of Captain Walker's rescue mission will challenge players to make tough choices between what's moral and what's necessary, as Walker's journey pushes him to his very limits
- Blasted Opulence: The events unfold in a stunning, haunting setting - the remains of Dubai, once one of the wealthiest cities on Earth, now stripped bare. Dubai's bold and luxurious architecture still shines through, in spite of the sandstorms threatening all that's left. Opulent interiors contrast sharply with the vertigo inducing heights and mass destruction outside of the extravagant structures
- Dynamic Sand: Turn the tables on foes by crushing them under a cascade of sand cast down by a strategically placed shot - but beware of oncoming sandstorms and their gale-force winds. The sweeping sands of Dubai feel almost alive, serving as a powerful but unpredictable force that will both help and hinder the mission, while opening up a variety of new interactions and tactics
- Brutal, In-Your-Face Action: Join forces with intelligent, resourceful squad mates in fever-pitched gun battles. Accessible combat and squad controls will get you in the fight quickly, where you'll experience the raw destructive force of your authentic weapons as well as engage in extremely physical close-quarters battles
- Endless Multiplayer: In addition to the single-player story mode, Spec Ops: The Line packs a full range of multiplayer features, including a never-before-seen mode with unique connections to the main story, a breadth of competitive and team-based modes, as well as the ability to rank up, personalize, and customize characters from two distinctly different factions
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
- Platform: PlayStation 3
- BBFC Rating: Suitable for 12 years and over. Not for sale to persons under age 12. By placing an order for this product, you declare that you are 12 years of age or over.
- Media: Video Game
Platform: PlayStation 3
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
SPEC OPS: THE LINE
Spec Ops: The Line is a narrative driven, 3rd-person Military Shooter, set in a sandstorm ravaged, war-torn, present day Dubai.
It's been six months since Dubai was wiped off the map by a cataclysmic sandstorm. Thousands of lives have been lost, including those of American soldiers sent to help evacuate the city. Today, the city lies buried under sand - the world's most opulent ruin.
Now, a radio signal is broadcasting from Dubai. A Delta Force team is sent to infiltrate the city and find its source.
Their mission is simple: Locate survivors and radio for evacuation. What they find is a city in the grip of a violent struggle for control. In order to fulfil their mission, they'll have to find the man at the heart of this madness – the elusive Col. John Konrad.
- A Billionaire’s Playground Destroyed: Cataclysmic sandstorm stricken, devastated Dubai. What was once the rich’s personal playground, is now the world’s most opulent and extravagant shooting gallery and warzone.
- A Military Rescue Mission, or Is It?: What starts as a Military rescue mission , quickly goes bad, and turns into an all out fight for survival. Who really is the one that needs rescuing?
- Take Cover, and take Charge: Use Dubai and it’s surroundings to take cover, hiding from enemy attacking and flanking. Order your squadmates to attack, heal, flank, grenade, and help with survival.
- Use Sand as a Weapon: Shoot windows, doors, walls, and wherever else sand may be hiding to unleash an avalanche of sand onto your opponent.
Top Customer Reviews
Set in the present, Dubai has been buried following an apocalyptic sandstorm. Into the sandy abyss are sent Captain Walker and his sergeants Lugo and Adams on a recon mission to search for civilians and fellow soldiers alike. It is not long before they discover life apart from the wandering oryx. Refugees, CIA and marines from what's left of the 33rd. Unfortunately, none are too pleased to see the new boys in the dunes and they are soon fighting for survival to the backdrop of broadcast taunts and insults from "Radioman" and Walker's ex-boss General Konrad.
As mentioned the story intrigued and combined with solid gameplay I really got involved with this game. Enjoyed might be the wrong word as you are not shielded from the horrors of war here and as Walker you "cross the line" and back several times. Those familiar with Apocalypse Now will relate to the story which itself was based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (see what they did there?). Special mention to the loading messages which are quite poignant and provocative. As it progresses you struggle to hold your squad - and your mind - together and although I more or less predicted the fittingly surreal ending, it is worth holding out for.
As for the gameplay, it is best described as "solid" rather than spectacular or innovative. I prefer third person shooters as you get a better overall view of the scene and can relate to your character more IMO. It's essentially an on-rails cover shooter but executed very well with excellent AI and a progressively challenging difficulty.Read more ›
Spec Ops: The Line is a 3rd person shooter as the title of this review suggests. It will be familiar to those of you who have played Gears of War, Binary Domain or Vanquish for example, as the control mechanics are very similar. The graphics are very nice, depicting a post sand storm-ravaged Dubai where the game takes place. There are some small frame rate issues after cut-scenes as well as the textures needing a moment to sharpen up, but this doesn't ruin the experience.
People have compared the story to Joseph Conrad's, "Heart of Darkness" (of which there is a film, Apocalypse Now) and they are more or less right with this one. 3 soldiers (American of course...) are sent into Dubai to search for survivors of the tragic sand storm. What begins as a simple in and out turns into a long (and very violent) struggle to discover the truth of what happened to the previous US military mission into the city, which takes the player on a story of surprises, twists and shocks.Read more ›
Spec Ops – the Line is a 3rd person anti-war shooter with plenty of style and action that in fact managed to impress me in ways that only the Metal Gear series had before, and that in itself is a huge compliment. The game's storyline is absolute powerful, haunting and deeply meaningful, the whole tone/vibration of the setting in postapocalyptic Dubai is groundbreakingly executed. Both the visual/artistic style and art and the sound/music pull the player deep inside the terrible events the game portrays. The game as well as it's characters feel absolutely genuine and real and I have rarely found playing a game as impactful as having completed Spec Ops – The Line multiple times. While many critics and players critisized some of the rather „casual“ gameplay mechanics I on the contrary found that very aspect of not having to study the control scheme that extensively to be rather accessible and polished. I am a hardore gamer and by no means a casual gamer by the way, but I believe gameplay should be accesible without multiple hours of getting into it.
Summing it up and referencing aspects of the aforementioned interview with one of the game's producers obviously video gamers seem to prefer simple and in fact rather idiotic stories that add nothing to the gameplay experience itself because they are rather perceived as a waste of time anyway.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
AMAZING story (complicated at times but still), good gameplay.Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer
I'm no longer a huge gamer, and rarely play games for more than a couple of hours before losing interest but I absolutely had to see this one to the end, then replay it again doing... Read morePublished 16 months ago by Paul_ABZ
Begins as an average version of an Uncharted feeling military shooter. However, as you go on you begin to understand the mental torture and issues that can effect some soldiers in... Read morePublished 21 months ago by Evan
Awesome shooter. looks great through my HDMI cable. Story is plausible and graphics and game play are a joy. Read morePublished on 15 April 2015 by Ashes
Brilliant whether enjoyed as a straight up shooter or a game with a message and something real to say. Read morePublished on 21 Feb. 2015 by Rosscowhoohaa