TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 December 2010
I have always enjoyed Doring Kindersly books, but I especially like their Eyewonder series. Similar to the Eyewitness series, but aimed at younger readers (5-8) these books are ideal as support for KS1 and KS2 science and in some cases geography, as well as just providing interesting non fiction reading material for children.

Eyewonder Space is beautifully illustrated with vivid full colour photos and explains basic concepts of space in a way that is easy for children to understand. This book briefly covers space travel, satellites, stars, the galaxy and the universe, but it's main focus is on our solar system. There is a two page spread with detailed photos of the moon showing the phases of the moon and explaining concepts such as the dark side of the moon. Of course their is a section on the sun, and another page showing relative size of the planets and their orbits around the sun. Two pages are devoted to each planet, with brilliant illustrations and basic facts, and this book also has a section on the asteroid belt. Of course the information on each page is limited, this is written for young children, but I still found it interesting myself and I think it provides a very good foundation of basic knowledge.

My son ( age 5) enjoyed listening to this book. He would not be able to read it alone yet. He also loved the pictures and was full of more questions about everything, so we ended up setting this book down repeatedly to go look something up on the internet. As we home educate, I consider this book to be a very worthwhile purchase as part of our science curriculum, but I do think any child with an interest in space would very much enjoy this book. My youngest son is only two, so he is really too young for this book, but surprisingly he really enjoys the pictures as well. Of course he does not understand the text, but he still enjoys sitting with me and trying to name the planets, so I think even very young children could get some benefit from this book. I think the ideal age range would be 4-8 though.

If I were to choose only one book to teach a young child the basics of space and the solar system this would be it.

Best book to learn about our solar system from.
on 19 January 2014
Bought this book for my 7 year old grandson who likes all things to do with space. He loves it.
on 24 January 2009
This is just one of a set of books that we bought for our grandson for Christmas. It is encouraging him to read, to ask questions and to take an interest in the world, and what man has achieved in space.
on 19 September 2015
good reading for my grandson.
on 1 November 2014