- Paperback: 288 pages
- Publisher: Bradt Travel Guides; 2 edition (15 July 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1841623474
- ISBN-13: 978-1841623474
- Product Dimensions: 1.9 x 13.3 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (22 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 125,697 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Southern African Wildlife (Bradt Travel Guides (Wildlife Guides)) Paperback – 15 Jul 2011
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'A book like this is a must if you are going on safari. It's an invaluable guide.' Abroad Magazine 'A highly focused view of the best wildlife.' SX Magazine 'This weighty, full-colour guide is unequalled in its sheer level of detail and its readability'. Travel Africa
About the Author
Mike Unwin divides his time between editing natural history books, writing, photography and illustration. He is author of Bradt's 100 Bizarre Animals and co-author of 100 Animals To See Before They Die.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book is wide in scope, covering mammals, birds, invertebrates, reptiles and amphibians as well as habitats, tracks and how to go about a safari. But astonishingly for a book you can slip into your pocket, it offers much more than a brief overview. Unless you are a specialist, this is all you would really need to appreciate everything you see (other than a field guide to birds, which you would need for identification purposes). Both the photography and illustrations are superb. I'm off to South Africa in a few weeks, and my copy is already dog-eared.
Anyway this book was a definite winner - he had his nose in it the whole time and read it from cover to cover during our time on safari! It's not really a field guide/atlas to identifying species but we did manage to identify several things using it. It's more of an informative guide, providing interesting facts about each animal, written well and with humour. We'll definitely be taking it on our next safari.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Very good just wish it had more pictures to show all the animals. Some very interesting information thoughPublished 21 hours ago by Andrew Wood
Now what I expected. Too wordy, not enough detail, but maybe I'm wrong for the book!Published 13 months ago by Wildy
One of the best writers about wildlife ever. He is enthusiastic and knows his stuff. You will never regret owning this superb reliable book.Published 14 months ago by LBR
A very handy little book with lovely photos and details of the many animals found in and around South Africa. Small enough to take with you.Published 14 months ago by Wendy
A good general guide to take on safari and light enough to carry around with you. Contained more information than I expected and particularly useful for mammals. Read morePublished 16 months ago by cynmet
Awaiting my use in Namibia, next year, and loaned in the meantime to friends who are going to South Africa this year!Published on 23 Sept. 2014 by ginnym
I was recently on a trip to South Africa and found this book very useful. It is small enough to bring along on safaris.Published on 14 Sept. 2013 by Private
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Wild Animals
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Countries & Regions > Africa
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Guidebook Series > Bradt Travel Guides
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Speciality Travel