Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 May 2017
Bought this for my husband as he has the original Vinyl, but we don't have a record player anymore.
on 12 September 2017
Superb direction and cast. What else to say ?
on 30 June 2001
An excellent re-work of the original Roger & Hammerstein work with stunning performances from the principal artistes. If you enjoy the original soundtrack, you cannot fail to adore this superb re-work.
on 14 February 2015
I didn't much care for this I'm afraid. I found the delivery of the two operatic leads to be far too stiff and formal while Sarah Vaughn over sang everything. Carreras' accent was just too much at times.
Sorry, not for me. I wish I'd just bought the movie soundtrack..
on 7 January 2017
This recording had nothing to do with Bernstein as one reviewer mentioned. One reviewer suggested they had to turn the volume right up to hear it I suggest they get a hearing test. Recording is excellent!
on 15 June 2013
Sarah Vaughan makes the CD against a rather pedestrian performance from the rest. Vaughan knows instinctively how to handle -- and improve -- such material.
on 17 June 2016
Great easy way to get something for my mother's birthday. Next day delivery with Prime made for a stress less experience 😀.
The crossover of operatic stars and their sensibilities into the musical theatre is not something I generally like, and this 1986 concert performance, trying to emulate the ensemble's success in the "Operatic West Side Story" of a couple of years previously, though competently performed and with a couple of divine cameos from Sarah Vaughan, misses the mark dramatically. Kiri te Kanawa's warm voice is just too refined to be a convincing Nelly Forbush, and Jose Carreras just gives way too much coloratura. For fans of the principals, though, I'm sure it will be rewarding.
on 13 April 2015
Superb what else can I say I love the music and the service excellent.
on 26 April 2016
Kiri and Jose sing wonderfully here, but classically trained musicians don't really work for me in musicals. Sarah Vaughan, wonderful as she is, takes too many liberties with Bali Ha'i and Happy Talk for my liking.The LSO sound great, but there's a lack of spontaneity here.The recording quality is such that I wondered if the singers and orchestra were ever in the same studio together. The film soundtrack is altogether much better - fresher, more natural and much more authentic.