Top critical review
One person found this helpful
Initially good, but do not last
on 15 April 2012
I bought these to replace my Sennheiser CX300IIs after one of the headphones stopped working, on the strength of a number of recommendations and positive reviews.
There are several good things about these headphones:
- The sound quality is very good for a pair of budget headphones. I like the CX300IIs and these are at least as good for sound quality, although they are heavier in the bass end (which I don't mind, I just adjusted the EQ and it's fine).
- They come well packaged with a cheap but effective pouch (fits an iPod Touch fine), three sets of buds and a clip for the wires to attach to your clothing. The last is particularly handy as it keeps the wires from rubbing (which creates quite a lot of noise) and tangling.
- Both left and right earphone cables are the same length which I think helps them not pull too much on one side or the other.
- They feel reasonably well-made and have a good amount of support in the areas which tend to be put under the most strain.
However there are also some annoyances:
- When the mp3 player is being moved around quite a bit (e.g. in a larger pocket while walking), there is a lot of crackling through the earphones which is really annoying.
- While charging my iPod touch, I get interference when listening to music through these earphones at the same time.
I can't yet say if they are longer-lasting than the Sennheisers. My CX300IIs lasted 2 years and I've only had these a few weeks. I think that would be the tipping point for me to choose these over Sennheisers again. In terms of sound quality they are very evenly matched.
Unfortunately, today the bass disappeared from these earphones leaving a very strange-sounding tinny tone, playing various bits and pieces of tracks. Shame as the sound was good - but having broken less than a year into their use, I can no longer recommend these and am therefore downgrading from four stars to two. The sound is good, but they clearly do not last.