on 2 June 2014
I've had my Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet for a week now so feel I've got to know it well. The real big positives of the physical aspects of the tablet are its light weight, it really is very light, and the very vibrant and detailed screen. The pixels per inch isn't as high as other top end tablets but in reality it's like splitting hairs - images and text are very sharp, and the colours are beautifully rich. Comparing my Z2 to my IPad Mini Retina display and there is little in it, maybe my IPad is a touch better in sharpness but it is barely noticeable. The lightness is incredible though. I've never wanted a 10 inch tablet before because I don't find them comfortable to hold in one hand - too heavy - but no such problems with the Z2. Appearances wise the Z2 has an elegant and contemporary design, simple but modern. Biggest negative is the finger print magnet back - it will smudge within a matter of minutes. OK it's supposed to be non-slip but the downside is it looks a mess with all the smudges and spoils the clean appearance. One other downside is that the touchscreen isn't as accurate or as responsive as my IPad Mini Retina - it's good enough but I find myself having to re-tap the screen more than once especially on small graphical links (which would otherwise just work on my IPad). It's no deal breaker for me but others might not be so forgiving.

Software wise there is little Sony software (or reskinning) on the Tablet so it's almost a clean Android experience. If you're a subscriber of Music Unlimited like myself then the Walkman app is a beautifully graphically rich universal music player bringing together Music Unlimited and your own on tablet owned MP3 albums. And there are Sony widgets which allow you to create drag-able windows on the screen for Hangouts messaging and browsing, plus other apps. Nice little feature.

So on to the real negatives. First night I had the tablet it crashed three times. Next day though a system software update arrived and I've not experienced any further crashes so hopefully it's been fixed in the latest system update. Next problem - music unlimited (MU) was down for almost two days. Not a problem of the Tablet but when MU eventually came back up the Walkman app stopped working with MU. The following day the Walkman app said it needed to update but when I went into the dedicated Sony App update centre (an app on the Z2) it said no updates were available. So I had an app requesting an update but no update was available. After getting no luck on Sony forums (even speaking to Sony employees) for a solution I eventually found the latest Walkman update on the XDA (Android Community) developers website - so I downloaded it with the nagging concern of downloading viruses - but it worked, the Walkman App is up to date and finally I can use Music Unlimited again in the Walkman app. Thing is - I shouldn't have to do this and this is one example of where I think Sony lacks - bug free and reliable software! Most Sony products I have owned have had pretty buggy software. My concern now is that for some reason the Update Centre app on my Z2 isn't working and that future app updates won't be received. Time will tell.

Besides the aforementioned software problem (albeit seemingly fixed through my own efforts and not Sony's) this is a very nice tablet and well worth the money.
on 5 November 2014
all good thanks
on 16 August 2014
I've given it 5 stars because apart from the dodgy touch screen responsiveness it's a superb tablet. I'm not worried about the touch screen because I know Sony are working on a fix to improve it. I believe they've already released the fix for the wifi version so the LTE version should be out soon.

Other nice features are the the ability to use the Dualshock 3 controller to play games, although I think I'll look a complete twat using that on the train in the mornings.

It's impossibly thin. How Sony squeezed a 6000 mAh battery into it is beyond me. The battery life is excellent; it still had 60% battery left after a 3 hour commute of heavy gaming.

The micro SD slot is a welcome addition after using the Nexus 7. I put a 128 GB card in it and now have a whopping 140 GB storage available.

BUT! and this is a big but

What were Sony thinking when they put the headphone socked on the bottom. I didn't notice the flaw until I bought the Sony case and tried to prop the tablet up to watch a film. The tablet rests on the headphone plug. The only way to resolve this is to put the tablet in the case upside down. I'm hoping other case manufacturers will come up with an ingenious solution to this.

I did consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab S because of its superior AMOLED screen, but the gold edging made it look far too blingy for me and there was so much bloatware it was unrecognizable as an Android device.

All in all the Xperia Z2 is an excellent device and apart from the minor niggle with the headphone socket I'd highly recommend it.
review image
33 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 June 2014
I previously gave this device a 5 star review after being very impressed with it vs an iPad Air being my second option... This is my 2 year experience review...

After 2 years use I am very dissatisfied due to the screen reliability.

The Problem...

My screen started to show "dead pixels" which are pixels that are stuck on a red or green colour. This is very noticeable on dark background screens or black display with little colour objects being displayed.

Xperia Care Advice...

After trying the several software fixes recommended by Xperia Care, they advised (please note this) that "I should return the device for repair as it is under warranty." There was no other information than that.

The Repair...

5 days later the Repair Centre invoiced me £138 for the repair stating the screen fault is down to "pressure applied to the display"... On a touch screen device! You don't say Sony! That is its intended use after all...

They also stated that Sony's policy is that any screen defects are now NOT covered by the warranty. I'm not sure how true that is, but it sounded like they wanted no responsibility for the poor quality of the product.

To be clear, this device was fitted with a 9H tempered glass screen protector from its first day of use. Also this device was rarely use anyway, and treated well due to resale value of Sony products. So I didn't want to cause any excessive damage to the device. It was very rarely taken outside my home.

On contacting the repair centre number I was informed they would also charge me £25 to return the device even without a repair. I repeatedly said "why would I send the device away if there was a cost to me", but they were very rude and adamant.

Xperia Care "Solution"...

I therefore rang main office who escalated the case only to be informed that their was nothing they could do 5 days later, because they have to go off the repair centre information. They also would not allow a good will gesture either at least return to product back for free as they are a "separate company" to the repair centres. Therefore I have no use but to be out of pocket £25 with still a defective device. They had no other helpful advice and would not allow it a formal complaint or a further escalation happen. They closed my case and informed me to contact the repair centre for the device to be returned at the £25 fee.

My Summary...

1 - Long term build quality of Sony Xperia screens for use under a "touch screen" device has been poor in my case. I could not guarantee quality to a friend.
2 - Sony Xperia warranty is not clear on its covering of Screen Faults. It is likely that they don't cover screen issues anymore due to the subjective nature of "pressure being applied to the screen" judgement made by the repair centre.
3 - Sony Xperia Care are not the same company as the Repair Centres therefore their is no negotiations that can be made if you have problems with the customer service from the repair centre or the judgement made on the device. Not even a good will gesture.
4 - Be clear of the advice to send a fault device for repair as you will not have Sony Xperia Care headquarters support if anything goes wrong (like point 3 above).

For the record I have been a Sony Xperia T, Z3 Compact, Z5 Compact and Z2 Tablet user and have loved Sony's Android experience. However the build quality on both my Z2 Tablet and Z5 Compact has been awful and they are not as competitive as other Android manufacturers like they used to be (see Nexus 6P for example). Therefore after 5 years of loyally buying Sony Mobiles this experience has become the last straw and I will not be buying Sony Mobile products again.

I am a big Sony fan and will still continue to use Bravia TVs and Playstations but it's time to say farewell to Sony Xperia.
55 Comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2014
Don't delay buy today, one very satisfied customer (my wife) I was going to buy this for myself but tried out my wifes 10 inch tablet to see if I preffered the Nexus 7 Format- found her own Tablet very slow to extent, I wondered wether I had touched the keyboard!

Xperia Z2 10.1 inch flies very good touchscreen, with glove mode hidden in settings, the large bezel looks awkard at first, until you notice you can grab it comfortably, and not get marks on screen, it does pisck up fingerprints quite easily but just got Clearscreen liquid protector on as I can never get screens on without bubbles or bits of dust behind screen, perhaps this should be an option when buy tablet to have screen of your choice put on professionally. I am waiting for Nexus 8, if thats no good will be buying another Z2 :-)
on 16 September 2016
Bought the z2 tablet 2 years ago in UK (2014), with 3 year extended warranty. A few months later yellow discoloration and dead pixels developed despite using official case.

A few similar reports were around at the time but variable success with repairs, so I held off long enough to see enough reports that this could be considered a manufacturing problem rather than "physical damage" and for them to start manufacturing better screens that could then be used in repairs.

After 2 years more and more dead pixels developed, so decided to send it in for repair. Just received a receipt and request to call them for a "chargeable" repair.

Given the numerous stories on the Sony community forums of this problem, and repeat dead pixels despite repeated fixes, it doesn't seem worthwhile paying to have another screen that will breakdown. £25 to get it back from repair centre without repair.

Really disappointed, had bought the official noise cancelation earphones which broke quick too, but was still considering upgrading to z4 tablet in future, but with a growing and cementing reputation for poor customer service and build quality, it really makes me look to other products.

I contacted the repair centre , and was informed that the charge receipt letter had been sent in error, and that there was infact no charge, and my tablet was with the repair technician already.

However received an e-mail 4 days later, with an estimated charge of £150.

So unfortunately Sony are not addressing the feedback, and giving mixed feedback on their customer service and warranty commitments.

Apart from this screen problem the tablet worked really well. I was planning to get the z4 tablet in future, but now I will not be purchasing any Sony products in future.
on 8 August 2014
Well it really is a very light and slim 10" tablet which is also waterproof which might come in handy, the screen is bright and has deep colours, it is not too cluttered with built in apps etc and is really very easy to use and setup overall.

I have been using it for about a month now with no problems detected, the battery can run down fairly quickly depending on what you are using it for of course like watching a movie or video etc but this is generally what to expect with a higher quality screen, charge time can be a while too, but again probably around the usual for an hd tablet.

Overall I would recommend this Sony Tablet as it looks great, is slim, has a great hd screen and quite importantly very light to hold in one hand or two for reading.
on 2 January 2015
Bought my mother one of these for Christmas and she loves it. From the moment you first pick it up there's a look and feel of real quality, while the display is bright and sharp. There's a bit of Sony bloat-ware but is easy to remove or hide so you can soon have the start screen looking just how you like. The touch screen is very responsive and speakers loud enough for any normal exercise.
Opening the tab the fit the USB charger is a minor irritation, but it lasts well on a full charge and a magnetic charging dock is available if plugging in really bothers you. I strongly recommend the clip on case, both for protection and for it's options in propping up the tablet when watching a movie, iplayer, etc.
on 14 June 2014
Had it 10 days or so and still finding new features. Fast and good graphis/text. Would recommend it. Came down to choice between this and an ipad but Sony won. Loads of features and the Sony name behind it. I contacted Sony customer services with a couple of queries before buying and very helpful people. Price-wise nothing in it so went for the Android system I know. Apple has the 'fashionable' kudos but....
on 25 August 2015
This is my first review so be kind. First of all the tablet seemed to be top quality and performed really well as I've owned an ipad and a Samsung I thought it was the better of the top brands. Then all of a sudden the battery life started to get shorter and shorter. I contacted Sony and in the end I was advised to send it one of their repair centers. The fault is the main circuit board which will have to be replaced. I am unable to give it any more stars or a better review as Sony still have it 3 weeks on and are still waiting for parts!!!!!!!!!!!
So two stars for the tablet and zero stars for Sony customer service.
I WILL SAY 5 STARS FOR AMAZON CUSTOMER SERVICE WHEN I CONTACTED THEM REGARDING THIS ISSUE.
UPDATE.
Sony still didn't have the parts to repair my tablet 3 weeks on so I had it returned to me and Amazon agreed to refund me no quibble. Great service from Amazon. Sony has the worst customer service I have ever experienced.