- Also check our best rated Smart Phone reviews
Sony XPERIA S UK Sim Free Mobile Phone
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 1.5Ghz dual core processor
- 4.3' HD display 720p
- 12mp camera
- HD Video capture 1080p
- 32Gb Internal memory
Please note that devices dispatched from and sold by Amazon are automatically registered on CheckMend and the National Mobile Property Register (NMPR), this information is shared in accordance with the Amazon.co.uk Privacy Notice
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Compare to similar items
Sony M4 Aqua Black UK Sim Free Smartphone
Sony Xperia Z3 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Sony Xperia E5 UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Sony Xperia L1 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Sony Xperia SP SIM-free Android Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||MB Direct Trading Ltd||TECHNO NEEDS STORE||Axi Communication||Shelfone™ (UK - VAT Registered)||PTCommunication|
|Display Size||4.3 inches||5 inches||5.2 inches||5 inches||5.5 inches||4.6 inches|
|Item Dimensions||1.06 x 6.4 x 12.8 cm||7.2 x 0.7 x 14.6 cm||0.74 x 14.6 x 7.19 cm||1 x 6.9 x 14.4 cm||0.8 x 7.4 x 15.1 cm||9.98 cm x 1 cm x 1.31 m|
|Item Weight||144 grams||136 grams||152 grams||150 grams||180 grams||155 grams|
|Memory Storage Capacity||32 GB||8 GB||16 GB||16 GB||16 GB||8 GB|
|Special Feature||touchscreen; camera; e-mail; face_detection; flash; front_camera; GPS; radio; stereo_jack_connector; usb; wifi; dual_core_processor||touchscreen; camera; flash; face_detection; front_camera; mp3_ringtones; stereo_jack_connector; wifi; GPS; radio; usb; e-mail||camera; e-mail; face_detection; flash; front_camera; GPS; mp3_ringtones; quad_core_processor; radio; stereo_jack_connector; touchscreen; usb; wifi||touchscreen^quad_core_processor^camera^flash^face_detection^front_camera^mp3_ringtones^stereo_jack_connector^wifi^GPS^radio^usb^e-mail||—||camera; dual_core_processor; e-mail; face_detection; flash; front_camera; GPS; mp3_ringtones; radio; stereo_jack_connector; touchscreen; usb; wifi|
|Wireless Communication Technology||Bluetooth; GSM; WiFi||3G; 4G; GPRS; GSM; Edge; Bluetooth; HSDPA; WiFi||4G; Bluetooth; Edge; GPRS; GSM; HSDPA; UMTS; WiFi||3G^4G^Bluetooth^Edge^GPRS^GSM^HSDPA^WiFi||4G||GSM; UMTS; 4G; Edge; WiFi; Bluetooth|
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Sony Xperia™ S – Experience everything in HD
Happy faces, remarkable places. Shoot them in full HD video and see them shine back from the crisp clear HD display. Then move on to a wider world of entertainment. Movies, hit music, PlayStation® games. A few clicks away with Xperia™ S and Sony ntertainment Network. And don’t keep all the fun to yourself. Share it on your HD TV, straight from your smartphone.
See every detail
See every inch of that award-winning actor. Zoom in on every detail of your favourite TV show. Experience videos, photos and TV in deep, vivid, colour on the large, bright 4.3” HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine. Sharp pictures. No jagged edges. Merely the terrific entertainment in HD.
Snap your shots in an instant
Some events are too good to miss. Now you don’t have to. Start your camera in just over a second. Pointing and shooting takes one second too. And you can keep on shooting. No delays, no missing the subject. Just you capturing that special moment forever. Then share it direct, on Facebook™ or in a message.
Show it like it is
First day of the summer, last day at the beach. Memories may fade, but Xperia™ S keeps them bright. Record it all in full HD video with the 12 megapixel camera, even in low light. The Exmor R™ for mobile camera sensor lightens up any gloomy day. Got it on your smartphone? Share it on your TVWant to be entertained? Download a movie from Video Unlimited™*. Connect Xperia ™ S to an HD TV with an HDMI cable and the TV launcher pops up automatically. Now use your phone to play, fast forward, or enjoy your favourite scene again.
Get ready for that kick-down start
Brake late. Hug the chicane. Accelerate hard out of the turn. Packed full of roaring engines and superb effects, Need for Speed™ Shift by EA™ Games comes free with Xperia™ S. Fingers itching for more? Buy and download more games straight from this PlayStation® certified smartphone. With new games released continuously, boredom is not an option.
2G bands (primary SIM): 850,900,1800,1900 MHz
2G standards: EDGE, GPRS, GSM
3G bands supported: 850,900,1900,2100 MHz
3G standards: HSPA
Ambient light sensor: Y
Assisted GPS (A-GPS): Y
Auto focus: Y
Bluetooth profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HSF, HSP, OPP, PBAP
Bluetooth version: 2.0+EDR
Built-in camera: Y
Built-in flash: Y
Cables included: USB
Call hold: Y
Call timer: Y
Call waiting: Y
Caller ID: Y
Camera included: Y
Colour of product: Black
Conference call: Y
Depth: 10.6 mm
Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) certified: Y
Digital zoom: 16x
Display diagonal: 10.9 cm (4.3")
Display number of colours: 16.78 million colours
Display resolution: 1280 x 720 pixels
Display type: TFT
Electronic compass: Y
Exchange support: Y
FM radio: Y
Face detection: Y
Flash type: LED
Flight mode: Y
Form factor: Bar
Front camera: Y
Front camera resolution (numeric): 1.3 MP
GPS (satellite): Y
HDMI ports quantity: 1
Headphone connectivity: 3.5 mm
Height: 128 mm
Image formats supported: BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG
Image stabilizer: Y
Instant messaging (IM): Y
Internal RAM: 1 GB
Internal storage capacity: 32 GB
Java technology: Y
MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service): Y
Microphone mute: Y
Music player: Y
Near Field Communication (NFC): Y
Networking standards: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Office support: Y
Operating system installed: Android
Operating system version: 2.3
Orientation sensor: Y
Personal info management (PIM): Alarm clock, Calendar, Events reminder, Notes, To-do list
Personalization: Icons, Menu, Shortcuts, Widgets
Polyphonic ring: Y
Position location: Y
Processor family: Qualcomm
Processor frequency: 1.5 GHz
Processor model: MSM 8260
Proximity sensor: Y
Quick start guide: Y
RSS reader: Y
Radio Data System (RDS): Y
Rear camera resolution (numeric): 5 MP
SIM card capability: Single SIM
SIM card type: MicroSIM
Short Message Service (SMS): Y
Smile detection: Y
Speed dialing: Y
Standby time (2G): 450 h
Standby time (3G): 420 h
Subscription type: No subscription
Talk time (2G): 7.3 h
Talk time (3G): 8.3 h
Touch technology: Multi-touch
Touchscreen type: Capacitive
USB 2.0 ports quantity: 1
USB connector type: Micro-USB A
USB mass storage: Y
USB version: 2.0
Vibrating alert: Y
Video call: Y
Video formats supported: 3GP, H.263, H.264, MPEG4
Video playback: Y
Video recording: Y
Video recording modes: 1080p, 720p
Voice recording: Y
Volume control: Digital
Weight: 144 g
Wi-Fi positioning: Y
Wi-Fi standards: 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n
Width: 64 mm
Wireless connection: Y
Click here for a larger image
Discover the Xperia S
See movies and photos in crisp, clear HD on the large Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine. The full HD video recording and fast 12MP camera lets you shoot everything in sharp detail, even in low light, and view it on your TV via an HDMI cable. Xperia S is PlayStation Certified, so you can play the perfect game. And you can enjoy millions of songs from Music Unlimited. Or download hit movies from Video Unlimited.
4.3” HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine
Enhanced contrast. Richer colours. Less image noise. The Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine makes the super-wide, 4.3"", LED back-lit screen sharp and crisp. And through reduced light reflection, the picture stays clear when you're outdoors too.
12MP camera with Exmor R
Sony's Exmor R for mobile CMOS sensor lets you capture high-quality, bright pictures and videos in poor light conditions. Don’t leave anything to chance.
Just over a second from standby to snap and quick shot to shot capture with the Xperia S 12MP camera. Or shoot in crystal clear, full 1080p HD and share everything with your friends on Facebook or by email and text.
Click here for a larger image
Entertainment at the speed of delight
Why wait to be entertained? Start the camera. Now shoot and save your best snaps super quick. The 1.5GHz dual core processors do everything at the speed of light. So download and play games, browse the web and watch videos, instead of watching them load.
Share it all on your HD TV with HDMI
It’s so easy to show all your photos and videos on an HD TV with an HDMI cable. Simply connect your TV and phone and the TV launcher will pop up automatically on your TV screen. Use your smartphone or television remote to browse all the media on your phone.
Sony Entertainment Network
Feasts for film fans, masses of music. Enjoy a global catalogue of more than 12 million songs from Music Unlimited. Or download your favourite blockbuster movies from Video Unlimited. It’s all on Sony Entertainment Network. With only one account you can enjoy everything on your Xperia smartphone, BRAVIA TV, tablet or PS3. No trips to the store. No late fees. Just pure entertainment.
Get immersed in gaming with the PlayStation certified Xperia S. Download thousands of great titles for your Xperia smartphone from Android Market and PlayStation Store.
Click here for a larger image
Smart Extras for Android
The announcement of Xperia S is supported by the launch of three new Smart Extras accessories to enhance the experience on Android and to your smartphone.
Xperia SmartTags – switch your smartphone settings with a single swipe
Xperia SmartTags work with any NFC enabled smartphone, including Xperia S. Simply touch a NFC enabled smartphone to a SmartTag, which is the shape and size of a small round token, and it launches a pre-configured profile in the phone, such as the alarm clock for a SmartTag by your bed or a GPS application for the SmartTag in your car. These profiles can be easily personalised to reflect any taste, designed to save consumers time and make their smartphone lives easier.
Smart Wireless Headset pro – the Bluetooth headset that does it all
This Bluetooth stereo headset for Android smartphones offers multifunctional features in addition to superior sound. On the display of Smart Wireless Headset pro users can read text messages, see incoming calls, access calendar notifications and much more. When detached from the phone it functions as a standalone MP3 player and radio.
SmartWatch – access apps and smartphone features with a micro display for Android
SmartWatch is a micro display accessory for communicating with an Android smartphone via Bluetooth. Consumers can, for example, discretely access text messages, social media updates and manage calls or music. The display is mounted on a strap and can be worn as a watch. Applications allowing users to personalize their SmartWatch experience will be available on Android market.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
battery-wise it's not spectacular, merely adequate, but then it's a high performance phone. I get a day out of mine, and that's fine, as I charge overnight, and that's texting during the day, web browsing, music via Bluetooth headset etc.
This is confirmed on Sony's list for Jellybean (which after using on my Nexus7, I can vouch for it being superb), and this will make it even better.
Worth noting, it takes Micro-SIM, not the regular SIM, you can get them cut down, or just go to your network shop and they will give you one (T-Mobile did for me).
Initially there were a couple of minor niggles, but Sony have sorted them out via firmware updates, and the great camera, display and sound quality mean if you can't quite stretch to the "Bond Phone" - Xperia T, this is a great alternative.
I purchased the Xperia S because it looked great value in comparison to the more obvious choices of an iPhone 5 or a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I have to say that for what you get I think it reoresents tremendous value. It is half the price of the iPhone and whilst I am sure the iPhone is a better phone I really dont think it is worth the premium. I also prefer the openess of android rather than being locked into Apples systems.
I have previously had an iPhone 3Gs and I would say this phone is at least on par with it and in many ways better. The screen is fantastic it is really crisp and the active wallpapers look great. I have found the speed of the phone to be first class. It handles apps, internet browsing and the usual activities quickly and smoothly with no hint of slowdown, in fact it is quite addicitve initially as there is so much you can do with this phone.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think it is a smart looking phone, the clear transprent strip looks quite stylish and the screen quality and resolution is very good.
The negatives with this phone are really in two areas:
1. The main Navigation buttons at the bottom of the phone are unresponsive and hard to see. The buttons are actually small dots above the icons on the clear strip, the strip is purely decorative and doesn't actually do anything other than look nice. You have to press quite hard and sometimes several times to get a response from the buttons and as these are the main buttons for the master functions on the phone this detracts from the slickness of the phone. It isnt the end of the world and you can get them to work but it does take the polish of what is a very nice phone. My wife has the Arc S and the physical buttons that feature on this older model work much better. I think the idea is nice as it makes for a nicer more modern design but unfortunately the implementation spoils the idea.
2. The charge point is hidden under a fiddly plastic strap which I am convinced will snap off in the not too distant future. This is annoying as it is something you need to use everyday and again it spoils the user experience, it just doesnt feel like they have thought about the user having to charge everyday and have instead made it unnecassarily cumbersome.
Overall I am pleased with the phone and despite the niggles listed above I think this is a very good phone for the price. I would have rated this 5 stars if it didnt have these issues as these are really the only the things that I have found to complain about after a week of owning the phone.
As long as you dont mind about these features I dont think you will be disapointed with the phone.
PS I upgraded from an old HTC phone and didnt realise I also needed a micro sim from my network which was an additional £10 from the network. No biggy and this may be common knowledge but I didnt realise that I would need this when I read the product description.
Hope this helps.
Well, before you go on to read this review, lemme say that i am a core Android user and have been using Android ever since it came into existence. I have had some of best in class Android phones like Xperia (Pro, Arc S, S), Samsung Galaxy S2 & HTC and also Apple iPhone 4S. I initially had Xperia Arc S and from there to Samsung Galaxy S2 and now to Xperia S. I was completely blown away with Xperia S!!! Its the best Android Phone i have used till date. Just awesome and overcomes an problems with earlier Xperia Phones.
1. Display: Awesome!! Very good... The Major difference when compared to Samsung Galaxy S2. Sony is the best when it comes to the display. You can actually use a high definition video with a lot of details like Avatar and be completely satisfied with the quality.
2. Performance: Extremely good!! Like a 100% improvement when compared to other Xperia Products. Now you can actually enjoy placing folders in the Home Screen. For those thinking if its a new feature - its NOT or if your thinking "whats the difference then", try out this one, if you have an android phone(Xperia Arc S or Samsung Galaxy S2 for instance) try placing a lot of folders on the homescreen. With less internal memory, the most obvious thing for us to do is to move everything to the SD card. Once you do that and group them in folders, the phone almost becomes unusable. Thanks to Xperia S, we no longer have to worry about it.
3. Camera: Incredible camera performance. Outstanding quality!!! My favorite feature when it comes to camera, you can access camera even when the phone is locked. This comes immensely handy when your in parties and want to catch a funny instant or the first time your kid walks.
4. Feel of it: Its amazing how it perfectly fits your palm. As much as you think it doesnt matter, it actually DOES MATTER how it fits your palm. Its very elegant to look at. It doesnt matter if your working or studying, it feels and looks good :) And when it comes to the weight, it feels the same as Samsung S2 or even lighter.
5. Sony Gesture Input in Keyboard: If your wondering what it is, its a way to enter text by Swiping over the letter than actually pressing the letters. Sony is OUTSTANDING when it comes to this feature. HTC doesnt have it and Samsung Galaxy S2's Swype is almost terrible. Its nothing new when compared to other Xperia Phones but is definitely one of the main reason i am with Sony Phones. If your used to it its absolutely top class. (and its NOT the same as Swift keyboard that you can purchase from Google play).
6. Battery life: Same as Samsung Galaxy S2 (much better than Xperia Arc S)
7. GPS: It actually can find your location even when your in-house (same as Samsung galaxy s2) which is not the case with other Xperia Phones.
1. Email Application: I do not know why but most of the Phones do not have an Email Application that supports Multiple Folder Sync. The only one who gives you that out of the box is HTC(Sony gave Moxier Pro full version with most of their Xperia phones but we don't have it in Xperia S). You can always download an Email Application that supports it but most of the times you need to buy it. Since i am working, this is something i miss out of the box but i purchased an application.
Android is an incredibly powerful OS but there wasn't a phone to utilize it to its fullest. Samsung Galaxy S2 was close and my favorite but now Xperia S steals the show. A lovely phone and i am completely satisfied. Great job Sony!!! Thank you!!!
Most recent customer reviews