on 2 January 2016
Great speaker, on the heavy side for something that is meant to be portable. Good battery life.
on 5 April 2017
Fantastic. Now my neighbour wants one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 July 2013
Colour: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Weighing just over 1½ Kg and with dimensions of Length: 34cm; Height: 11cm; Depth: 6cm this is, size wise, at the upper-end of the portable Bluetooth speaker range. It's smart and stylish with a high end finish and it looks the part. It's not free standing - a kick stand that covers some of the controls has to be opened to support it and it has to remain open for it to work. The Bluetooth paired seamlessly with my iPad, the range is good within the house and my iPad now recognises the speaker every time I switch it on. The volume and speaker phone buttons are conventionally situated on top of the speaker.

Powered by 2 channel speakers with a combined output of 20W, the sound delivered is MASSIVE. The volume goes up, up & up and the quality of the sound is excellent. It's rich and detailed and, most importantly (and where some Bluetooth speakers fall down), the bass is near perfect - it doesn't get lost in the mix and it doesn't have an unnatural forced sound either. There are three sound modes - Standard, Megabass and Megabass & Surround. I have it defaulted to Megabass & Surround but if the truth be told, there's no real noticeable difference between the three. Nonetheless, as the product information states, the sound really does fill every corner of the room.

Portability wise, this is perfect for the home and garden. However, given its size and weight, high end finish and the fact that you have to open the kick stand to use it, this is not the sort of speaker you'd want to take camping or down to the beach. Also, the battery life is limited compared to some of the competition - I've been getting between 7 and 7½ hours of playback. If you're after a truly portable speaker, then I'd recommend the Braven 650. Although it doesn't go as loud as this, the quality of the sound is just as good, it's much more compact and lighter, will not mark or scratch as easily, delivers approximately 16 hours of playback and you can switch between tracks (a function that this speaker doesn't have). It is, at the time of writing, in the same price range. But, if you're just after a speaker for the home then this speaker is the better option.

A full charge takes about three hours and you can use it whilst its charging. There's no indication that the battery is running low - it just powers off. It also has some added features - you can charge a mobile device from it, it doubles as a speaker phone and it is Near Field Communication (NFC) compatible. Download an NFC app for Android devices and by touching the speaker with your device it connects the two. However, it will work with any Bluetooth enabled device - NFC is an optional extra function. It also comes with a handy carry case.

In summary, if you're after a portable or dedicated speaker for the home or workplace, this is the one to get. Sound wise it's astonishing and it's the next best thing to a stereo system setup and for the price it represents EXCELLENT value for money. However, if you're after a truly portable speaker for outside of the home then consider the Braven 650 instead.
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Colour: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one of the best gadgets I've had for ages, and I simply love it.

Out of the box, the first thing you notice is that it looks and feels very high quality. It's really quite small, about the size of a slim breeze block, but feels really heavy. You just know it's gonna sound good. The white matt plasstic has a high-end look and feel, and there's lots of metail, polished chrome too. The buttons click solidly, light up, and the side stand slowly slides out. It oozes well-builtness, and has an apple-esque build quality to it.

Connecting via blutooth is quick, easy and 100%reliable.

The sound is brilliant, fills my large kitchen with rich sound, not at all tinny, just about the right amount of bass, great clarity. It really comes into it's own when you take it outside - the inbuilt battery lasts ages, delivers as much oomph as when on mains, and doesnt appear to loose any of the sound quality even outdoors.

This really is a speaker of the highest qulaity, I take it everywhere (in it's handy carry case) - it is simply BRILLIANT.
on 17 July 2014
I have had the Sony SRSBTX300 for a few months now. The sound is really good for the price and size. I bought it to replace an old HiFi / CD player, since I no longer listen to CDs. The sound is not as good as my HiFi, which has two large speakers, but it's good enough to let me ditch the old thing. I compared it in store to the Jambox Big and a Bose SoundLink II, it sounded a lot better than the Jambox, the bass really comes through which it didn't on the Jambox. The sound was pretty comparable to the Bose, great volume and bass and a clear sound throughout. At about a third of the price of the Bose this was a no-brainer.

Connecting various phones and computers to it has been relatively painless, most things just connect right away. I love being able to get home, flick the bluetooth on on my phone, and play a song. It has connected before the song even starts usually.

The only problem I've had is with my laptop, which runs Ubuntu Linux. The speaker connects ok although there was a bit of trouble getting it to play high fidelity, the default seems to be a phone quality stream, which doesn't sound good. The connection also dropped after about 30 mins. I think this is probably down to poor Linux bluetooth support though, and I imagine you would get the same problems with any bluetooth speaker. I've had no problems with a Mac Mini and a bunch of different Android phones and tablets.
on 24 January 2015
Htc users take note. If you turn the Bluetooth on your phone on and then turn the Sony on you'll get a stuttering cut out every thirty seconds. You have to turn the Sony on first and then turn the Bluetooth on the phone on and it works perfectly. It's a bit of a pain because if you forget and turn off the WiFi on the phone and turn it on again you'll get the stuttering connection and you have to turn the Sony off and then on again. The Sony worked connecting either way on a Sony tablet, an iPhone and 2 other android devices. Only the htc m8 had this annoying fussiness.

Anyway, this is a superb piece of kit that oozes quality. The definition is really excellent and both the bass output and volume were better than previous Bluetooth towers about three foot high that I've had. (though you do really need a good equalizer such as that on the Poweramp app or the one on Spotify. It sounds exceptionally good at a loud volume but also sounds great at low volumes. I listen to mostly classical music and the clarity of this unit is spot on. Stuff like Rage Against the machine or muse sound really powerful though. It's got strength as well as finesse. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 27 June 2013
Colour: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have had a number of wireless speakers and this one is by far the best. It's simply a high quality, well designed product which doesn't disappoint on any level.

Pros

Weighty Product, solid base made more secure by the addition of a 'leg'
Awesome Sound - as good as any full sound system
One-touch connection (if you have a smartphone)
DC out only port- you can charge devices!
Hands-free calling (microphone is on the speaker)

I seriously have no cons to report. In the past with other speakers the bluetooth connection hasn't always been the quickest or the easiest to establish but this system connected to my ipod almost instantly. I simply held the button down (which is revealed once you move the leg via the lock release) to pair the device and I was away. You can alter the sound, green light for surround sound, amber for high quality bass sound or you can simply turn the sound effect off. The speaker even comes with a carry case which is a simple black slip but is nevertheless a nice addition.
I'm using this speaker to play the music on my ipod and the sound really does fill the room wonderfully.
on 7 June 2014
Battery runs down very quick not the 8 hours as stated, so it has to be connected to the mains most of the time
on 17 October 2014
After long deliberation reviewing top brands, I decided to run with this.
Ok, it lacks a bit in bass, but the sound is balanced, clarity is crystal, if extra bass is needed, I use a bass enhancer on my smartphone, it works a treat. Never drops Bluetooth signal and is small enough for travel with its traveling case (nice touch Sony).
All in all I would highly recommend this unit for sound, size, price, looks, weight and sheer sexiness ( I have white version), it's a joy to connect and watch peoples expressions when they realise the large sound is coming from such a small device!
on 8 April 2014
Nowadays My money goes where the integrity is so when it comes to white-goods I only buy Sony. This is a phenomenal piece of kit. I wanted something to fill the room with good quality sound when I'm doing stuff around the house - washing dishes, getting ready etc. and this does that job as well as anything. I see that there are more expensive ones on the market and I couldn't possibly comment on them .. but seriously, if you're not made of money you don't want to spend a fortune on this kind of toy .. at just under a hundred pounds this one if GREAT value for money. The build quality is unmatchable and I recon there's no need to worry about this speaker ever developing any rattle. I listentoeverything from Classical to Prog' .. from Jazz to Folk .. including some 1930s stuff recorded in mono (Busby Berkeley etc) and this Sony Blue-toothS peaker seperates the sound very,very well, you can hear every thing going on in the mix. One reviewer said (being super picky) the top end could sometimes be a bit brighter .. and perhaps it could for hi-hats and high-end electric guitars etc .. but you can fix that by selecting a different pre-set in your EQ settings. PersonallyI think the highs are as good as the full, fat booming basses that this box delivers. It's about as big as a ladies clutch bag and it sits perfectly solid on it's pull-out support leg with rubber feet. There was a time when everyone got completely anal about sound delivery .. with diagrams telling you where to position yourself between the speakers and so on but those days are gone .. with this little beauty you can still close your eyes and enjoy the very best, the very finest music of Mozart, Vangelis, Joni or Toot without any compromise whatsoever. I love it and if you're a music lover I think you will too.