on 30 December 2016
So far - loving it - though bought the Alexander White book to go with it so that I can benefit from more of the incredible range of things this little beauty can do. Usually an aim and shoot girl, this makes me want to try and use a bit more functionality.
I got it on the basis of many reviews, particularly on amazon and particular the spectacular one by Proff. It replaces a well out of date Canon SLR that never got anywhere near as many outings due to its size.
My major challenges are to learn to use it better, but also to find a way of protecting it. I do resent having to pay a fortune for a sony case, so am still searching around for options. It is also a challenge to learn to hold the camera without holding my finger over the flash (its soooo tiny compared to my old SLR).
I like the wifi aspect, which was the main reason for going to the mk 2 version - and sure enough it worked well enough to upload a photo onto my smart phone whilst stopping over at a remote country pub for a break from walking. The tilt screen hopefully will do the job in bright sunlight - which is a bonus when you are starting to lose your close vision.
It seems to pick out detail in amazing depth, just from pointing and pressing. I am hoping I can advance to better things!
2 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2015
Bought this to replace a Lumix DMC-G2 camera. Can safely say that this camera for its diminutive size packs the biggest punch I've ever seen in a compact camera. Lots of features and performance in a tiny form factor. The picture quality on this thing is absolutely phenomenal and after watching a few youtube videos on how to setup and use the camera, I have been taking studio quality shots and cannot put the camera down! This thing is an absolutely amazing gadget. Great low light shots due to the large ISO range and the flash is of good quality. The hotshoe also makes it easy to add an electronic viewfinder which I am saving up for. The only (minor) negative with the camera is the size and smooth finish making the camera somewhat slippery to hold. I've since bought a Sony AG-R2 grip on Amazon for a small price to rectify this and the camera is much easier to handle. A minor issue but ideally the grip should have been included with the camera.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 May 2015
We're so pleased with the camera - it does evrything we need and more. The different modes are brilliant for when you can't be bothered to think about what you're doing but it's also nice to be able to control the shutter speed and aperture for when you want to get creative. It's a really small size so great for hoidays. Most importantly, the picture quality is excellent.
It does take a bit of getting used to - the shutter feels like it's in the wrong place and the pop up flash is a bit awkward, but after a few days it's fine.
on 27 October 2015
There are many reviews about this camera I like the 100mm end would prefer 24 at the other end though. It takes very good pictures but is reasonably complicated to use as options available vary according to mode. I generally use this when travelling or events as it fits in a pocket.
on 2 October 2015
fabulous camera and extremely well made.you may have to be an enthusiast to make the most of all its many features,but just as impressive as a top class point and shoot,if you want a long zoom go elsewhere,other than that it cannot be bettered in this price range.
on 5 October 2017
Great camera, great price!
on 8 October 2014
great little camera in terms of image quality. But disappointed with the AF and usability. I have a Ricoh GR and the Sony interface is a mess in comparison and the AF is not as reliable as my partners canon p&s.
on 2 September 2015
Great for an amateur photographer who wants good quality photos.
on 24 July 2015
For the last few years, I have usually been content with mobile phone cameras. The quality wasn't great, but it was enough for the odd snapshot and even a photo book for grandma back in Germany. Lately, however, I have been going out more, and I work at events at which reduced ambient light is an issue. I knew I didn't want to get a DSLR, which was way too heavy and big, and most people react to those behemoths as if someone just aimed a bazooka at them. So I looked into compact cameras, and there was really only one option to go with - the RX100 series. I was initially aiming for the m3, mainly due to the viewfinder and the on-camera apps, but when the m2 came up on the Prime Day sale for £270 (plus £40 cashback) vs. £550 for the m3 from sellers who don't ship from China, I bought it without any hesitation whatsoever, together with a 32GB 95MB/s SD Card.

################### Packaging and Contents ###################
Gonna keep this short - well packed, maybe a bit more spartan than you'd expect from a top-of-the-class product. The 500mA charger (with power lead cable and micro USB cable) is not exactly powerful, so charging on a PC will take the same time (500mA is the USB standard output), and you'll want to be careful not to plug it into into higher powered outputs (1 to 2A), depending on the voltage regulation inside the camera. Quick guides, the camera itself in a small, sturdy and discardable bag, and that's it! The battery comes with some charge, so you can try your new toy right away, if you wish to.

################### Sample Pictures ###################
The sample pictures I uploaded show the inside of the Revolution Bar at America Square in London (indoor shot, ISO400), the outside during well-lit conditions, a night shot of Shoeburyness East Beach in Essex (10 second long time exposure and some touch up in Adobe RAW) as well as a picture of the O2 Arena from the Thames in London (shot through the window of a boat). The pictures are downsized (and will probably be downsized even more when uploading them to Amazon).

################### The Camera ###################
If you're looking into this kind of camera, you probably already know what to expect - incredibly well manufactured, surprisingly heavy for its weight (but not too heavy), everything where it should be. Hooks for wrist sleeves on both sides of the camera, so both lefties and righties can dangle it from whichever wrist they prefer. All controls are easy to reach, though people with big hands (such as me) will need some training - I can comfortably hold the camera in one hand (without using it, obviously), which makes controlling it with both hands a bit problematic at times. Just needs some training.

The automatic modes on this camera produce amazing pictures, but if you want to shoot anything more complex (say, a long-exposure shot), you really have to look into manual controls - and I had to, given that I'm a bit of a beginner. I am shooting in RAW+JPEG, and it's a bit of a shame that a lot of the shooting modes aren't compatible with RAW - that being said, if you shoot in RAW, you probably do touch-up in Adobe Lightroom or Adobe RAW anyway, so that's not too bad.

The menus are orderly and easy to understand, and the help mode is amazing, giving people that hold a complex digital camera for the first time good indicators on how to shoot in specific situations or for certain effects (like light trails).

The video mode was a bit of a let-down, as it only supports shooting videos in low ISO modes, which can't be changed at all. If you're shooting in daylight, though, the results look great at 1080p50/60. But that's not what I bought the cam for anyway.

The only thing that has truly annoyed me so far is the auto focus, which loves to decide to focus on other things than I do, and manually setting it is a pain. A touch screen with "tap to focus" function would've been greatly appreciated.

################### m2 vs. m3 - Would I do it again? ###################
At this price difference? Yes. Absolutely. The image quality is almost the same, and so far I haven't missed the viewfinder. I'd really love to have the apps and the 180° swivel screen from the m3, but again, the price difference completely makes up for it.

################### Cashback Experience ###################
Just in case it's of interest to you - I bought the camera on the 15th, got it and registered for Cashback right away on the 16th together with my Amazon Invoice. I had the £40 on my account on the 23rd of July. Your mileage may vary.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
10 people found this helpful
on 3 February 2014
This is a great little camera and can give stunning results. It could, however, be improved if the controls were better placed on the body as it is sometimes difficult to avoid inadvertently pressing some of them when taking a photograph. It can also be difficult to hold, and, while Sony do provide a 'stick-on' grip to alleviate this problem, one wonders why such a grip is not incorporated in the design originally. The wrist strap is also non-adjustable which means the strap is always loose about your wrist. Other manufacturers, ie. Fuji, incorporate a plastic slider on their wrist straps, which means their strap is far more secure. These improvements are inexpensive and, I feel, would change a very good camera into an excellent one.
5 people found this helpful