Sony PLAYSTATION 3 Console (80 GB Model)
There is a newer version of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Manufacturer's Description PlayStation 3 brings advanced next-generation technology to home console hardware, realised through the combination of Cell and RSX processors.
With the Giga-bit Ethernet and a pre-installed 80GB Hard Disk Drive (HDD) as standard in PS3, PlayStation 3 gamers will be able to download a variety of contents as well as access on-line games and services over the Playstation Network. Equipped with basic input/output ports, PlayStation 3 supports a broad range of displays from conventional NTSC/PAL standard TVs to the latest full HD (1080i/1080p) flat panel displays, offering PS3 owners the joy of the most advanced computer home entertainment content with the new DualShock 3 Controller as standard.
For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2. With the overwhelming computational power of the Cell processor, PlayStation 3 is capable of playing back content from Blu-ray (BD) disc at a bit rate of multiplex 48Mbps with ease, the maximum bit rate defined in BD standards.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
1. Don't have enough time to play Games (full time teacher and Dad to be)
2. Heard it was very noisy (untrue!)
3. Did I really need it?
I have to say since owning it now for some time, it really is a truly remarkable piece of kit. Why?
1. The Blu Ray is fantastic. - Just make sure you buy the Blu Ray remote as it's difficult to convince your other half you haven't just bought a games console when operating the Blu Ray with a joystick! That's £200 saved on buying a decent Blu Ray player then (stand alone players don't upgrade themselves either unlike the PS3).
2. It has integrated wireless so no wires which is dead easy to set up. Make sure you have your WEP handy
3. There is a full media server inside so you can browse all your photos, music, videos via your router and which ever other computers you have in the house. Very important for justifying it to the wife when the wedding pics come up in all their glory on your flatscreen.
4. Use it as a DVD player and it automatically upscales the DVD to make them look even better.
5. It has a good Internet Browser built in and the BBC are shortly bringing the iPlayer to PS3.
6. It is constantly being updated and improved via tried and tested over the air updates.
7. It looks fantastic. All black and shiny like the monoliths from 2001 a Space Odyssey.
8. Noise? What noise?? A barely audible slight, very distant hum on occasion. The XBox360 Elite sounds like one of those small portable vacuum cleaners and is really annoying in comparison.
9. It offers full 1080p playback via my Panasonic flatscreen and looks incredible as a result.
10.Read more ›
Okay, the answer is I'm blown away, this is the best all round piece of kit that i have ever purchased. The PS3 plays my existing DVD's with better results than my £500 Denon and the quality of Blu-Ray on my Panasonic flat screen is awsome. Looks great, oozes quality, and the wireless, internet, audio and video capabilities are second to none and i'm only just scratching the surface of this machines capabilities, oh and I just might start to play games. Sometimes it's worth listening to the kids.
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Game of the Year Edition)
- Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - Platinum
- Resistance: Fall of Man - Platinum
- The most powerful games console out. I would even say best but that's my opinion
- Blu-ray (Profile 2.0) movie player, for low price, and possibly expandable to future profile versions
- Compared to XBOX 360 Games not limited to ~8.54GB of DVD, but rather 50GB on Blu-ray disk, but these disks may get even bigger.
- Has Adobe Flash Player support, e.g. you can watch videos on YouTube
- Use the PlayStation Store to buy games, add-ons, demo, trailers and even classic PS1 games
- Comes with the DualShock3 PS3 controller which features rumble, rather than the older SixAxis
- Uses less power than the other PS3 models, especially the 60GB PS3s, saving you money on electricity bills
- Free online gaming network, compared to XBOX 360's network
- Supports streaming music, video, photos, etc.Read more ›
The wireless controller is a must, and have a few of these, they come in handy when you have a few people over and saves stepping over wires, so less dangerous.
For what it can do, I feel well worth the price.
Just a pity about the backwards technology that the superior 60gb version has and also the SD card slot, which this version doesn't have either and that is the only fault with this version...shame really
It doesnt come with any games so spent the first few days playing with all the options.
1) Download game demos from PS3 web site, so if your not that into games you can try out loads without the need to ever but any.
2) It has an internet browser built in so you can use it on your TV to browse the internet, tweaking the settings you can get wide screen browser which looks great on a large LCD tv. Note though it is not a full browser - you cant download plugins such as realplayer so you cant use it to watch bbc programs.
3) It plays mp3s - either from the harddrive (you copy from your network) or I plugged in my external hard disk and you can browse to them to play them. I think it also rips audio cds to mp3/atrac as I saw an option for this though I have not tried it.
4) It plays video content, again from harddrive or external disc.
5) has an option to view media server, havent got one so not tried this.
6) Plays DVD and bluray discs.
So if you want to replace your existing dvd player, Id consider buying one of these as it does a whole lot more than play games - though the games Ive tried (Bad Company, Star Wars Force look great).
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Cannot fault this, arrived much faster than expected and works perfectly. Thank you!Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
The order arrived promptly and I am pleased with the quality of the console, however the L1 and L2 buttons of the controller were broken, they were inside of the box not on the... Read morePublished 3 months ago by Layla
This is one of two UK models of Sony's third major version of its PS3 console. The main differences between the two models are the size of storage included (the majority of this... Read morePublished 4 months ago by G.K Reviews
Other than the larger drive it is identical to the older PS3 (Sony Playstation 3 Console (40GB Version)).Published 5 months ago by MrJohnUK