Sony NWZA-15 A Series High-Res Walkman, 16 GB - Black
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- High-resolution audio compatible
- 16 GB internal memory with card slot for expansion
- DSEE HX upscaling restores quality to compressed files
- Clear Audio +/S-Master HX premium audio technologies built in
- Up to 50 hours battery stamina
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Colour Name: Black
Affordable High Resolution Audio on the move
Quick Start Guide
From the manufacturer
Sony 16GB Standard A Series MP3/MP4 Walkman
High-Resolution Audio delivers premium sound
From source to speaker, Sony has united an array of technologies for the ultimate audio experience. For High-Resolution Audio files, the digital amp and specialized tweeters reproduce every subtlety, so you hear each note as the artist intended. For MP3s, digital processing software upscales compressed music to restore lost detail.
S-Master HX Digital Amp for pure sound quality
The built-in S-Master HX Digital Amplifier helps bring out the best of your High-Resolution Audio. It achieves this by reducing the noise levels usually experienced in the high frequency ranges, so you can enjoy clear, sharp sound.
DSEE HX technology upgrades compressed files
DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) technology upgrades the quality of your compressed music files. When an original music source is compressed, you lose the high frequency elements of your music. DSEE HX restores this to produce high quality sound that’s closer to the original CD recording.
Compact and light design
Along with its premium sound, the A10 Series High-Resolution Walkman features a premium look. Its compact, light design means it tucks easily into a pocket or purse, while its diamond-shaped control panel provides a sophisticated accent.
Built-in and expandable memory
Models come with either 16 GB or 64 GB storage built in; boost this with a microSDXC memory card for infinitely expandable playlists.
Made to listen: ClearAudio+
Make your listening as lifelike as possible. ClearAudio+ fine-tunes sound for an immersive, emotionally enriching experience that seems to envelope you. Hear music and lyrics with greater clarity and nuance for an experience that rivals that of a live performance.
Featuring aptX technology for wireless convenience
aptX technology powers the pure, wireless sound behind many of the world’s finest smartphones, speakers, soundbars, headphones and tablets. Now music lovers can enjoy the rich listening experience that only aptX can deliver: convenient wireless sound that doesn’t compromise on audio quality.
Multiple music formats
Whether listening to new files in the premium High-Resolution Audio format or older songs as standard MP3’s, the A10 Series Walkman supports these popular formats for ease and convenience: MP3, WAV, AIFF, WMA, AAC, HE-ACC, FLAC, ALAC.
Seamless streaming with NFC and Bluetooth
Near Field Communication (NFC) and Bluetooth technology remove the need for wired connections and complex set-up. Simply touch your NFC-enabled device to the speaker for a quick, seamless connection, then start streaming your music collection. No NFC? No problem. Connect via Bluetooth and you’re ready to go.
Top customer reviews
- Great sound with all the headphones I've tried. Excellent depth and sound space.
- Nice inteface, does exactly what it's supposed to, without any other guff present on Android and Apple devices.
- Drag and Drop transfer of music, no software required (and you can use it to transfer music between computers).
- Nice form factor, nice leather case available from iGadgitz (also highly reccomended).
- Workflow for ripping music from CD's (via uncompressed rip and .flac encode with EAC) is easy to set up and use.
- Battery Life is stellar, even when playing Hi-Res files.
- MicroSD support, (I added a 128GB card, giving a total of 144GB!).
- Sounds better than my Android Phone, iPad, Sansa Clip etc. when playing regular .mp3 files.
The only con I can see is that the charging/USB cable is non standard and specific to Sony.
I solved this by buying a couple for £2 each from Amazon when I purchased, which are left plugged in at the
various machines I use. Problems solved for a fraction of what an apple charging cable would cost you.
Also not a huge issue as the battery life is so good, you're not hunting for a charge all the time.
Old review of defective unit. Sound not as loud as my older NWZ A828 Walkman, the AVLS is off before you think I am complaining, 2 little blotches behind the glass is an annoyance for a new product. SD Card slot a welcome but no headphones supplied! Probably better off purchasing the £84.99 NWZ on Amazon. Excessive price for what feels a cheaply made player. The upscale just makes the mp3's sound worse.
- Needed Bluetooth support with access to a high-res codec. Explanation: my AKG headphones are able to do AAC or aptX in addition to the standard off-the-shelf (but quite lossy) SBC codec. The AAC codec over Bluetooth (bitrate of about 200kbps) came in handy with the iPhone, which does not and will never support aptX. Sound was very good indeed. With this Sony device, you can switch between SBC and aptX by telling it that you want fidelity over connection stability. The aptX connection requires some 300+kbps thus can be vulnerable to errors caused by greater distances or obstacles, but it is worth it. I can wholeheartedly recommend getting this device and an aptX-compatible headset, as the sound quality is as close to a wired connection as you may be able to get. It is really good. The Walkman will tell you which codec it's using, so it might be worth taking it to a high street shop and test it live.
- Wanted FLAC support. I'm done with having two separate digital collections, one for portable players and one for archival. Now I'm storing and listening to lossless files thanks to this player.
- Wanted expandable storage. You get this with a microSD card slot, which supports up to 256GB - although I have settled for a 128GB card as the bigger ones were prohibitively expensive and I still have to feed two kids. But you and I know that in one, two years at most I shall have my 256GB for peanuts, so that's fine.
I also didn't mind the following:
- there is no Sony substitute for iTunes on a Mac. That's fine, as I did not get along with it anyway.
- the interface/buttons is quite different to contemporary touchy feely devices. I can live with it.
- the screen is not very good. I can't see why anyone would use this as a video player (it does have that option). It is an outstanding audio player though.
- it uses a Sony-specific cable. Not a deal breaker, but it is a tad annoying.
I must say I'm chuffed with my decision to buy this player. It sounds absolutely great. Spotless. It's also very good that all the sound processing shenanigans Sony offers are DAC-specific, and sound is kept untouched until it reaches the aptX encoder - i.e. using equalisers, spatialisers or similar does not have an effect while on wireless. If you connect a wired set (sound is even better through the jack connector of course), you'll have to turn all that stuff off in order to minimise distortion.
Do get the iGadgitz cover as a fellow reviewer has pointed out, as it comes with a handy screen protector.
It knocks spots off of ANY Apple iPod, sound-wise AND transfer-wise.
Awesome bit of technology........I LOVE it!
Positive: sound, clarity of menus, size, display, buttons, battery life, 3rd party covers
negatives: buttons, special connector, putting albums into 'unknown' folder when they were perfectly fine in other players
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews