on 15 July 2017
Bought this for my dad's birthday and he is over the moon with it. The sound quality is superb! Very well made and robust for such a small item. So glad we paid a little extra for such a well made quality product.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 October 2017
Bought this item for my husband he is very happy with it ******
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 January 2003
This MD recorder is the most basic recorder model from sony, comes with headphones,power adaptor & a digital cable.(I did have to buy a cable for £4 to record from my stereo)The LP4 mode means you can get 320 mins on one disk, and the diffrent displays and play modes are handy. It dosn't skip when your moving around which is a vast improvement on cd players + it fits in my pocket which my old cd player never came close to!. if you dont want to pay a fourtune or you dont need a high tech model with features you will never use buy this one, does all you want & need.
on 8 February 2017
I have this model, a blast from the past.
I recently purchased a Japanese imported MPV with a built in Mini Disc player. I purchased this MD portable player to enable me to record playlists from my phone and my record player.
No fancy cables needed, no optical cables needed.

I insert a 3.5mm aux cable in the headphone socket of my phone or record player and the other end in the optical port on the MD portable player, press play on phone/record player and record on the MD portable player and hey presto......
I now have all my LP's on MD for my new imported van.......

A great player, a great recorder, easy to use and battery life is great.

Recommend
on 28 August 2002
This isnt the first MD player I have purchased but it is the best. I tried out the LP4 function (enables 320 minutes on one 74 minute diskette) and was really chuffed. The sound quality through headphones is exactly the same but if you are playing back through a Hi-Fi you can lose a bit of quality it depends on what your taste in music is, generally good quality though.
I got the Red hot chillis-Jimmy Eat World-Green Day and NOFX on one Diskette and theres still over 100 minutes remaining for me to fill up. I think a remote would be handy but ive always had walkmans without remotes so its not too big a problem for me, you can pick these up from anywhere for minimal cost nowadays so it isnt too bad, besides your getting one helluva MD player/recorder for under £150 not bad going by any standards. One feature that was very useful is the shuffle repeat function, it sifts through all four of the albums I put on giving me a mixture of moods and music to listen to on those boring train journeys into and out of work. If your going to buy a MD player you cant go wrong with this one.
on 15 June 2012
I purchased this product over 16 years ago and have not used for the past 8 years as I have recently just found it in the garage
Fitted a new battery and plays just as good as the day I bought it
Well done Sony excellent clear sound cannot recommend highly enough
on 12 March 2003
MZ-R501
Overall very good MD player
Advantages - Very Compact
- Looks great
- Very Very Very Very Long battery life (40 hours + of play back time off one AA battery!)
- Sounds good, clear
- MDLP4 allows 5 hours of music on one disc
- Quality drop, but you can live with it
Disadvantages - not back light display
- no remote control (not really necessary though)
- Random play on 5 hour disc will not remember the tracks already played so may randomly select the same track several times before play other tracks on the disc for the first time, - (just small things, really picking to get them)
Still what other MD player can give you 40 hours plus off one battery, awesome!
on 18 March 2012
At last - I can donate my Sony midi-stacvk system to the charity shop, thereby making space in my small flat! No longer needing the CD player or radio (all on ipod), I only kept it for thr mini-disk player. Great to have been able to buy a new, small mini-disk player; now I can play the dozen or so compilation disks I made a number of years ago. Purchase arrived earlier than I had expected and was in perfect order.
on 15 June 2002
I recently bought this model in a blue colour, the blue gives it a more attractable colour. when i got it home i was disappointed that I had to purchase some cables to record from my hi-fi, but it was only £5.00, so wasn't much. LP4 is great and I dont belive it sounds too much different, pretty much the same, the bass is brilliant. Besides having to buy a cable, I also found that a remote would have been handy, so I purchased one, which makes a lot of different if you are on the move.The battery life is also very good, 44 hours may not seem long compared to other model's, but it does last long. Overall I am happy with this product and would advise any new mini disk buyer to purchase one.
on 8 August 2013
As anticipated, this is a quality product, built to the standard one expects
from Sony.

I have several other MiniDisc recorders, but I like the simplicity of this
slightly less sophisticated model. They all have that "last forever" feel to them,
and I certainly hope that this proves to be true as buying a replacement will
become ever more difficult as time goes by.