on 31 July 2013
I like to think of myself as a bit of an "Audiophile" My music HAS to sound good. My DJ speakers are FBT (at around £2000 a pair), my home speakers are Bose Acoustimass, and my headphones are Sony MDR-XB400. Yes, you read that right. Make no mistake, these Headphones are INCREDIBLE, and I don't even have to add "for the money" in that statement. I found these by complete chance in my local TK MAXX store at a mere £34.99. I'll be honest it was the Green and Grey colour combination which caught my eye, and I thought "I could do with some new DJ headphones" so went ahead and bought them.

I would have to say that my musical taste is eclectic to say the least. I listen to an awful lot of classical music, jazz, House, Drum and Bass, and these headphones do not disappoint on any level. The clarity and separation on softer passages are a delight, and when you turn them up, you're in for a real treat with the Bass response.

I actually carried out a side by side test with a Pair of Beats Solo Headphones (which I must stress are OVER 4 TIMES THE PRICE you can pick these up for) and was very pleasantly surprised to report extremely little difference in quality. It is a different type of sound, but I can honestly say they are on a par with each other.

In summary, if you want to go out and spend £150+ on the headphones which are "the in thing", look good, and are probably far more likely to catch a thief's eye, by all means buy a pair of Beats by Dre, however if you want to buy a quality pair of headphones which not only look good, but sound incredible, I can honestly say you will not be disappointed with these.

If I have to be hyper critical, the lead length of 1.2m may be a little restrictive if you are DJ'ing, but if you are simply looking for headphones to plug into your mobile device . . . . . I STRONGLY advise you to sign on the dotted line :)
1111 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2013
I love these headphones as the sound is great and they are so comfortable!

The only negative thing I could think of is maybe the lead is a little short.

Easy 5 Stars!
on 15 October 2013
This was an impulsive buy. And I only bought it because my friend showed it to me, and I simply fell in love with it. Sleek looks, soft on the ears, and huge headphones that completely covers my head and cancels out most of the ambient noise. I have been using this for around a month now and the music is just awesome. This is best for listening to thumping beats.
For those who complained about the XB400 not good for anything else apart from bass, here's my suggestion. Use an equalizer. I use the free 'Music Volume EQ' app on my Android. This way you can compensate for bass, and get good treble too. I have listened to subliminal meditation tracks and they are more audible than on my previous headphone.
The headphones are so light that I have worn them for upto an hour, and I haven't felt any weight either over my head or against my ears. The ear cushions are the best that I have used. Extremely comfortable.
Another thing is the tangle-free cord. Like the name says, it never gets tangled, because of the ribbon like shape as against the common circular cross-section shape.
Overall, an excellent value for money at the price. Go for it.
on 18 January 2013
Got these for my dads Xmas as he travels long distances to go to work and has had in ear head phones which are good but these are great, the sound is great and no noise leaking out!
on 4 January 2013
Bassheads dream. Forget overpriced solos. These are like Dr Whos tardis. Look small,but pack an awesome punchy bass. Mids are there,but light. Highs are refined but not piercing. Adjust your bass DOWN a little on your music source and their just bliss! Turn up the volume and they wont distort either. They are also the most comfortable cans ive ever worn. They dont grip your head like a vice and ive kept them on for 4hrs without any discomfort. They do leak a little on sound when you crank up the volume,but minor detail. I love them so much,ive treated them to a hard case to protect them! Shop around. They can be had for as little as £20. Pocket money.
on 13 July 2013
These headphones punch well above their price bracket. With the high street price at around £50 the £35 online price is a steal. They're stylish, light, very comfortable and provide the best insulation from exterior sound I've ever experienced in a pair of non-noise cancelling over ear phones. This is partly due to the use of memory foam in the ear pads. The build quality is perfectly adequate for domestic use but they probably wouldn't withstand a great deal of punishment on the road DJing or gigging. The phones are designed to fold flat for neat low space storage or transportation. Now to the sound quality - it's quite superb and exceeds many headphones costing more than twice the price (I exaggerate not). The frequency response is smooth and non-laboured across the range and the bass response is simply phenomenal; reflecting the 8Hz spec on the box. But at no time do they tire the ears even after extended listening. They also perform well across a range of musical genres from Drum & Bass to Classical; each delivering impressive sonorous bass and tack sharp treble responses. In fact I'm struggling to find fault with these headphones. They've received a good press and justifiably so. I'd get your pair while they're still available at this gift of a price!
on 12 April 2016
I have owned a pair of these for what - 4-5 years?- I bought them back when HMV was closing a ton of stores and selling much of their stock at stupidly reduced prices. Think I got these in January of 2011 or perhaps jan 2012. Regardless, I can report they are the best pair of cans I have ever used as well as the longest-lasting. Top quality construction, after all these years the cable was perfect, everything was perfect. USed them for everything from clasical music to gaming to amsr videos to watch movies on my laptop or ipad, to listen to podcasts whilst at work (I'm a gallery assistant, don't judge me, it gets lonely in wintertime )

I preferred them to my gf's Marley's "Jammin'" cans which produced great sound but were very uncofortable to wear (and also less durable. In the same 5 years period she's had 2 marleys and now a set of monster cans allegedly worth 99 quid but which were reduced to 29.99 this MArch ). I also prefer them to the dr.dre beats solo which are much more expensive but quality-wise are about the sane both in durability and sound and I think these look a lot better.

Only cons for me is that they have a rigid head piece which does not fold or move, so really not ideal for sleeping with them (this said, I have done it plenty of times).

So now all I can do is cry because I left them on an Uber car :( stupid me. Will I buy them again? Seriously tempted but I am also considering going bluetooth.
on 21 January 2013
Very good performance, lightweight and excellent value.
Base reproduction is excellent
1.2m cable is too short. 2m would be better
on 9 May 2015
These headphones are fantastic.

If you want something that sounds great and you are on a tight budget (and don't care so much about design and built quality), then these are certainly the headphones for you.

In terms of comfort they are very good. Only after listening for about 3 hours straight do you get any kind of aching in the ears. This is helped by the fact that they sit on your ears rather than cupping them (though this does sacrifice ambient noise reduction and noise leakage).

Sound quality. The 'extra bass' really delivers, although I have used these bins to listen to all genres of music over the years (I'm listening to some jazz as I write). The mids sound full and the highs are crisp despite the powerful bass.

The build quality is average, of course for this money it is a sturdy plastic build that doesn't feel very premium (but then you wouldn't expect it to).

Overall, these are an excellent pair of headphones. If you are thinking about buying Beats but don't want to spend that much, do yourself a favour and don't follow the trend. Buy these, or one Sony's higher end headphones that will offer you MUCH better bang for your buck.

40 quid for this sound is a serious bargain. Go for it
on 8 March 2013
Love the headphone better than beats audio and I have some people are wasting their money buying beats headphone, to get a good headphones you don't need to spend alot to get them.