• Customer reviews

on 5 February 2012
I had a next day delivery from In2Ddigital. Opening the box I found it came with a European 2 pin plug moulded onto the psu, so obviously not intended for the UK market. No problem at all for me, but most UK residents will need to convert it to the UK 3 pin plug. You get a stylish base unit, and cool headphones, plus instructions in 15 languages! Also Sony supply a 1.5 metre optical cable, it's thin but it works perfectly. Connectivity is simple, just connect the optical cable to the unit, and the other end to any device with an optical output. Connect an analogue audio cable to listen to an FM tuner etc. You select the source on the base unit. I have connected mine to the optical & analogue outputs on my Sony AV amp, so I can switch between sources without unplugging the cable.

The headphones are extremely comfortable. They don't sit very tightly on your head though, and could be dislodged by rapid head movement up & down. Gamers may possibly have a problem with keeping them on, or maybe my head is just too small! (I am over 6ft tall though) The on/off switch and volume are well placed on the right earphone, the volume is easy to operate when wearing the headphones. So, how do they sound? Well, superb audio quality from deep bass up to the highest treble, they are crystal clear with no distortion, even if you turn the volume up high, and believe me, these play LOUD . They block out quite a lot of external noise, and there is not much sound "leakage" so other people nearby are unlikely to be disturbed.

The virtual surround sound works really well. I tested them by playing BBC HD's test pattern which is broadcast in Dolby Digital and in turn fires up 5 speakers + LFE. You really can hear the different sound from front and rear speakers replicated in the headphones. The rear channels info is less well defined than when listening to physical speakers via my AV amp, but I doubt if any virtual surround headphones could possibly do better.

Surround sound is available when the base unit is set to Cinema or Game, and here is one of my niggles, because in cinema mode a sound "field" is applied which replicates how the audio would sound in a movie theatre, and you cannot turn it off! If you are a fan of the "hall" effect then you will love how this sounds, but to me the spoken dialogue sounds unnatural. In Game mode the effect is less noticeable, although the audio is less crisp with the top end sounding a little more subdued. When watching TV with mainly spoken dialogue, i.e,no surround info anyway, I prefer to switch to the stereo mode, or "off".

The transmission range is, in theory, up to 100m. Well, I live in a 2 bedroom bungalow with plasterboard interior walls. The base unit sits on a wooden table at the front of the house, and there is no dropout in any other rooms, but as soon as it needs to pass through the brick wall at the rear of the house, the signal drops out, so I can't use it in my back yard unless I keep my head in line with a window. The distance from transmitter to outside the rear wall of the house is approx 20 metres. Moving the transmitter slightly makes no difference, so that rules out wearing the headphones while gardening! The signal does pass through the front & side brick walls, less distance of course.

I would have given this 5 stars except for the range issue & the lack of user control over the audio effects but overall I am very pleased with my purchase. There are less expensive devices available but I am not sure if anything else can match this product for quality & features.
22 people found this helpful
|55 Comments|Report abuse
on 8 February 2015
Had these a few weeks now and I do like them but they're not without their faults. The sound is fantastic and the reason why I rated it 4. There are problems which you should be aware of before you spend this amount of money. First of all if you're hoping these will block out background noise then you'll be very disappointed. It doesn't block any in fact my £17 Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones blocked out more background noise than these. They also get warm pretty quick which can be a little uncomfortable at times. Mine got warm after about 10mins. Which means you might be taking them off to let some air to your ears. If you can live with them faults then these are a good set of headphones.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 9 January 2014
This German supplier included a mains adaptor for UK plug sockets.
Very good value.
Took it out of the box, plugged it in, connected an optical cable from the transmitter to our Virgin Media Tivo Box, turned up the volume on the headphones - and it just worked.
No conflict with the other two wireless networks in the room.
Used a much better quality optical cable than the one supplied, which looks pretty cheap though another reviewer said the sound was fine using it.
We wanted the headphones so that one of us can watch TV without driving the other from the room, and so the neighbours are not disturbed in the night if one of us is awake and watching TV. This works perfectly because there is NO sound leakage.
Comfortable to wear, though my husband has a wide head so for perfection a width adjustment on the top would have been available.
Sound quality excellent. Connected to the Tivo Box we leave it on 'Cinema' mode all the time, which delivers very clear speech whilst also doing the 3D sound stuff when it can.
2 people found this helpful
on 4 August 2013
I was not disappointed with these headphones, great sound quality, and just what I required for late night viewing or listening to music without disturbing others, with sound quality that matches my receiver amp.
6 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2014
If a conventional surround sound system is not feasible then this is the answer but make sure the player has an optical connection as the unit does not have a coax socket.
Performance & sound quality are par for the price point with film sound tracks as for music of any type on CD I have not yet tried them but the soundtrack from Amadeus on Blu ray really does sound wonderful.
on 17 January 2014
It's almost perfect. I had doubts at first, but you are going to be blown away. The care Sony has put in producing this is first revealed when you open the box. It's packed and wrap with such care and delicacy as if it's a nuclear bomb. The setup is quite easy, and after a couple of hours charging for the first time, you are ready to go. The piece nestles on your ears quite comfortably. It has a dial on it to control the volume. Then you can feel you have a small home cinema connected to ears while the rest of the family can sleep.
on 10 September 2013
Very pleased with the purchase. Haven't had the chance to use them as much as i would like but watched TRON Leagacy with them and it definately enhanced the viewing. If you want to turn up the noise without annoying your significant other or the neighbours they are great. Only down side was that I didn't realise they came with a european plug, but an adapter was provided.
One person found this helpful
on 15 August 2014
Good buy. excellent bass and treble notes. the Dolby is super and one could be led to think that one is in the movie theatre. Super buy would recommend to anyone with a good ear for music
on 11 June 2014
Initially they worked very well and I was pleased with them, in fact I was thrilled. However, on only the 3rd or 4th time of use they simply stopped working whilst I was wearing them. I followed all the trouble shooting guides but nothing worked . I have returned them to the supplier.Six weeks later I am still waiting for a replacement or refund.
One person found this helpful
on 17 January 2014
Slight echo sometimes, otherwise perfect. No more arguments about the TV volume. Worried about the price but expectations met, happy.