on 29 April 2013
I needed a pair of headphones for mutiple uses at home (Laptop/Drum-Kit/TV), but mostly music.

I had quickly heard a pair in Black in a well known retail store, and thought I'd try a pair at home properly when I saw them in Silver.

They come in a nice presentation box (although mine had suffered too much damage in posting to warrant keeping, so set was sent back), with 2x cables (detachable from the left side can). One has in-line mic/controls, the other is straight-through. And a pull cord bag for portable use.

Sound wise:

These headphones have a fantastic mid-range and upper-bass area. I makes music drive along with pace and punch and authority with lovely addictive timimg. I tried these up against Beyer 770 (600), Philips X1's, Sennheiser HD598's, AT-ATHA550X's, Soundmagic HP100's and they beat all of these for mid-range drive.

Since pretty much most of the vocal/instrumentation occurs in the mid-range, this makes for a very pleasing listen to modern rock/pop/dance in fact anything other than large scale orchestral or Hip-Hop is really good.

But is has 2 weaknesses.

1. The Bass, is very Punchy (which is a great quality), but could use a bit more extension down deep and you do miss it on odd tracks and orchestral works.

2. They do occasionally reveal sibilance in the top end, albeit it very mild and not something overly noticed.

This means a 4 rather than 5 stars.

That said, they had fairly good sound isolation and, in my opinion, great looks in Silver/Brown. They are also very, very comfortable (some of the best comfort Cans I've had), and fold flat. So, for a stylish pair for outdoor/indoor use, with anything modern/chart (which is clearly Sony's target audience), these are cracking pair of Cans that will put smiles on a lot of faces. And if you fit that audience, then call it 5 Stars.
on 1 November 2012
Build quality is impressive, has that quality feel about them without being heavy, are very light on your head and supremely comfortable.

They are a slightly dark sounding headphone, on the bassy side of neutral, with an emphasis on mid bass with the sub bass region somewhat rolled off. Very good instrument separation with an above average soundstage for a closed headphone, vocals aren't in your face forward, and treble has a nice sparkle without sounding sibilant.

These are very easy to drive, getting nice and loud running them from an HTC HD2 smartphone, Google Nexus 7 tablet and a Cowon J3 PMP.

All in all they are a very musical headphone that you can plug into anything and get plenty loud, a pleasure to listen to.
The Sony MDR-1R Ultimate are the entry level of the Lifestyle Series Headphones with the MDR-1RNC being noise cancelling version and the MDR-10RBT sporting Bluetooth and NFC or wired.

The MDR-1R look very stylish, and delivery great sound quality, albeit might not appeal to all. The set seems to be targeted at people on the move demanding lightweight, portable and and great looking over ear headsets.

Sound is crisp and will please most, yet these are no studio headphones. Whilst the sound is very pleasing and relaxing, with an emphasis on the mid tones, separation is not their forte. I find the Sennheiser Momentum sound better, with punchier bass whilst retaining loads of detail. Build quality is superior too.

I like the fact that you can remove the cable, and whilst it is not coiled, it still does not tangle easily. Yet the connection to the headset itself feels a tad flimsy, as it does not offer a very convincing, secure connection. With time I did find that I was getting scratching noises when I rotated the connector.

I do find that the MDR-1R are slightly overpriced when considering the plastic build and the similarly priced yet superior Sennheiser Momentum. However, if you are looking for a very comfortable set which you could wear all day, delivering good sound quality than probably these headphones should be on your short-list.
on 19 March 2013
These are the best headphones I have ever owned. I went Into Sony shop to try these out, to hear the quality against the others in the range. I have owned a pair of Sony 1700's for 20 years. They are still going strong, but just can't handle the bass from the DubStep I now love to listen to. After unsuccessful purchase of pioneer headphones for Christmas, I was by fussy on making sure I find the right ones this time. These were £299 in the Sony shop. I was worried that these could be fake at this lower price. However having had them for a week, and listened at volume to all kinds of music I can happily say they perform as they should. They are everything you should expect from this quality of product.
They are crisp and clean on the top end, without fatiguing ones ears. The mid is warm and pleasant, and the bass is low deep warm and round. The whole sound is well balanced and a joy to listen to over all the wide genres of music I listen to. I am. DJ and will use these heavily. I fully expect them to last the 20 years my last £200 pair of Sony 1700's did. I also use Sony MDR-EX300iP for my iPhone and iPad which I can highly recommend.
All my headphones are Sony, and when I have tried to buy cheaper, supposedly equal in quality headphones, I have been sorely disappointed.
I know you will be happy with these if you are an audiophile like me!
on 2 November 2012

44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2014
I wrestled over buying these and kept coming back and looking at them, however being reduced to £87 and having such fantastic reviews I couldn't really turn them down. As I understand it these were £299 when launched so represent good value. They have thought through lots of issues and having separate cables for iPhone and non iPhone is a bonus, plus if you break a cable you can replace it without opening the headphones.

They ooze quality when you take them out of their plush lined box and the non tangle matching coloured cable is a nice touch. The sound is fantastic, although I am yet to try them on a plane as they are intended for. So far I am very impressed and hope I will still be impressed in a few years time, but so far so good.
on 10 February 2015
Researched headset for months before deciding to buy these, and I am so happy I did. The sound quality is AMAZING. If you are like me, and want the very best, this headset is definitely the thing for you. I listen to a lot of rock and metal, and the sound is truly impressive, works so well for the relaxed indie music as well. They are so comfortable to wear, it's almost like not wearing anything as they don't feel tight on your head.
Overall, by far the best headset I've ever had.
This is the second set of premium headphones I've had the privilege to experience recently - I bought my father a set of Sennheiser Momentums which I've also reviewed on Amazon. These Sony MDR-1Rs reek of quality in terms of presentation, construction and performance. As I see it these are the pros and cons of these high end cans -

Pros

- The presentation and construction are first class - the MDR-1Rs come in a book type case and are beautifully engineered. They have the same sort of understated styling that an Audi or Mercedes has. All the metalwork, joints, cables and earcups are finished to the highest standard.

- Included in the box is a stylish carry pouch and two, non-tangle cables - one with a remote for iPhone use, the other a shorter length for other devices - that can be plugged in to the side of the left earcup.

- The comfort and fit of these headphones is very good, and it seems more than chance as two friends have tried them too and think the same. They are light plus there is a wide range of adjustment and the "cans" don't need to press into your head to achieve a good acoustic seal which doesn't leak sound to the outside world. In addition, the headband is very well padded and you can wear these headphones for long periods without fatigue.

- The sound quality is stunning. The treble/mid-range is very distinct and agile whilst the bass is quite pronounced but still remains natural. Also, the sound stage seems really wide - with some closed back headphones the stage is inclined to sound a bit narrow. That is not at all the case with these Sony MDR-1Rs that were developed in direct consultation with pop musicians. Singer songwriter Katy B and Magnetic Man joined evaluation sessions with chief mastering engineer Naweed Ahmed of Whitfield Mastering to produce these cans.

Cons

- Some sound seems to get in when on the move, although, as mentioned above there is little leakage from inside the phones.
- The headband doesn't fold although the earpieces do fold flat.
- The MDR-1Rs are not as neutral as the Sennheiser Momentums - there's certainly an emphasis on bass (but then that reflects a lot of contemporary music).

Overall, these Sony headphones really do deliver an excellent sound and are very comfortable to use either at home or on the move. I don't think you'll experience listening fatigue as a result of the fit or audio quality of these phones. Also, their construction suggests they'll last a long time and survive the rough and tumble of life on the move. In my opinion these Sony MDR-1Rs fully justify their price tag. Recommended.

(There are noise cancelling (MDR-1RNC) and Bluetooth (MDR-1RBT) variants of these MDR-1R headphones available too).
on 14 March 2014
This item arrived promptly, and what a pair of headphones. I all ready had a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones which are great but these are different class. Sounds are great, the power is brilliant, clear when loud and I would highly recommend these to anyone who loves their music.
on 20 February 2015
Hearing new sounds. Do not realise how loud these can go - The clarify is up there all the way, its only when you take them off and realise "wow, everyone can hear this as clearly as I can" that I also thought "my ears are gonna be screwed if I use these often". A seriously quality product, and I've had Sennheister HD555's for about ten years now. These Sony's are better!