on 15 May 2015
UPDATE: 07-OCT-2015

A few weeks ago, two vertical striped 'shadows' now appear down the left hand side of the screen in dark scenes. It's a uniformity issue and it's getting worse. I'm just tired of quality issues with Sony sets and now wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

I've only had the TV a couple of days, and it's the best TV over 30" in size that I've ever come across for gaming. You get full RGB colours (remember to set this on the console to take full advantage), and the colour reproduction itself is amazing (blacks are so black that it appears to be switched off when the screen is black). Input lag and response times are low, there is no ghosting whatsoever and motion blur is barely existent. The Bravia Link features are great for PS3 and PS4 integration. You can control the XMB with the TV remote control for example, and when you switch the TV off, the console will switch off as well.

Edit: I wrote this review days ago but just want to add to the above paragraph. I discovered the website 'testufo' which allows you to run motion checks on your TV or monitor. This Sony TV actually beats my 24" Samsung monitor that I assumed would be superior because it wasn't cheap and was specifically designed for computer use. The Sony TV fares better in every. single. test. and I'm completely blown away. Anyway... back to my original review text...

If only I could be so positive about the smart aspect of the TV. It has the same shortcomings as almost every other smart TV on the market, in that it doesn't have all of the essential catchup services. BBC iPlayer and 5 OnDemand are there, but there is no sign of ITV Player or 4OD. You can't login to the Twitter and Google (YouTube, etc.) apps if you have 2-step verification enabled, a quick search reveals this problem has ALWAYS existed and Sony simply haven't bothered to fix the apps. Worse, I see messages from Sony support staff on their forum dated September 2014 telling people to disable 2-step verification in order to use them. Unacceptable. People should not have to reduce security on their accounts just to make apps work on a not-so-smart TV. These things should have been fixed long ago.

Then there are features which simply don't work anyway. There's a 'social view' button on the remote for example that lets you view program related Tweets when watching TV shows - but 90% of the time it doesn't work. Despite pressing the button dozens of times in the past two days, I've got the feature working twice - very briefly. There is also a feature on the discover menu allowing you to see what your friends are watching. Click the button however, and you'll get a message saying "this service has been discontinued".

So yeah, to conclude: It's a fantastic TV for gaming, but yet another reminder that established TV manufacturers can't be trusted to make internet enabled TVs. If it was possible to get a non-Smart version of this set (I don't think you can), that and an Amazon Fire or Google TV box would be a far superior 'smart' TV solution.
77 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 November 2014
TV screen cracked, box damaged - looks like it;s been dropped or thrown around. TV is definitely not NEW as stated and looks like an ex-display model - stickers falling.

Sending back for full refund but can't believe Amazon will only refund a small amount towards return courier charges. Extremely unhappy customer and will not be purchasing TVs from Amazon again.
review image
88 Comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 September 2014
Bedroom TV.

I purchased this TV for a couple of reasons, the main reason being - iPlayer is no longer supported and stopped working on my bedroom Sony Blu-ray player (BDPS-570) and my existing 2007 KDL-32D3000 not having any SMART capabilities at all left me needing a bedroom upgrade!

The TV itself is very well made, a small aluminium bezel around the edges give the impression the screen is actually bigger than it is, a very modern look. The power supply is from a block type transformer and the lead to it from the mains plug is quite short - luckily I had a longer replacement and that meant I was able to place the TV on top of a chest of drawers and plug the mains lead on to a trailing socket on the floor - sitting the block behind the TV. It would have pulled the lead out of the back of the TV had I left the block dangling down to the floor.

The picture is a big improvement on my 2007 model, its very clear and the colours are vibrant. HD channels really stand out and the motion seems a lot smoother. The screen is also no reflective which helps if its placed near a window or any other light source.

I used an Ethernet cable to give it internet access and set it an IP reservation on my router, it then went off and found a software update which downloaded and installed smoothly. The whole process took about 15 mins to set the TV up, and all you need is a cross head screwdriver to set the legs and stand up. It also comes with a wall bracket if you want to wall mount it.

I was quite impressed by the TV until it came to setting the sound up, I just can't get it to sound 'good'. I've tried many settings - and there are a lot of sound settings - but it always ends up sounding a bit tinny and hollow. You can get bass from the equaliser settings but it always just ends up sounding 'ok'. There's even settings to change from wall mounted to table top but I can't find a happy medium. If anyone reading this review is able to get theirs sounding good without having to purchase a subwoofer or a sound bar, please let me know your settings! My old 32D300 was really good for sound without having to play with any settings, this new TV isn't a patch on it. I should have know better I suppose, a lot of the reviews did mention this. My bad!

One other little niggle is the sleep timer. If you are viewing a external source such as a Freesat Box, you can use the sleep timer as usual, set it up from the remote and just fall to sleep. However, if you are watching anything from a Sony Blu Ray/USB key or streaming and want to set it up, you have to select another source first, set the timer up and then return to your content as the remote button fails to bring the sleep timer up on the screen. Annoying!

The SMART services are ok a little slow even with a very fast internet connection, but again still no ITV Player or 4OD unlike the new Samsung range.

You select the APPs you want and add them to your own list, Amazon Prime Instant Video is on there and does work well, and in fact the remote control has a separate NETFLIX button which is quite useful.

There is a built in Freesat box and satellite connecter next to the normal aerial plug but I'm yet to try it out - I still have a trusty Humax Freesat HD box for now.

I'll keep this TV for the bedroom (and have to keep fiddling trying to find a decent sound), but I'll definitely be looking at other brands in the future before committing to buy - Sony are no longer the top brand they used to be - in my opinion - they seem to be getting left behind by others.

From what should have been a 5 star product, I've removed 1 star for the sound quality and another for the niggles like the sleep timer, lack of ITV Player & 4OD and short mains cable.

I've had this TV for a couple of weeks now, and after many calls to Sony regarding the sound quality - the only help they can offer is to recommend I return the TV and try a different Sony model. Not what I'd expect Sony, shame on you!

Anyhow, I decided to keep the TV as the picture is great and some of the features are useful, so I invested in a Denon DHT-T100 soundbase rather than buy anything else Sony as they'd disappointed me with their customer support and I didn't like any of their sound bars. The TV now has great sound to go along with the great picture, the Denon sat under the TV looks good and you can't see any cables which pleased my wife. You can train the Denon to accept volume controls from the Sony TV remote easily, but once you set the audio output on the Bravia to Audio System, you'll keep getting a "TV Volume is fixed" warning message every time you adjust the volume - quite annoying if you watch a subtitled foreign film. Sony need to have a setting in the menu's to disable this message as its quite a common issue on A/V forums.

If I find a fix I'll update this review.
77 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 September 2014
This TV - also available in silver - looks and feels as well engineered as you would expect when you buy from Sony. Apart from its jutting booty, it's as compact as a 32-incher can be, and is easy to attach to its minimalist stand - assembly is a one-person job requiring nothing more challenging than inserting four cross-headed screws. (The holes on the TV into which the screws need to go are those in deep, almost square recesses.) A wall mounting kit is included too, though this TV is probably not the most wall-friendly on the market.

Power is supplied via a laptop-style transformer. Sockets include a satellite input, Ethernet, a two-way Scart, component video RCA inputs, stereo audio RCA inputs, four HDMI inputs (one with ARC), a USB input, a headphone minijack, an optical audio output (supplying either PCM or Dolby Digital) and a USB output for attaching a hard disc drive recorder. You also get a slot for an access card, Bluetooth and sensitive dongle-free WiFi - in a road of detached bungalows, my set detected three of my neighbours' routers as well as my own.

Automatic tuning is quick and free from glitches. I picked up a hundred and twenty-three services with an unamplified indoor antenna only two feet above the ground. If you want to swap SD channels with their HD counterparts, the renumbering process is straightforward.

The picture quality is, I think, as good as I've ever seen. The matt surface of the screen minimizes reflections, and there are none of the backlight irregularities that LED LCD displays are prone to. Contrast is vivid, detail exquisite, colour natural, movement flawless. I've read two expert reviews which said that careful calibration can tweak the picture to something very close to perfection. If you can't be bothered to spend an hour with a Blu-ray test disc, I've found that the TV's Cinema 1 preset with colour turned down from 50 to 40 is pretty satisfactory. (The picture should not, of course, be viewed from a point significantly off-axis if it's to be enjoyed at its best.)

The audio, sadly, is another matter entirely. Tinny and sibilant, it's completely outclassed by the sound that I get from the portable radio sitting on top of my fridge (though that, admittedly, is the superb Ruark Audio R1-WALNUT Dab/FM Radio In Rich Walnut Veneer). Perhaps only Loewe and Bang & Olufsen make small TVs with decent loudspeakers. My 84 year old Mum, for whom I bought the 705, thinks that its sound is perfectly adequate, but for my part, I wouldn't use this TV without connecting it to an external audio system. My five star rating assumes that the TV is used in this way.

The remote control (supplied with two AAA batteries) is ergonomically pleasant, with well arranged, well spaced buttons that have a nice positive action. When you turn the TV on, it takes roughly half a minute for the set to wake up and respond to the zapper's commands. A dimmable LED beneath the screen winks or changes colour to acknowledge your instructions.

The user interface is intelligently designed and easy to get the hang of. The TV's multilingual paper manual covers little more than installation, but a fully indexed on-screen supplement is well organized and lucidly written.

This is, of course, a smart TV, and its apps are many and various. The most valuable are probably a web browser, Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer and Demand5. (The catch-up apps for ITV and Channel 4 are omitted; anyone insisting on these might consider the much praised Samsung Series 6 H6410 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D LED Smart TV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Freeview HD). Unfortunately Sony doesn't offer an alternative remote with a full Qwerty keypad, so tapping in your wishes needs more than a little patience. Of course, there's always the option of using the 705 as a display for your computer - the TV offers WiFi Direct if your laptop can support it.

Easier to use is the TV's recording capability. Add an HDD - I chose Sony 1TB 2.5 inch Portable External Hard Drive - Silver - and you have cheap, convenient, single-tuner time-shifting at your finger tips, and without a horrible mess of cable spaghetti. You can either programme a recording from the TV's Freeview guide, or record what you're watching with a single button on the remote. It's also possible to record on a tape machine using the output from the Scart socket.

To sum up, I think that this is an exceptionally good set of its kind. Viewed head-on and connected to a Blu-ray player and a decent audio system, it could be the heart of a very good small 2D High Definition home cinema. I bought mine from John Lewis, who charged me £358.95, inclusive of a 5-year warranty and delivery before 10:30 a.m. the following day. (Sadly John Lewis's offer to dispose of customers' old tellies doesn't extend to purchasers of this particular model.)
66 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 February 2014
Wow! I have bought a lot of televisions in my life, and this one has simply blown me away. I've only had it for a day, so it's hard to comment on every nuance and aspect of it, but I've already pretty much got under the skin of it, and it is very intuitive.

It's beautifully designed, amazingly thin bezel and body, and picture that almost looks like HD when it's standard broadcast, a wonderful sleek modern menu system, really easy to connect to WIFI and locked on to the signal well enough to play Catchup TV, even though we have a very lowly 1.6 Mbps broadband connection.

The whole styling is out of this world, and it just seems to do all you expect it would, without any disappointment I have found so far.

The only main thing I've not tried yet, is HDD recording, which I'll be interested to see how it's implemented.

Just one thing I would have liked, but I'm hoping I can download those APPS, is that by default, 4DO and ITV Catchup APPS don't seem to have been included in the APPS screen. My very new Samsung Smart TV downstairs had those by default, so I'm hoping I can somehow download them.

Oh, and it connected to my DLNA media servers, (miles away in the house) and found all the content on those, and when a different PC booted up downstairs, it found that too - as a DLNA server.

It is simply stunning, and I would not hesitate to recommend on the basis of my short time with it. You won't regret it!
66 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 April 2014
This a review of the 32" w705. It is a very elegant looking TV with its ultra slim matte black bezel.

One issue is that there are no Vesa compliant mounting screw holes on the back to enable you to mount it directly on a swing arm wall-bracket. A custom made Vesa adaptor is available separately. Mounting the TV on the wall with the supplied stand/wall-mount results in the screen sitting fully 11 cms away from the wall.
The picture loses sharpness and contrast markedly the more of an angle you view the TV from. Hence, if it is on a wall and you are not perpendicular to the TV, you might want it on a swivel type mount.

Sony have separated the mains transformer from the TV body. Strangely. The length of cable from the transformer to the TV is just 140cms.

A soundbar or similar external speaker will improve the somewhat thin sound, but that goes for all slimline TV's.

There seems to be a 30 second or more lag from after the TV is turned on until one can change channels. Has anyone else noticed this?
66 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 June 2014
This was purchased from Amazon, but not by me.

'Don't get him started about flat panel televisions' is a commonly heard phrase in my house. As someone lucky enough to have seen the stunning picture on Sony's Trinitron H.D. C.R.T. TV (which, fair enough, weighed, er, let's just say a lot) this means that my opinion of flat panel televisions is not high. A collection of unhappy compromises is probably the fairest I can be.

Sadly, the day had to come when my dear old Sony Trinitron began to fade. Ah, many's the time when my flat-paneled friends would come round to watch the football because the motion blur on their swanky (I added the s) new televisions did their heads in. Anyway, the review:

I'm a Sony kinda guy, and have been for decades, so when the day came to get a new television they were always going to be my first choice. I didn't want a massive screen, but I did want a television with the best H.D. picture that I could get from a 32 inch screen; the Sony KDL-32W705B is it.

Out of the box, the H.D. picture was good and the S.D. picture was terrible, but having seen and helped friends set up their new TVs, this was not unexpected, and as I would be calibrating it anyway, didn't worry me. After calibration the H.D. picture was excellent and the S.D. picture was more than acceptable. For technical reasons, it's impossible to get a very good S.D. broadcast picture on a full H.D. television.

The screen handles the H.D. signal from a Blu-ray player extremely well, displaying a crisp, clear, and detail rich picture, with only the tiniest amount of motion blur in fast action scenes. Watching the World Cup on the Freeview H.D. channels again produced an excellent picture, with only very small amounts of motion blur coming from the ball when it was traveling at high speed.

Sound quality is exactly what you would expect from a flat panel television, so you will need to buy a sound bar, or sound base.

Design and build quality is, as you would expect from Sony, very high. A top quality plastic case and a perfectly smooth screen with a very neat bezel. The inputs and outputs are nicely laid out, and the set is very well balanced on the metal stand supplied. The remote is a little bit too small and lightweight for my liking, but it is neatly laid out and works well.

I would recommend going to Sony's website for the full specification and list of web content and Apps.

If you're thinking about moving from a C.R.T. TV to flat panel television, I can recommend this model. It won't be be able to produce the high quality S.D. broadcast picture that you are used to, but the H.D. picture is terrific. I would strongly recommend calibrating it using a calibration disc, as this will make a huge difference. Trying to adjust it by eye and guesswork will only produce an acceptable picture at best.
44 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 February 2015
I can see why people buy Samsung. I bought this as I have always bought Sony things, and thought a Sony TV would match my Sony hi-fi. I forget however that Sony is not the company it was in the 1990s, the decade from which my double deck CD hi-fi originates from, which is still superb and out-lasted all my MP3 players. The main feature I wanted on the TV was the internet TV. However, this is poor, and it's not just my broadband's fault as other devices work well enough. Often the show we are watching had given up the ghost after a while and we watch the rest of it on our small laptop! The whole TV experience is slow - feel the remote control of a Samsung and even that feels 21st century! The TV guide listings rarely works on my Sony, and the sound is average, though I put it through the afore-mentioned hi-fi. Sure, it's still a good TV, but most TVs are nowadays at this price and name. It's just that others do 21st century features better. Buy this, and you will understand why you listen to your music on an iPhone now, not a Walkman. Buy a Samsung.
44 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 October 2014
Shocking that in this day and age sony are still trying to sell a freeview tv with hd plastered all over the description, that DOES NOT have freeview hd bulitin.This may not matter to those connecting using Sky orVirgin but I find this seriuosly.misleading and unworthy of a company with Sonys reputation. i own a sony and its good, but I will stick to SamSung or Panasnic for my next Box (b4 xmas 2014).
55 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 April 2015
 I'd previously bought 2013's 24 inch Sony Bravia KDL24W605A and was quite happy with it on the whole. When this came up at a good price I bought it for my grandparents as a Christmas present as their old TV was knackered. [Update May 2015]. Due to problems with this TV I've now taken possession of the TV and had to buy another for my grandparents.

The display itself is great - can't fault it (SD looks very good @ 32", HD looks fantastic), as is the sound as discreet speakers go. On the display and sound alone this a great television, 5 stars.

The guide loads quickly & without audio interruption, displaying 8 channels at a time. The guide is good, but for some reason it goes over the whole picture with no miniaturized display in the top left, which is present on the 2013 model.

See attached picture comparing both remotes. The remote when compared to the previous year's has added a swap button to change between previously viewed channel & current (I did miss this on the 2013 remote - it's the bottom right button next to prog +/-, "media" on 2013 remote), but now also has a big netflix button on the same wheel where the guide button previously was, that you will either love (as you use Netflix) or not (don't use Netflix). I fall into the latter camp. The Guide button is relegated to a smaller more fiddly position. Would have preferred the Guide button stayed put and the Netflix button be where the guide now is & programmable to open any app.

I don't find the menus as user friendly as I did on the 24 inch Sony Bravia from 2013. They seem more squished in and shy to use the available space. When first entering the menu everything is at first accessed from a bar running all along the very top of the screen, about an inch in width (on a 32 inch screen). Things are squished in this bar somewhat, as instead of having text visible at all times saything what is what, icons are used instead, that you must first navigate to in order for the text pop up & say what they are (you get used to it, but it's just not as user friendly). The rest of the screen is filled with content of what's on different channels/coming up/featured links/app links. While informative, the guide was fine for this.

Where the TV has really disappointed me is the media player when plugging in a USB stick or accessing a DLNA server such as Serviio. There are issues with the media player crashing when using USB, which upon looking up the problem, seems quite widespread.

When using a 64GB USB stick that I've filled to capacity, the files will play, and once they've started playing they rarely stop, but the media player often crashes while navigating to them. Once it has crashed you have to turn off/disconnect the TV from the mains to get the media player to load successfully again, as subsequent attempts without doing so have the media player crash immediately. My best guess is that it's to do with loading in thumbnails on the folders. It stops halfway through loading them and soon crashes - so I think this is the issue. The issue may not be present with smaller capacity sticks - but it shouldn't be present at all. Sometimes going into a folder and coming back out will allow the thumbnails to fully load and it won't crash. Again, nobody should have to do this to prevent it from crashing - it's just very odd.

[May 2015] Further to using the TV more myself, there is latency when fast forwarding or rewinding via USB or media servers/anything that uses the Sony media player. When you remove your finger from the fast forward/rewind button it will continue rewinding or fast forwarding for a half second/second or so [June 2015 Added video, I clocked it at 0.58 second latency compared to 0.16 on the 24 inch Sony]. This sort of latency is not present in the 2013 model, which is far more responsive. The latency sometimes stops the file from playing altogether and you have to go back to the previous screen and select the file again, and has crashed the player once. I've dropped the rating down to 2 stars as using the USB & media server functionality was a key component for me. Also Sony's customer service has so far been abysmal in trying to find any solution to the problems.

The TV is sponsored by the 2014 Brazil world cup and it includes a special "Football Mode" with its own button on the remote. It tweaks the sound with what seems to be some reverb and adjusts the picture slightly. It's meant to give you more of a "stadium experience" from what I recall in the literature. It's not something I've felt the need to use.

Samsung still have the monopoly on catchup TV apps. No ITVPlayer or 4OD available here. Demand 5 & Iplayer apps a little buggy last time I used them, but they did work. Bugs are slow in being fixed and disappointed in this, along with the lack of ITV & 4OD. (I've been told 4OD have an agreement with Samsung, but looked up ITV & apparently ITV exclusivity ran out 2 years ago?)

There are some parts I don't/haven't used like the social view. It's to do with logging into social networking accounts (like Twitter) with the TV and getting tweets while watching at the same time.

The stand is better than the 24 inch stand, but the 32+ inch stands may have always been better. Padded at contact points with rubber - see attached picture.

As with the previous year's Bravias, one of the greatest plus points and simultaneously worst points is the stand/mounting bracket. It comes with all you need to mount it on a wall - the stand doubles up as a point of connection between the TV and the bracket that screws into the wall. So you're good to go without needing to buy a seperate VESA bracket or other bracket. The worst part is if you want the extra versatility of tilting and moving that a VESA wall mount brings or already have one, there are no VESA holes in the TV. So you will have to DIY a link between the Sony & VESA bracket (I've read people have done it with wood).

In summary, Great Picture (probably better than the comparable Samsung UE32H5500), Good sound (for discreet speakers), lackluster catchup apps and frustrating playback from USB & frustrating FF & RW functionality on media servers & USB (anything using Sony media player).
review imagereview image