on 16 October 2013
I won't go into fine details about what this TV can do because there are hundreds of in depth reviews about it.
-I researched TV's for months. Very nearly went for a Samsung (F6400) but the Sony has a much better build quality, nice metal, thin bezel and better picture. You sacrifice not having 3D, but that's fine for me.
-I don't use the Smart features so much, as the laptop is more convenient. However it's good to know that the TV has those features if needed!
-You can use a phone/tablet as a remote control! Very cool, even my iPad works fine. With the App you can access all of the buttons that are on the remote control, you can select a program from the TV guide on the iPad and the TV will change channel, genius!. You can also share media (videos, pictures, music from your Windows PC wirelessly to the TV!.
-You CAN record on the TV but you need at least a 32gb USB memory stick (I use a 64gb one). It pops neatly into the back of the TV. Recording is very basic but it's there if you need it!.

I wanted to talk about WALL MOUNTING. The stand/base on the Sony doubles up as a wall bracket, handy but check that you can use it on your wall. You cannot attach a 3rd party TV bracket, as the TV does not have the correct holes in the back.
I was worried at first, because I have 2 power plug sockets on my wall, but luckily the bracket fits around the sockets. Also note that the TV has a speaker system which protrudes out of the back, at the bottom of the TV, this is fine when wall mounted, but make sure that you don't have anything on the wall that would get in the way. You also need to make sure you have room for the Power supply (which comes with it's own small wall bracket), it sits neatly behind the TV. So just be aware of these things before you start putting sockets and plugs in your wall.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
1818 comments| 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 42-inch|Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
♦ Brief ♦

Having previously owned a much older Sony LED TV, I was quite excited to see how well this would compare and if it was actually any better in quality.

One things for sure, it's very light for a TV it's size and has a good weight distribution making it easier to lift.

It has a lovely design, the TV width is nicely thin and has very little frame in the way of the screen.

This TV also boasts an X-Reality Pro picture processing engine with 200Hz Motionflow to deliver smooth and detailed images.

♦ Box Contents ♦

Television | AC adapter & power cable | Remote control | 2x AAA batteries |
Wall mount kit | TV stand & bolts | Instructions & other paperwork.

♦ Set-Up ♦

All you need is a Philips screwdriver (Unless you are mounting it onto the wall, in which you will also need a drill).

As my walls are extremely flimsy, I decided to go for the stand option which took barely 5 minutes (except for finding the darn screwdriver which took me 15 minutes).

- Stand Set-up -

Fixing the TV onto its stand is simplicity at its best:

1) Attach the two metal fixtures onto the stand and make sure they are screwed on securely.

2) Place the TV over the metal fixtures and insure they go into the slots. *Note: it's always best to get someone to help on this part to ensure an easy installation.

3) On the back of the TV there are two holes, one on each side, make sure the last two screws are inserted and securely tightened.

And that's it!

- Wall mount -

I'm really impressed with Sony making the stand double as a wall mount with the provided kit, this gives consumers a set-up choice right out of the box.

Those who are wanting to use this will be pleased to know it comes with a big piece of paper that shows you the exact distance of where the holes need to be drilled, this will certainly make the installation less of a hassle.

♦ TV Ports & Sockets ♦

HDMI x2 | Aerial | SCART(AV) | Component | LAN | Digital Out (Optical) | USB | Headphone | Power.

♦ Usability ♦

The remote control included is not only comfortable to hold, it's light and has a decent button layout.

As for the home interface, I absolutely love it, it runs very smoothly with no noticeable lag; the menu is also broken into convenient categories making navigation a breeze.

♦ Internet Connection ♦

Whilst this TV has a LAN port for wired connections, it also has a built-in WiFi adapter which gets a big like from me; a lot of TV's which are "WiFi Ready" require a WiFi USB dongle of the same brand as the TV and are normally very expensive, for example; some previous models from Sony needed such dongle with a hefty price-tag of £50+!

Connecting the TV to the internet via WiFi was effortless to do and the results are great, I can stream YouTube videos directly on my TV in HD quality! (As long as the video was rendered in HD of course).

♦ Picture Quality / Viewing Experience ♦

I am in complete awe of the picture quality, my previous Sony LED TV is around 2-3 years old and I honestly thought it was the bee's knees and that the quality couldn't get any better, but how wrong was I.

When it comes to HD content, the images are sharp, crisp & very smooth, it really brings life to what your watching. The TV also has many different scene modes to choose from such as 'Cinema', 'Cinema 24p', 'Music', 'Sports', 'Gaming' and more, this will adjust the picture & audio settings that will suit what your watching better.

The other main factor which really adds to the viewing experience is the frame of the TV, as mentioned before there's barely any frame taking space of the screen which makes it look like the images are going to flow off the edge.

- Unfortunately I can't comment on the Freeview quality as I don't have the appropriate cables/antenna installed. -

♦ Sound Quality ♦

The sound quality is actually rather good considering how thin this TV is, now it may not be the best and of course wont beat a home theatre, however it does deliver well and don't have any qualms about it.

♦ Final Opinion ♦

This TV definitely heats up the competition in the TV market, not only does it look amazing, it has great online features and is more than able to deliver stunning picture quality.

The more I use the TV, the more I love it!

- EDIT 20th May 2013 -

I've now included a video that shows the box contents, how to set the TV up via the stand & an overview of the TV's interface.

*Music used in the video were the following: 'Speed of Light' &'No Regret' by Zircon.
122122 comments| 380 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2013
Just got this TV a few days ago along with my PS4... all I can say is WOW!

The TV itself is stunning, the brushed silver frame looks so high quality and frames the screen perfectly. As for the picture quality, it's flawlwess! I play BF4 which is in itself a visual impressive game and this TV just does it justice completely. Colours are vibrant and the picture clarity is crystal clear, no motion blur at all!

I couldn't recommend this enough!!
44 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2013
Following on from their 5-star review in What Hi-Fi's 32-inch TV category last year, the KDL-32W653a continues Sony's return to form. They've now incorporated X-Reality PRO from 2012's higher end models, as well as Motionflow XR 200Hz. This is my first flat screen TV, replacing an old CRT. Standard definition Freeview is upscaled and looks much, much better than expected. The four Freeview HD channels look absolutely superb. The display quality is very uniform and I've not noticed any clouding. The build and styling is really nice, with a thin black metal bezel. Sound quality is better than most flat LED TVs. The user interface is sleek and easy to both set-up and navigate. WiFi connectivity is built-in and features BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Sony Entertainment Network, Demand 5, Netflix, LoveFilm and various other media apps. It's a shame it doesn't have 4OD, but hopefully this will come on board with future updates. You get two HDMI ports, 1 SCART socket, 1 USB, 1 ethernet and various audio sockets. For the price, the W653a is amazing value. Sony are selling this on their website for £549, with a £50 discount if ordered online. John Lewis stores are selling this model for £499.95 with a free five-year warranty. I'd highly recommend this television to new-comers to HD TV and people looking for a great quality, mid-range set for living rooms where space is at a premium. Please note: Screen Mirroring works with Miracast compliant devices only. Sadly, if you use an iPad, you'll probably need to get an Apple TV device to use AirPlay.
22 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2013
Due to the various opinions by other reviewers on Amazon, I decided to go into a nearby well-known electrical store, which had both the Sony KDL42W653 42-inch, and the Panasonic TX-L42E6B 42-inch side-by-side on the display unit.

Both were showing the same program. The Sony KDL42W653 42-inch had a far superior picture when compared to the Panasonic. Personally I would have expected the Panasonic to be better, but it wasn't. I also looked at Samsung within the same price range, its picture quality wasn't as good as the Panasonic or Sony.

I ordered the Sony from Amazon as it was £30 cheaper.

The Sony comes with wall brackets and a base stand. It is easy to set up using Sony's menu. It was up and running within 10 minutes.

TIP! When you go through Sony's menu configuration, you will be offered the option to set up for satellite dish viewing. If you are using a freesat box or Sky box select "no" as you will be connect the freesat and sky box to one of the hdmi sockets at the back. If you have a satellite dish and cable fitted directly to the tv select "yes".

Comments by other reviewers about the picture quality on the tv channels being poorer quality and darker when compared to watching DVDs- there is a difference but by changing the tv's default picture settings the quality can be improved. I think the main issue is with the broadcasters on their standard channels, once broadcasters switch-over to only hd channels, the issues should be resolved.

I've also watched a few fast action movies and there has been no pixelation problems, which older or cheaper televisions suffer from.

The only thing I really wish it had was three hdmi connections instead of two. This can be overcome by buying a hdmi auto switcher.

For under £500 I would recommend this television without hesitation. It's really good and I have no regrets.

4 Star rating given because itv player is not available on the tv's internet, and for only having two hdmi sockets.
on 29 July 2013
Smart tv it is and more interacts with iPad and play stations also has added bonus of free view, picture is crystal clear and sharp, it's an excellent buy for money , worth every penny , bought this as a gift for brothers birthday and he loved it , said its a nice looking tv also , goes on utube and net , also states sound is excellent . Gave it 5 star. First class tv ,said due to small surround tv looks smaller , but says looks are deceiving as screen is bigger and you get full picture, excellent for playing games on line sharpness in picture also excellent sound which gives you added bonus when listening out for other players in adventure games .
on 25 October 2013
Before buying this tv, I did a lot of research on the current ones in the market. I was looking for something that had good motion speed so I can play my xbox on it, good picture, and good sound and wasn't too expensive. I can happily say this tv covers all these aspects.

This tv has 200hz motion speed and that runs games fine. There is no lag at all, which makes fast pace games like FIFA enjoyable to play. The speed of the digital channels are fine too and there's no speech or movement lag. (I recommend not getting anything lower then a 200hz)

In terms of picture quality this tv is brilliant. There's no dark spots which is the main thing people complain I about and the contrast in colour is very nice and it is in full HD. You can I also tweek the image with the pictures options the tv gives you it fit your preference. The tv automatically adjusts the brightness of the picture to the mount of light avaiable in the room which is a very useful feature. It comes with 4 HD channels which are top notch quality as well. The tv also provides a lot of viewing angles which was one thing I was worried about when i brought it because my stand isn't adjustable. But that wasn't a problem. You can pretty much see from most angles a person would like to view from.

The sound is good, but for those who are like me and like big base then connecting your own speakers would be a better option.. Especially for games like battlefield and call of duty. However the overall sound is actually good without them. The tv gives you options on different sound settings so you can adjust it to what you prefer.

The smart tv features are also great, you can do neat tricks like Skype or be on Facebook whilst watching tv.. The screen would split in two. The application that come with it are also excellent, you get the options of netflix, bbc Iplayer, lovefilm, YouTube, social networks, now film etc.

Overall I would definately recommend this tv. The price is good and the features are too. I also want to say that the 32inch isn't small!! Don't be deceived by the image. When you actually get it and set it up, it's bigger then what you think. The frame of the tv is thin so you actually get full picture. I sit no more then a meter from tv and it's massive. I was thinking of getting a bigger one at first but that was a bit expensive for a bedroom tv. Now that I have it, I'm definately happy with the size. Games look full and brilliant on it as well with a HDMI cable.
on 1 December 2013
I bought the 42W653 to replace my old 2008 W4000 40 inch CCFL LCD Bravia.

As an avid gamer, I loved my old W4000, with its sub 8 millisecond response times (low response times are very important in gaming, especially for online games, such as first person shooting games) and for the last few years, I couldn't find a TV to match this.

But CCFL backlit LCD's are a bit "old hat" now and so I decided to look for a comparable LED screen. However, I've not been able to find one with a low enough response time.

Then the W653 came along with 6 millisecond response time. Not only that, the set was less than £500.

It was a done deal.

However, whilst the W653 is this years best gaming TV (if you don't believe me, check out the review on hdtvtest.co.uk), it's also a great all round performer.

HD material is stunning, with sharp, bright pictures and well balanced colours (with little need for calibration, if you pick the right picture mode).

Black response (the ability to render dark scenes properly) deserves special mention. It's fantastic and by all accounts is better than the W805 series, which is the next tier up in Sony's TV range.

Standard def stuff is handled well too, although I have seen better (but not at this price point).

Motion seems well handled, although this is not a 200Hz panel in its true sense (I do not believe that there is any interpolation going on, which means the TV really runs at 50Hz, although I have seen it reported than the panel is 100Hz). The TV's "200Hz" mode is actually achieved by backlight blinking, which has some distracting side effects, so I leave it off. Despite this, motion is handled extremely well without using this mode, with little noticeable motion blur or panning judder (certainly much better than my old W4000).

You also get built-in WiFi and the smart TV functions seem to work well enough, although the UI is quite sluggish.

The TV is a great looking piece of kit too, with its tiny bezel and chromed stand.

Downsides? Well, the sound isn't great. My 5 year old W4000 beats it hands down, but the speakers on the W653 are around the back of the TV, so that's to be expected. You also don't get 3D, but I think most people would be happy to be without that. More importantly, you only get two HDMI inputs, which is a problem for me, although decent HDMI splitters can be picked up relatively cheaply and don't degrade picture quality, so it's not an insurmountable problem.

There is also an external power "brick" which is highly unusual for TV to have. This isn't really an issue for me, although I agree that it's not exactly ideal.

To sum up, this has got to be the best gaming TV on the market right now. It's also a great TV in general.

Add to that the sub £500 price and this has got to be one of the tech bargains of the year.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 14 March 2014
I bought this TV virtually solely based on the reviews here (and my many positive experiences with Sony TVs in the past). There are many good features:
- The fact that the wall mount and stand are one and the same. I didn't mount it on a wall but it would have been simple to do so. The stand is very easy to put together, just requiring two pieces of metal tubing to be connected to the stand with two screws, before being slotted into the TV and held in place with two more screws. It felt very stable when put together. This Sony TV is extremely lightweight and thin compared to an LG one I have with the same size screen that is a couple of years old.
- Two HDMI ports make it easy to switch between devices using the menus on the TV. A USB port is also included, which is useful.
- The built in WiFi connectivity makes it remarkably easy to connect to the internet if you don't want the wired option through the LAN port. There are literally dozens of apps available through the menu, including the obvious ones like YouTube, as well as the ability for general web browsing. Downloading an app called iMediaShare to my iPhone allowed me to display photographs and videos from my phone on the TV extremely easily.
- The option of choosing black or silver is great because I already have a silver TV stand so it's good not to be stuck with a black TV.

The problem and a rather fundamental one was that I couldn't get the picture to be as sharp as other comparable TVs. There are several default picture settings such as cinema, vivid, music, sports and gaming, and you have of course the ability to manually adjust the sharpness, contrast, backlight, colour and even the colour warmth among others. I spent a good deal of time fiddling with the settings, and invited a friend to do the same, but it just left us perplexed as to how the picture quality wasn't particularly good. This might seem a ridiculous thing to say, particularly in light of the other reviews here, the vast majority of which are overwhelmingly positive, but that is my honest experience. Perhaps the TV had a minor fault, although I couldn't say for sure either way. I decided to return this Sony TV and replace it with a very similar one from another manufacturer. A rather disappointing end to what looked to be a very good TV.
VINE VOICEon 18 May 2013
First of all, the packaging - this is an incredibly light TV and is quite simply packaged, the box is just slightly larger than the TV. There are, however four polystyrene packaging pieces which are quite bulky if you have fortnightly bin collections. The box is cardboard, with a few plastic bags containing the remote control, battery and instructions, stand, stand fittings, screws and wall mount fittings.
The stand is simple to put together, using just four screws and, as the TV is light, the fitting together of the TV and stand can be accomplished easily by one person (I turned the TV upside down to insert the stand and affix the screws). The stand with TV looks very stylish together. The TV is very thin (although thicker at the bottom to aid weight distribution on the stand I presume)and the area from screen to outer edge is quite small so it looks like you are looking at just a screen, not a 'framed' TV picture.
The TV was simple to set up, connections to power, hdmi, scart and aerial were easy to find and connect, the remote was simple to insert the batteries and the TV switched on very quickly on first press of the On button. The setup screens were easy to navigate through, including setting up the clock/calendar, installing a wireless network connection, searching for freeview channels and choosing optimal performance settings. The whole setup process, from opening the box to actually watching a program on a correctly installed television took about half an hour at a casual pace so very simple indeed to do.
The TV was connected to a Virgin box via hdmi and the picture on standard definition was excellent, much clearer than the previous flatscreen TV we had, although certain channels did have slight 'fogging' when words were on screen (such as news channels with rolling news items on the bottom or side of the screen). This was actually a connection issue with the hdmi so after a quick wiggle, the words cleared up and were quite a lot easier to read.
Once a HD channel was selected then you could really see the sheer quality of detail this TV is able to cope with. Motor racing in HD was stunning - crystal clear picture and excellent sound for the speaker size. This is by far the most impressive picture quality I have witnessed from a TV.
The additional online features are again excellent. BBC iplayer, twitter, skype, facebook and youtube are available and simple enough to set up and play with.
You can also connect your tablet or phone to the TV to view onscreen - a quirky but great little feature and great fun for a four year old boy who absolutely loved trying this out!
Another neat little idea is the info bar which gives you additional details about shows when watching TV on freeview - it is not intrusive like some and means you can find out further details without annoying other viewers in the household. Also, the little light at the bottom of the TV changes colour dependent on the type of program you are watching.
This is a very impressive TV, with tons of features, it looks great, the picture is great and the sound is spot on. It is a little bit quirky, but all the quirks are there for the right reasons. Highly reccommended.