on 5 January 2011
I have used this camera for nearly five years, traveling round the world in all kinds of conditions and it has never let me down. It's even been to the top of Everest!

I use it in conjunction with it's bigger Sony brothers when I want to be discreet in places where filming is restricted. The results are excellent and cut in with more expensively acquired footage seamlessly in the edit suite. I have even used it as the principle camera in several broadcast TV productions. It's a professional camera with proper mic inputs and manual controls.

It's a testament to the all-round ability of this little workhorse that it is still selling so well.
on 2 August 2008
If you want a great little camera that provides fantastic quality and good image control combined to a small discrete size, then you could do far worse. This is a great little camera.
Benefits from the 2 XLR inputs for excellent sound quality. White balance control is pretty good too. Chuck on a half decent InfraRed light and the night shoot is pretty good (the units own one is a bit weak).
1080i is good and the option of DVCAM is very useful.
Great in an underwater housing too as it's so controllable.

Not really quite a fully pro camera but very useful for a consumer, pro-summer, or pro.
I'd gone off Sony for a while until using this.. nice job.
on 10 October 2011
I have had my Sony HVR - A1E for a few years and it is truly a superb little camera.

First, here are a few gripes:

I don't like the supplied mic, I use a Sennheiser cardioid instead and I find this to be much superior. I think the supplied mic is rather rolled off at the top.

The flip out monitor screen is not very accurate but you get used to it after a while and so you can take account of it.

If the camera is on a tripod you have to remove it to take out a tape as the tapes are inserted on the underside of the camera.

However when you transfer the tapes to you hard drive and start to edit, the gripes I've mentioned will seem like nothing because the quality is so good for such a small camera.
on 20 March 2016