on 10 February 2012
Purchased this camera after I returned the Olympus sz30mr, this Sony is The Best I have ever owned, live colors and so many options, easy to use and very very user friendly system. Image quality can not be distinguished from DSLR, well in other words they made a DSLR in a compact version, there you go. if Amazon had 6 stars I would give 6 stars no probs.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 30 April 2012
I bought the Sony DSC-HX100 mainly for the power of the Zoom and was not disappointed. So far I've shot birds at a distance and family close up, inside and out with excellent results. However, whilst the shooting position is comfortable, the controls are over sensitive and handling the camera in any other way is awkward. Getting it in and out of its case, for example, is awkward without switching it on. The main problem was the accompanying software CD, using which proved unable to register the camera on line. Accessing on-line support fortunately proved very effective - they replied promptly and provided links to download the requisite software which worked OK, although the whole process was long-winded and took many minutes to complete. Once registered, downloading to the computer from the camera proved quick and easy.
on 25 April 2012
I was sick of having poor quality compact digital cameras so I decided to invest in a better one and I wasn't disappointed. This camera provided me with all of the functions I needed without being confusing. I considered getting an SLR but now I'm glad I chose this as I feel anything more would have been wasted on me as I wouldn't understand all it's functions.

The setting and functions are all very familiar and easy to get used to with a bit of experimentation and produce beautiful high quality pictures.
on 30 April 2012
Excellent value camera with mant effects, compact and easy to use - has many more features than mu Sony Alpha SLR. This versatile cyber shot is extremely good value for beginners and sophisticated enough for the semi-pro
on 23 October 2012
I have been using this camera a year now and cannot not pick a fault with it , it takes excellent pictures for me every time . Not too big to carry about like some cameras and also has an excellent easy fast zoom , so as not to miss pictures that are not there long .
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 January 2015
Another great Sony to add to my collection..
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 April 2012
very good camera. i don't need DSLR one. beacause this is like DSLR camera. there are lot of potions as DSLR one.
on 25 February 2012
I was undecided between going for the Lumix FZ150, Canon SX40, and the Sony HX100V. When I finally made up my mind and decided to part with my hard earned cash I went with the Sony. I am definitely not disappointed with my decision. This is a fantastic camera. After reading what seemed like a million different reviews I was struggling to make a decision. Each of the cameras I was considering has their pros and cons. One thing which really sold the Sony for me was the build quality. Both the Lumix and the Canon felt very plastic and lets be honest, a bit cheap. The Sony, although it is slightly bigger and heavier than the Lumix it is of an excellent build. It feels great when in use and everything is easy to find. A few reviews tend to focus on the fact that Sony have packed 16.1 mil pixels into the HX100V, and they view this as a negative because it can in fact lead to a lessening of the image quality. What you have to remember though is that this is not a DSLR camera. The quality of the images that the Sony or any of the cameras I have already mentioned will not match that of a Canon EOS or Nikon D to give a few examples. What you need to ask yourself when considering buying a new camera is what you intend to use the camera for. If you want a camera that produces good quality images, provides HD movie mode, is packed to the gills with function and versatility, then don't look any further, go for the Sony! The zoom on this thing is unbelievable! At 30x it can produce great images without the need to lug around any separate lenses, as is the case with any DSLR. I owned the Nikon D5000 and had the Nikkor 70-300mm zoom lens. The problem was it was a complete beast and a nightmare to carry around. I took it with me on holiday a few times but found that it was just too big and frustrating to use, especially when I needed to change the lens. I sold the Nikon and bought the HX100V and I am very pleased that I did so. The scene function is class. It allows you to pick between a variety of scenes which can lead to producing more artistic shots. If you want the freedom to tweak your images then the manual setting allows you to choose shutter speed and aperture. All in all I am very pleased with the Sony. I have only had it for a few days and have been able to take some great images. So stop reading all those reviews and just go and buy the Sony, you won't be disappointed!!
0Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 August 2011
an excellent upgrade from the Hx1,great shots even when at full zoom. the only problem i have found is that if you hand gets to near the viewfinder the lcd screen goes off and the viewfinder goes on but no big problem as the heat sensor can be turned off.

there is also a good review of this camera at the website below.

[...]
review image
on 25 July 2011
I was delighted after several months wait, to finally receive the HX100. I have the HX1 which is one of my favourite cameras, but I have found the successive cameras in the range to be quite a disappointment, none more so than the HX5. For me, the feature of the range is the geotagging of pictures. The HX5 was hopeless at it, so I expected big things from this camera since it was over £400. The reason this camera seems hard to get hold of, was because of distribution problems with all the disasters in Japan in early 2011.
I found the camera quite nice to hold and there is a leather `effect' grip which facilitates that. It is not too heavy but perhaps not as solid as it should be. The GPS initially took an extraordinary length of time to initialise on the first ever switch-on. This worried me somewhat. It seemed able to track its position quite well though and I would rate it very well for its geotagging. You do have to observe the visibility issues with the satellites but overall I was quite satisfied to rely on it. The video feature was not tested.
The picture quality of the HX100 is pretty good too. I found that the HX1, often over-exposed some shots and its strong flash drowned out the white-balance. So far, I cannot see any change in the HX100, so no improvement here. I was quite shocked that the lens cap did not automatically release on startup. The HX1 had a mechanism which automatically released the cap before the lens came out. This was a very good feature but strangely enough, it does not seem to have been featured in this model; which from a usage aspect is a little disconcerting. I tested the zoom feature to 20x but found the pictures quite noisy, washed out but there was little or no saturation.
Hard as it might try, the camera showed very little improvement on the HX1. Yet, overall I am pleased with it. The nice features of date imprint on the photo are handy but I would have liked the 24hr time recorded also. It copes with the full range of SD cards and the dreaded Sony MS Pro!! I give it a cautious four stars.
1313 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse