TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 July 2011
Can't really add much more to other reviews. A Sony engineered, quality product, that really does out perform the cheaper alternatives from other manufacturers. It really is worth buying the best you can afford if you're going to be using the lens regularly and for those on a budget this is an excellent must buy. I've used it for 10 months now without a problem and it's given me some fantastic results - if I could work out how to upload them I'd share them.

If you've got an entry level DSLR as I have with my Alpha, buying lenses can sometimes be an expensive (but necessary if you want to get the best from your camera) pastime. This is a viable and affordable quality zoom lens that I would recommend.
on 6 January 2018
nice clean lens it clips to my camera, and takes good photots
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 January 2013
I wanted a good zoom lense to go along and extend the parameters of my new Sony a57 and I am a believer that the same manufacturers product should offer the the best match to the camera. This together with various offers at the time brought the lense into line with the competition, cost wise at least. To date the lense has not disappointed!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 June 2011
I have replaced my sigma 75 - 300 dl with this lens and the difference is unbelievable! Sharper, quicker, better AF and MF, less shake and you can format your shot in the viewfinder without guessing what your picture will look like at 300mm. It's just an altogether better bit of kit and outperforms the other lens by so much... it's just in another league. For the money it's a brilliant buy and unless you want to spend £4-600 then it's about the best you'll get. It marries up with the 18-70 kit lens that came with my a390 and you don't notice the missing 5mm at all. If you have a starter level sony alpha then add this lens to your camera kit.
on 14 March 2009
The Sony 75-300mm is designed to complement the standard 18-70mm kit lens, greatly extending the range without any overlap. Indeed since the 5mm difference between them is negligible, the pair offer a huge range from 18-300mm, delivering a 35mm-equivalent field of 27-450mm. The telephoto range of the 75-300mm is ideal for portraits, wildlife and sporting events, along with bringing-in any kind of distant detail.

Recommended. :-)
22 Comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 February 2009
Purchased for our a350 for a safari, and I'd recommend for anyone needing a decent zoom lens. It's fast and top quality, the pictures are just brilliant.
11 Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 July 2014
This lens is not bad at all for the price, but it can only be considered a "kit lens" which is fair enough considering that's what it is.. The build quality is reasonable enough, it's plastic but relatively light because of it.

The image quality is not particularly brilliant, and if you're looking to take a lot of shots perhaps of wildlife or anything fast moving then be prepared for a lot of lens "hunting" whilst the camera tries to lock on focus. I've used this lens on a Sony DSLR-A200K 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera + Zoom Lens Kit (18-70 mm F3.5-5.6), Sony Alpha SLTA55VL.CEH Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens and my current Sony SLTA77V.CEH Translucent Mirror Interchangeable Lens Camera (24.3MP) 3.0 inch LCD and I've suffered the same problem on all, so it's definitely the lens.

The other problem is if you plan on using a Circular Polarising filter then be prepared for more frustration as the front element rotates when focusing, so if you need to refocus you'll need to adjust the polariser again.

There are chromatic abberations with this lens as well as colour fringing, but remember this is a kit lens, and it's really not expensive at all considering other options out there.

If you are new to SLR photography and want to experiment and broaden your options then do consider this lens, but if you want to be serious about your photography you will at some point need to upgrade to something better.
on 16 August 2010
The lens was second hand but was in fact brand new, the Sony seal on the packaging never having been broken.
For the price this is an excellent lens and certainly better than some of the reviews I had seen. At 300mm, the picture quality is excellent and the focussing whilst not quiet, is fairly rapid and positive with little hunting. I just wish it had a macro facility at 300mm like my old Sigma lens.
on 11 August 2008
If on a budget this is a must have lens for your dslr. It will pretty much set you up for any shot due to its 70-300mm (105-450mm 35mm equivalent)
but obviously if you can stretch your budget, do so. I had this lens some years ago, had to sell to pay for something else. and im looking at buying a new one again, its that good. to sum up for a smidge over £100 its a great lens
44 Comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 April 2009
This is my first lens for my first DSLR and I wanted a lens that I could use for birwatching/ nature photos. I wasn't sure what I wanted and with so many types on the market, I figured at this price I could afford to get it wrong.
I have to say that I'm really impressed with the lens. It's very clear, it's easy to carry and the manual focus is easy, and quick to sort out.
I have realised it's not powerful enough for some of the shots I want, ie. birds at sea, but it's great for anything within 100 yards or so.
I'm very pleased to have this to play with and I'm sure I'll be able to sell on when I eventually upgrade.
11 Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse