on 8 September 2001
I picked this up in Oz on a recommendation from a band in Cairns. Everywhere I went, peoples CD collections always but always had this CD in them.
On first impression I found it a bit simplistic, but came back to it a week or two later and began to listen to the lyrics. Wrapped up in them are the growing up of a nation, a longing for a better world, nostalgia of youth and concepts that all of us can relate to.
When my car was stolen with the CD still in it, where it had been played non stop for about three months, I was more gutted about the CD than the car or the golf clubs or my favourite rugby shirt that was in the boot at the time....
on 3 September 2004
What can you say about Paul Kelly apart from being one of the greatest singer/sognwriters to have come from Australia. This CD is a great compilation of some of the highlights (though it would take 3 or 4 CD's to catch them all). The album starts with his first the simple but catchy 'From St Kilda to Kings Cross' from his first solo album 'Post' and finishes with what I think is the highlight 'How to Make Gravy' - a song about a guy in prison wondering who will make the gravy for Xmas this year. Essentially telling stories, Paul Kellys strength is in the lyrics, however the music is understated rather than being simjple as some have described. In any case I cannot recommend this CD enough for those waiting to be introduced to Paul Kelly or to round off a collection for his long term fans
on 28 August 2000
Paul Kelly's songs are like little stories. In these stories you become the character, and experience and feel as they do. From moments of awkwardness, isolation, longing to love, lost love, childhood, etc these songs take you to places that you have never been before, but feel remotely familiar.
You can also feel the Australian landscape from images of Melbourne, Sydney, Aborigines,and Sir Donald Bradman...
on 24 August 2007
Great collection of Paul Kelly's best stuff. Highlights for me are 'Bradman', 'To Her Door', 'Love Never Runs on Time' and 'How to Make Gravy'. Kelly is one of the few singers who manages to be uniquely Australia without resorting to tired stereotypes. The only downside is that whenever I listen to this album I get bloody homesick!
on 15 June 2008
Paul Kelly is just one of the best song writers in the world - simple as that really ! I have ALL his CDs and keep returning to them time after time:

"I used to give you the sweetest meat happy to pick up the bone, now I don't even pick up the phone"

Mike - UK
on 8 January 2015
Fabulous songs with emotive lyrics. Highly recommended
on 6 October 2015