Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 17 July 2013
***THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET READ SOMETHING LIKE SUMMER***

I knew this book would rip my heart out, I spent a long time with it on my tablet without opening the first page. Of course this was due to the fact I knew how it would end, and that scene and the following one in SLS still makes me cry if I think about it. But I decided to bite the bullet and read it...

First off, I decided early on I would not like Victor, and I didn't for the most part. But I did end up feeling sorry for him in the end. Getting to know young Jace was bitter-sweet, he was just as lovely as a teenager as he was as an adult. Seeing certain scenes from SLS/SLW (The ones where Tim came barging in) from Jace's point of view a lot of things were cleared up, as in why he didn't seem to react like you'd have imagined.

Then of course the inevitable, and oh jeez..I can't even write this without tears plopping on the keyboard. This book broke my heart, it was like losing a dear friend, getting him back only to lose him again and I cried buckets, still do.

Jay Bell can really write emotional books and this one will stay with me forever.
on 17 June 2014
Something Like Autumn (SLA) is the coming of age story of Jace Holden (65%) and his time with Ben from his perspective (35%). I strongly advise you to read Something like Summer (SLS) before reading this book. SLS paints the backdrop and SLA fills in all those annoying questions you had about Jace and his relationship with Ben.

You can read SLA before reading Something Like Winter (SLW). In some ways it does work better that way. Though it may be harder to open your heart to Tim in SLW if you do it this way around.

I promise you that you will not regret buying this book!

*** Spoilers for previous books, do not read further than this if you haven't read them***

After reading SLS and SLW, I have to confess that I didn't really have any real attachment to Jace. I just saw him as some literary device designed to act as a speed bump on Ben and Tim's journey together. He was just too nice, too understanding and baffling on how he could compete with Tim's torturous love for Ben.

After reading SLA, this all changed. COMPLETELY. I love Jace so much, I love him more than Ben and Tim combined. I could finally see what Ben saw in Jace and how lucky Ben was to have him.

Jay Bell will break your heart into a thousand tiny little pieces. I have never cried so much reading a book. When it came to the ending, even though I knew where the story was going, I was totally devastated. Not just a trickle of tears..... whole hearted sobbing.

Jay Bell has a gift. Lesser authors fail to achieve the same connection with their readers because they are too ham fisted to take you on that journey of discovery. I can only hope Jay continues to write for a very long time. Thank you for writing this book!
on 7 January 2016
WARNING, THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR BOTH THIS BOOK AND SOMETHING LIKE SUMMER, ITS PECEEDING STORY.

I can't out my finger on where it happens, but somewhere a long the line this book got to me, no, scratch that... I can tell you EXACTLY where it happened, the first time, the second time, and that fateful third time that I knew was coming.

Autumn was incredibly sweet and touching in places and then cruel and cutting in others. If I had one big criticism of this book its that the inevitable end portion of the book is handled too quickly,from splashtown to "the event" (as it shall be named) is too short, there's a whole host of back story between the two of them and what was going on there that I wish had been filled in. But then, this wasn't about that. This was about understanding Jace Holden and falling in love with him again and that certainly happens.

This book has what may be my favourite line of any book I have read in the last few years however. "bens sister who had all the charm of a farting orangutan"

this book also left me wanting more Allison and Jace scenes. The two had a really nice dynamic that wasn't much shown but alas some things are perhaps best left to the mind.

I didn't want this to end, and even though I knew how it must end, I still couldn't help myself but read on. In a very daft way, I feel like I killed Mr Holden because I couldn't stop myself from reading.

Overall a nice read but make sure your emotionally stable before you pick it up.

P.S. kudos to jay bell for the compassion shown in his Epilogue to tell his story and his friends and provide a number of Suicide and Depression helplines. It shows the compassion of a good man.
on 4 July 2015
Jay Bell is brilliant at passionate and compelling stories of love between men and this is no exception. It's a book that packs an emotional punch: heart breaking as well as heart warming. It is the story of two complete lives which takes you on an irresistible journey of love and grief.
on 2 October 2014
I first read this book for free, but it was so beautifully written, on finishing it, I immediately came and bought it so that the author would have the money. It was a book worth paying for.

Admittedly, I found Part 1 difficult going, but on getting past it, I realised it set the scene for the rest of the book and was essential to making sense of Jace's outlook to life and love. As I had bought the 2 previous books and loved them, I persevered. I am glad I did. Even whilst trudging through Part 1, I appreciated it for being what I thought most adolescents, whatever their inclination, should read.

The book deals with some difficult topics, and touched me deeply. My crying has left me with a headache, but I would read the book over again - in fact, I am going to re read SLS now.

Thank you Jay Bell.
on 3 October 2013
The book follows the life of a gay boy called Jace growing up in a small town in the US. It follows around his lifelong quest to be loved- his first romance with a boy called Victor and everything else that happens after. I will not be putting in spoilers, but for the sake of your own emotional health, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT GET OVERLY ATTACHED TO VICTOR. Actually, don't get attached to any character in this book. You have been warned. It is a brilliant book though, and I recommend it highly. Just be prepared for periods of staring off into space whispering "why?"
on 16 April 2014
After reading something like summer i couldnt help but want to hear everyone esle's verson of the story. Along with Something like winter this was an amazing story. Out of all the Something Like books this i have to say was my favorite untill Spring arrived. I got gripped by all 4 books and think they are all equally amazxing work by Jay, but Autumn had something about the Jace and Victor story line that i could relate to more than the other story lines. Thanks for giving us such great storys to read Jay hope there may be more in the future.
on 26 June 2014
****slight spoilers nothing major****
I thouroughly enjoyed this book, I felt that learning more about the life of Tim and Ben was a very nice touch, I didn't think I'd like Jason that much, from the very beginning I felt he was going to be another Victor (Something Like Spring) but Jason quickly won me over.
If you're a fan of the series this book is a must read, it's so heartwarming, not just from a romance perspective, but generally heartwarming as you witness the transition from a troubled teen, to a loved and cared for son.
on 19 August 2013
I really, really enjoyed this addition to the series. From a character that we learnt so little about in the original book, it's really interesting to see life in Jace's perspective, and how he came to be so cool and collected when everything seemed to be going pear shaped.

If you enjoyed Summer or Winter then this is well worth a read.
on 27 August 2013
Wonderful.
I loved all three of the books in this series. Getting to know each of the characters through someone else's eyes and then through their own was fantastic.
Along with highly recommending these as a must read I suggest a few boxes of tissues a necessity.