Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Edition - Sgt. Pepper Shop Women's Shop Men's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Nov 2012, 12:38:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2012, 12:39:29 GMT
I know some ppl are behind technology but seriously RESEARCH! I do marketing for a degree and if you don't research the product how will you get any information!? 3DS is NOT I repeat NOT a DS. The power of the 3DS is much more powerful, Prof Layton miracle mask is not possible on the DS.

RESEARCH!!!!

Phew, rant over!

Posted on 14 Nov 2012, 17:45:37 GMT
A. Healer says:
I agree, almost all games series which have sequels change to the latest console, such as Most Pokemon generations, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil and so on... so its not like its anything new to gaming, but a lot keep going on like its never happened before
I think its due to the fact Layton attracts a few non gamers and older audiences who arern't familiar with current gadgets etc and have little interest in gaming, and fail to look at it as a games company point of view. And due to this they are too stupid or lazy to go out and do the research.

Posted on 15 Nov 2012, 12:47:05 GMT
Its a simple as www.google.com, search 'Nintendo 3DS' or 'Professor Layton Mask of Miracle' and you get instant info. Its just some stupid people and I know that Layton attracts non-gamers but we all have internet and google its SOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to find stuff out!

Posted on 15 Nov 2012, 19:00:53 GMT
Sarah Davies says:
if i upgrade to nintendo 3ds to get new prof layton do i need internet,saw on tv advert wifi required.My sis wants this but has no internet access

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012, 15:12:08 GMT
Matt says:
You'll need an internet connection to download the daily puzzles, but they're just an added bonus, and not required to enjoy the main game.

The 3DS doesn't require it, but like most electronic devices an internet connection is recommended if you want to get the best out of the 3DS and all its features. With the 3DS connected to the internet you can download exclusive eShop games, play demos of retail games, browse the internet, play games online, download new applications, download free 3D videos, send messages to friends, etc.

But for playing regular games like Layton, the 3DS works just the same as the old DS.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2012, 23:16:30 GMT
T. DAVIES says:
Mr Stockley not all people who are disappointed re the latest Prof Layton only being available for the 3DS are the idiots that you prefer to take them for. Not everyone understands the advances in technology and to them 3DS is just a name with no meaning. Quite frankly you are rude and narrow minded to take such a view, and I worry for the future of such a person who perhaps intends to go on to report on the wants, needs and opinions of consumers. Some perfectly intelligent people have expressed the view that they are ardent Prof Layton fans who have shown great loyalty to the brand and feel that their loyalty should be recognised by Nintendo producing this new game for use with their current tech. These people are not screaming that a new brand is being offered only on 3DS, they are justifably annoyed that an existing one is. Not everybody has the funds to jusify purchasing the vastly superior 3DS, especially in the current climate. However, in order to continue enjoying a series of games that they have grown to love, they have no choice but to make sacrifices elsewhere. Most reasonable people will not do this, prefering to spend what little spare cash they have on necessities rather than on such luxuries so, please, have a heart and do not judge them harshly for having a moan. Instead use this piece of consumer commentary wisely and present it to those who have the power to change things and give the people what they really want in recognition of their loyalty .

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012, 00:23:56 GMT
T. DAVIES says:
You say that non gamers are failing to look at things from the games company point of view - are you kidding me?
Please tell me why they should? Bottom line, the games companies are in it to make money and, since you all want more and more advanced products from which they can earn pots of cash, they compete to give the gaming community the latest tech, gadgets and gizzmo's. They know that most of the money for these fancy 'toys' comes from the older generation, who are more likely to be non gamers who enjoy a bit of 2DS Layton, that you are so quick to belittle. Oh, and before you all go off on one I said most of the money, not all of it. However, though even you recognise that there are others out there who may not have the technical know how or need that you do, you think that their wants and needs should just be ignored and would label them stupid and lazy.
Stop acting so superior, so you're a technical whizz - whoopi-do!
The games companies ignore the needs of the, what was it, ' non gamers and older audiences who aren't familiar with current gadgets etc' at their peril as they tend to have the most money to spend and the wisdom to know that this is all the product providers actually want. How would it be if these lazy and stupid people refused to bankroll the gaming needs of their apparently superior, technologically aware but financially dependant offspring?....... look at it from the game company point of view indeed, now who's the idiot????

By the way, no need for you to point out the fact that not all gamers are kids - this I know. Im a mature adult and some of my friends are gamers. However, unlike your ilk they are not superior and condecending about it.

Posted on 18 Nov 2012, 00:23:35 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Nov 2012, 00:27:52 GMT]

Posted on 18 Nov 2012, 00:26:57 GMT
When did I explain that you had to buy it? maybe you should overreacting on posts over the internet, if you have the internet to Google you can research and in no why did I say about finances I just said that ppl stop giving this one star reviews because you haven't researched, jeez.

Posted on 18 Nov 2012, 00:29:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Nov 2012, 23:32:50 GMT
And when did I act so superior? I was stating that people need to research and stop giving the product such a unfair reviewing. Its the stupidity of the ppl giving one star reviews.

Posted on 18 Nov 2012, 18:02:54 GMT
I can understand that people are frustrated in that their older console won't work the new game. However the 3DS has been out for almost two years now so it's natural that the newer games are going to be on the new console. It does allow Level 5 to use the features of the console to create new and unique puzzles.

Also this game was developed and created especially for the 3DS launch in Japan and I do wish to state that the future Layton stories will be on the 3DS console, along with Professor Layton X Phoenix Wright. (I would certainly recommend getting the Wright games if you enjoy the Layton ones. While there isn't so many puzzles there is still a top notch story.) Although however there IS the unreleased London Life which was removed from the UK release of Spectre's Call

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012, 19:25:02 GMT
Blewitt says:
I totally agree with you and was angry at the comments of Mr Stockley I am very disappointed that the new game is 3DS, my Nintendo DSI XL is fairly new so I won't be replacing it and therefore cannot follow my favourite adventures with Professor Leyton.

Posted on 18 Nov 2012, 23:31:40 GMT
Well I'm not angry, I'm just stating that this amazing game shouldn't be downed because people are too lazy to research

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012, 15:52:21 GMT
Blewitt says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 19 Nov 2012, 16:04:26 GMT
Moonless says:
Just because you play a DS doesn't mean you are NOT a gamer. We are all gamers, whatever the platform/console we choose. And you will see that 3DS games can cost as much as a latest XBox 360 or PS3 release, so all opinions and monies are valid.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012, 18:22:58 GMT
Katzii says:
Then deal with not playing the newest game instead of complaining about it.

Posted on 22 Nov 2012, 16:57:47 GMT
flossie 1957 says:
As an older gamer I too am disapointed that the new professor layton game is only on 3ds i cannot afford to buy a new console even if i wanted to so I will be buying the games that play on my xl and the manufacurers will not be making extra money out of me, as to the dicussion on this page it would be better if everyone was more tolerant of all views and accepted that just because we do not want to be conned out of money to replace a perfectly good console we are lazy or stupid we are just aware of the money that we have to spend as many of us have retired and are on a pension a fact that most of the younger gamers with jobs seem not to realise.

Posted on 22 Nov 2012, 20:47:46 GMT
Thats a perfectly fair stance, money is indeed a concern in these times. However, understanding does go both ways; i'd ask that people complaining about this game being for a different console understand how the gaming sector works. A console has an average lifespan of about 7 years (that being from when the first version of the console was released up until the majority of games makers have moved onto its successor, which is usually released 5 years after the previous console). The DS actually had a longer than average lifespan, of about 8 years, considering some major titles were released for it just a few months ago. However, it is indeed now fading into the background as the technology cannot keep up with both the modern requirements of developers and the products it is competing with.

If you cannot afford to buy the new console than that is fair enough, there are certainly much more important uses for limited money. However, you then have to accept that you will not be able to buy popular new games, as this is how the sector has worked for decades now, and not to act like a child throwing his or her toys out of a pram complaining that the sector does not work as you'd like it to, that is unfair to all involved. We can certainly keep things civil and show respect.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012, 20:50:01 GMT
Matt says:
Most of us respect that some people aren't able to afford the newest hardware/games, we just have an issue with people artificially lowering the games rating on here with complaint reviews when they don't own the product, this kind of practise is completely unfair and unacceptable, while it's understandable that some people don't understand the way the industry works, complaining in review form isn't the right outlet.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012, 16:48:46 GMT
AMoffat says:
It has nothing to do with technical know-how and everything to do with common sense. When new technology comes out, old technology is phased out. I don't see loyal fans of long-running film franchises complaining that the industry has abandoned them because new films in the series are no longer released on VHS, or fans of the original Zelda and Mario titles posting scathing reviews of the Zelda and Mario Wii games calling Nintendo money-grubbers because they don't work on their NES's. And yet people criticise Nintendo for bringing out a new Console and making games for it (nobody ever seems to blame Level-5, not that they've done anything wrong either) and expect them to not bring out any new technology so that they can play there precious Professor Layton, while in the meantime Sony and Microsoft bring out their new consoles and Nintendo can't keep up with the market, and thus lose money and can't afford to publish any more Professor Layton games. If people can't afford new tech then they can do what everyone else does and play older games. The DS has a vast catalogue, I'm sure you can find something you like.

And I'm not sure where you got the idea that the older generation spend the most money on the DS, do you have figures to back that up?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012, 17:37:46 GMT
T. DAVIES says:
You make a very valid point and I do not argue it. My own comments were based on the fact that some people were being labelled lazy and stupid regarding this issue and, apart from being rude, it is total rubbish. Advancements in technology are great and essential for more reasons than in order to line game makers pockets but some, like me, bemoan Nintendo for not having the next in the Layton series available on 2DS. I totally agree that people should not post bad reviews on the new game because of this. Afterall, it is not the game they feel is poor but the fact that Nintendo do not offer it in a version applicable to their console. They may well feel though that Nintendo has not done right by them for the loyalty they have shown to a particular series of games and that this is the only way of effectively making their point heard, if you like. It has worked, as nobody can disagee because we are all engaged in a battle of opinion regarding this matter and if we are interested and, in some cases, annoyed by the reviews given, just think how interested and perhaps annoyed Nintendo will be. They will know that some people do not look past the rating, especially so when you are buying a game as a gift, they just check out the rating and if its not good they do not investigate why, they just move on (please no more - they must be lazy and stupids from anyone - some people just have busy lives where other things take priority over games). I have a filter set up like this when purchasings books - haven't the time to check out reviews when buying certain types of literature so wont look at anything that gets less than 4 stars. I am aware that I could be missing out on a fantastic read but thems the breaks im afraid.
As for the older generation being the ones that shell out the most money on new tech, as an experienced parent I am confident in saying that the level of advancement of my kids owes everything to my willingness to part with my hard earned cash and absolutely nothing to theirs. Am pretty sure im not alone here. However, I may be wrong regarding the age range who spends the most and in actual fact its the 25-30 yr olds or even 5-10 year olds who do. Like most people, when I have a moan about something it's a personal thing based on ones own experience and my experience is that it is me that spends the most and uses the least when it comes to technology. It appears to be the experience of most of my peers and if it is not the experience of the world at large - well - frankly - I could care less!
Again, with the vast catalogue, I haven't the time to trawl through it so, if anyone has any Laytonesque suggestions I would be most grateful.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012, 17:58:19 GMT
I'd recommend trying Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (especially since there is a Layton/Wright crossover game in the future should you decide to upgrade). It doesn't have the simple charm of the Layton games, but it does have a good sense of humour and is all about puzzle solving, albeit in a slightly different manner.

Also, thank you for such a level headed reply.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012, 21:06:14 GMT
T. DAVIES says:
My pleasure entirely and many thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012, 10:43:09 GMT
R. Perkin says:
Agree totally. Im not a regular gamer but love prof layton. I know the new one only works on 3DS but I have no interest in this console as therefore I will not be getting this game. I feel let down but nintendo. I would have thought nintendo was keen to encourage us none gamers. In my family there are four that pay prof layton including my almost 70 year old mum and we all got all the other prof layton. This one will never be played by us!

Posted on 29 Nov 2012, 17:48:06 GMT
I have to ask, why are you blaming Nintendo? It's Level 5 that makes the Professor Layton games and decides what console to release them on, not Nintendo.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  9 Nov 2012
Latest post:  29 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about