- Paperback: 444 pages
- Publisher: Springer; 1st ed. 2015 edition (13 Sept. 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1493929003
- ISBN-13: 978-1493929009
- Product Dimensions: 15.5 x 2.7 x 23.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,856,285 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Solar Sketching: A Comprehensive Guide to Drawing the Sun (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series) Paperback – 13 Sep 2015
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
“This book is all about sketching the Sun, and it is marvelous. … you get a better idea of what to look for, different methods that could be used for observing the Sun and even some activities that would be fun to do with children. … All the different mediums used are explained in a step-by-step tutorial style, that are very easy to follow and there are hundreds of examples of sketches of the Sun.” (AstroMadness.com, April, 2016)
From the Back Cover
From the authors of Sketching the Moon comes a comprehensive guide filled with richly illustrated, detailed drawing tutorials that cover a variety of solar phenomena. Time-honored, traditional methods and media are described in tandem with innovative techniques developed and shared by contemporary astronomical sketchers. Explanations of what to expect visually from white light, Hydrogen-alpha and Calcium K filters are provided for those new to solar observing, along with essential tips on equipment, observing techniques and the practicalities of drawing at the eyepiece. For the technically minded, detailed descriptions are given on how to use image manipulation software to bring your sketches to life through animation.
The Sun is the most visually dynamic object in our solar system and offers compelling, spectacular views. Knotted magnetic field lines give rise to powerful eruptions and form the intricate sunspots and arching prominences that make our nearest star one of the most exciting, yet challenging, astronomical objects to sketch. Facilitated by the availability of affordable dedicated solar telescopes and filters, the Sun has become an increasingly popular target amongst astronomical sketchers. The use of narrowband solar filters provides a wonderful opportunity to capture views of the Sun that have, until recently, been largely inaccessible.
You’ll discover easy to follow, step-by-step instructions geared toward your specific interests, be it technical sketching and contributing to science, personal study, or even fun solar outreach activities that help children learn through art. By using Solar Sketching as a reference, drawing the Sun has never been easier.See all Product description
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
I liked the variety of sketches done by all four authors, and the different mediums they use (pencils, inks, pastels and charcoal). There are over 400 figures of images, photos and sketches in the book concerning all features seen on the Sun (filaments, flares, sunspots etc.,) - so, enough to choose from for the correct style that might suit you (areas such as filters, papers and observing form templates are very helpful also). Quality of the paper's pages is quite good, and the satin finish to them highlights the sketches, images and photos even more. Whether you're new to sketching, or well advanced, this book about drawing features on the Sun is a must have.
Five stars to the authors.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Painting & Drawing > Techniques & Tools
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching of Specific Subjects
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Popular Astronomy
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Solar System
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies