Top critical review
One person found this helpful
Reasonable, worth it for your 1st year
on 25 June 2009
As a social work student, I write this at 5.30am, after a long night of essay writing.
1) Varied content - covers main areas of Sociology and Social Work so can always be used as a basic text for general concepts
2) Accessible style, easy to read
3) Links sociology to practice in a way many specialist texts dont
4) Specifies which Occupational Standards it covers
5) Lots of detail in some areas... functionalism and Marx being two of them
1) I dont like the structure. I would prefer it to be structured by theory, with it then applied but it seems to mix and match in a way that doesnt suit me. Some of the other learning matters books have a more preferable structure.
2) Not in depth enough to use for many assignments past year 1
3) Not enough specifically on models of disability, Durkheim and so on.