on 25 June 2009
As a social work student, I write this at 5.30am, after a long night of essay writing.

Postives:

1) Varied content - covers main areas of Sociology and Social Work so can always be used as a basic text for general concepts

2) Accessible style, easy to read

3) Links sociology to practice in a way many specialist texts dont

4) Specifies which Occupational Standards it covers

5) Lots of detail in some areas... functionalism and Marx being two of them

Negatives:

1) I dont like the structure. I would prefer it to be structured by theory, with it then applied but it seems to mix and match in a way that doesnt suit me. Some of the other learning matters books have a more preferable structure.

2) Not in depth enough to use for many assignments past year 1

3) Not enough specifically on models of disability, Durkheim and so on.
on 28 April 2009
Essential if (like me) you are a 1st year BSc social work student and studying social theory. It is really clear on the key approaches, such as structure/agency, functionalism, postmodernism etc etc also has excellent case studies which bring the theories to life.
Buy it!
on 9 July 2013
This is a brilliant book, I used it for an assignment I had for a module on sociology and community and it was very useful, easy to understand and follow. It puts sociology and social work together very well and provided me with a much clearer understanding, don't think I would have passed without it!
on 19 March 2013
This is a well structured book that has given me a greater understanding throughout my 1st year, and into my second year of my social work degree. It is easy to read and is particularly good is you've never studied sociology before. Highly recommended and I am looking forward to the second edition!
on 8 November 2009
for a sociology novice like me, the book made it easier to understand theories/concepts.
on 3 April 2014
The book received on time and as advertised by the seller. I would recommend it to any social work
student who want to use sociological theories in the profession. the book was recommended to me by
one of my lecturers and it made me understand sociological perspective.
on 10 December 2013
Concise and good for on the go i would recommend Learning Matters social work books to anyone who is starting in social work (degree or job). No HARD JARGON a great way to begin easing you into the subject.
on 25 November 2013
Was in perfect condition, sent so sufficiently and quickly.
absolutely best purchase for my course so far.
The book is perfect for what I needed it for.
on 29 September 2013
Damaged book, unhelpful seller, refund not given although agreed after book has been returned and seller will not response back to emails.
on 2 January 2016
Excellently written, just right for students