- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 4830 KB
- Print Length: 2084 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Geppetto Garten; First edition (14 Jan. 2014)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B006ZDQH0I
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,368,161 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Society On Da Run: Dragons and Cicadas (Short Story Collection) (13th Update) Kindle Edition
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
The term book is important as I was anticipating your standard in depth novel. Well I was wrong, it is lengthy but not your standard novel by any sense of the imagination, in fact it does not follow the normal format. It's very much a collection of short stories, novellas & poetry, but all on the same subject. It took me quite a while to get into, and more than once I considered giving up, especially as the stories appear quite random, it continually jumps so that I couldn't fix on any character or storyline, but I couldn't give up as parts of it did grab me and its unfair to give up on something that is different.
I'm glad that I persevered. Yes the format is different for me, but what I did love was the poetry, the authors fantastic imagination, the writing style (not all, but overall) & the fact that the author explained her thought processes at the end of each segment. When you read these thoughts your understanding of the story segment or poetry obviously changes, so that when you read that segment again it takes on another dimension. Very clever.
The fact that the whole thing is a collection of parts allows you to read it at your leisure. I found that I was able to progress more easily if I read it over time, and not in a continuous session, and I think it is written with that in mind. In fact I'll admit that I am writing this review while still reading the last few segments, and I'm ok with that as you'll understand if you do read this.Read more ›
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
This e-book is also at this time a fascinating experience in experimental publishing. In a brief online interchange with the author, she explained that The Society On The Run (a.k.a. TSODR) is "interlinked stories taking place in the same universe with different characters (most of the characters are re-occurring in most of the stories) and it's updated monthly with newer stories from it's original version. I'm experimenting with it, I call this new style of e-reading a 'subscription book' ... Short stories is my way of creating a universe that I want to get lost in."
Some modern fantasy fiction is written with a distinctive sentence structure and word usage that is not exactly standard English, and is sometimes confused by the general reading public with flawed writing which it is not. The writing in TSODR is well-crafted, and it is mostly standard English; and so is easily approachable by any reader with an open mind, with an appreciation for good writing, and with a taste for a new and exotic genre. The author is a poetess at heart, and often her prose has a graceful and pleasant poetic flow to it. Typos, misspellings and awkward constructions are rare in this well-presented work.
In this huge piece of artistry, I believe you will rarely find a page that disappoints. This is an outstanding fantasy fiction accomplishment!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Anthologies
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Hard Science Fiction
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > High Tech
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Anthologies & Literature Collections
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Anthologies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Hard Science Fiction